Heartburn - Stomach Acid Issue

JJWatt

Any advice as to what to do for heartburn? Its the stomach acid coming up I assume, but any recommendations on how to fix this asides from the typical doctor prescription?

Thanks!

freal

Heartburn is most probably caused by fatty liver which is causing you indigestion.

Eggs (choline in the yolk) and/or spinach and beets (betaine).
Also some fiber might help.

You need to get your peristalsis to at least one full transit per day.

Mittir

I think the simplest approach is to eat easy to digest foods before
trying medication. I get heart burn from certain foods : acidic foods,
under cooked starch, deep fried starchy foods, spicy foods etc.
I have noticed food that causes gas also causes heart burn. So, incomplete
digestion can be a source of this problem.

Most doctors will prescribe something that lowers the production
of acid and that will cause more problem by weakening the digestion
and increasing endotoxin and serotonin. Some people believe low acid
is the cause of heart burn. You can also try small dose digestive enzyme
to see if lack of enzyme is causing the problem. Low thyroid function
lowers gastric juice and slows down peristalsis.

Raw carrot salad or cooked bamboo shoots can be helpful.

And what causes heartburn also slows your peristalsis!

yoshiesque

Chris Kresser, although not a great scientist like Ray Peat, has done some good research on Heartburn/GERD. He has info on what causes it and how to cure it.

http://chriskresser.com/heartburn

Check it out. The summary to what causes it (besides hypothyroidism as RP would suggest) is SIBO and low stomach acid.

And this can be fixed by treating SIBO & supplementing with acid (HCL+Pepsin) until its fixed. Sometimes acid supplementation is enough to kick start good acid production again.

This book is also quite reputable - http://www.amazon.com/Why-Stomach-Acid- ... 0871319314

tara

yoshiesque said:
The summary to what causes it (besides hypothyroidism as RP would suggest) is SIBO and low stomach acid.
I think RP considers hypothyroidism to be the most likely cause of low stomach acid and SIBO.
Though supplements may be helpful till metabolism can be restored.

yoshiesque

While I agree hypothyroidism is the common cause, there seems to be a lot of evidence that treating SIBO/Low Stomach Acid can be fixed using the standard SIBO treatment methods.

This implies that if someone is hypothyroid, they will still be hypothyroid after the treatment. I am not sure if SIBO comes back after that, given that they are hypothyroid.

It would seem unreasonable to not treat low stomach acid/heart burn immediately through acid supplementation, because you dont want acid coming up and damaging your throat or something in between (its happened before with many). Getting the thyroid to go up could take time on the RP diet. But then again you could always supplement with thyroid.

I guess you need to check your TSH/T3/T4.

I've done about four biopsies over almost a decade and never tested positive to H. Pilori. Just pointing that out.

Mariah143

not shure how to work this site. i have a hernia extreme cronic gerd. i take other meds.fromdr. but not heartburn. med. ive tried aloe juice, enzymes. amino acids, apple cider viniger, pepto, you name it im allergic to alot of herbs but am willing to try something. plese ill take any suggestions on how to get ridd of this acid reflux

tara

Mariah143 said:
post 112008 not shure how to work this site. i have a hernia extreme cronic gerd. i take other meds.fromdr. but not heartburn. med. ive tried aloe juice, enzymes. amino acids, apple cider viniger, pepto, you name it im allergic to alot of herbs but am willing to try something. plese ill take any suggestions on how to get ridd of this acid reflux

Hi Mariah,
Is that a hiatus hernia (top of stomach - bottom of oesophagus), or somewhere else?
There were a couple of posts pointing to physical manipulation to help hiatial hernia.

Do you want to tell what you are eating?
And what your general metabolism is like? Body temps and resting pulse?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave Clark

I remember somwhere Peat saying acid reflux, low stomach acid being related to hyothyroidism. (seems like everything is though.....)
Some things to try are D-Limonene, digestive bitters, slippery elm, marshmallow root, ACV, alginates (Life Extension has a product), betaine HCL, baking soda, zinc-carnosine, DGL, etc.

Dave Clark

I wonder if it could be a stomach h pylori infection.
If so, I believe from what I have read that mastic gum will resolve H. Pylori. That's one I missed on the list I mentioned. Also, things that are anti-microbial like raw garlic, oil of oregano, olive leaf, etc., etc., are suppose to kill it and keep it away.

If so, I believe from what I have read that mastic gum will resolve H. Pylori. That's one I missed on the list I mentioned. Also, things that are anti-microbial like raw garlic, oil of oregano, olive leaf, etc., etc., are suppose to kill it and keep it away.

I have some mastic gum I’ll be getting. And some other supplements mentioned. Thank you.

So today is day 3 of no milk. And no heartburn whatsoever.

I am hoping I can tolerate milk again sometime but apparently not right now.

RealNeat

So today is day 3 of no milk. And no heartburn whatsoever.

I am hoping I can tolerate milk again sometime but apparently not right now.
Milk apparently raises stomach acid and gives people with ulcers and GERD issues. I feel I can tolerate it better when warm.

It could also be that the stomach is not acid enough and the calcium in milk buffers the little acid they have causing a dilution.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals