Heartburn from OJ

Lianda

I'm new to the Ray Peat eating plan, and have had some difficulty with it. First of all, there's so much liquid that I don't have an appetite for solid food. (I have a very small appetite from years of chronic dieting).

I get terrible heartburn from drinking OJ. I've added some cream to it to cut the acid, but it still is VERY uncomfortable.

And also- I rarely get colds, but I have one now, and I've always been told that dairy is mucus producing. What should you eat when you have a cold?
Thanks!

Combie

I add a bit of calcium carbonate to my OJ. It neutralises the acid, you get a slightly carbonated drink, and some calcium.

You could just add some bicarb ..

Combie

Only a pinch with bicarb, too much and the juice explodes everywhere!

1/4tsp with calcium

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I read somewhere about the mucus deal from milk, but cannot remember where. And cannot remember exactly how it went. But it's basically from the metabolism speeding up which in turn creates more mucus but should eventually the mucus shouldn't happen anymore.

chris

Charlie said:
I read somewhere about the mucus deal from milk, but cannot remember where. And cannot remember exactly how it went. But it's basically from the metabolism speeding up which in turn creates more mucus but should eventually the mucus shouldn't happen anymore.

That sounds like a response I received from peatarian, when I asked about mucus but I cannot find the answer at the moment.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yeh, I thought is was Peatarian and checked her posts but did not see it. I will check again.

Ray-Z

About your cold, Lianda...

(1) Ray Peat has said that colds may result from infection/inflammation of the intestines, so anything that promotes intestinal health may help avoid or shorten a cold. Examples: substituting fruit, honey, and table sugar for starch; eating a raw carrot daily; reducing fiber consumption by limiting (or cooking the heck out of) vegetables; consuming gelatin or bone broth...

(2) One of the smarties from the RP Fans page (Sabine) said that aspirin, unlike ibuprofen, helped her avert a cold. Since aspirin opposes some effects of serotonin, a stress hormone often formed in the intestine, this suggestion is also an example of (1) above.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
When I was battling that stomach virus aspirin gave me the most relief.

OP
Lianda

Lianda

Thank you all for your input, information and advice.

I'll ignore the milk/mucus info - sounds like another "common knowledge fact" that is really an "urban legend" like so much of nutritional advice!
thanks again- I'm sure I'll be back with more questions -

John Eels

How do you deal with halitosis caused by OJ (fructose)? Is that indicative of a deeper underlying issue (systemic in nature) or may it be bacterial overgrowth (which meant that sugar was fermeneted instead of broken down and absorbed)?