Heartburn From Honey?

Dino D

I get strong heartburn from honey?

Why?

Only from honey, and from white wine, and red wine... short alcoholic drinks also tend to burn a lot more then they did before, with cola its ok...
Everything else does not give me any burn....
What could that be?

I tested helicobacter before and I didnt had it...

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I’m just speculating but it could be fructose malabsorption. Some honey has more fructose than glucose so it can cause symptoms in people with fructose malabsorption. Regular white sugar had a 50:50 ratio of fructose:glucose so doesn’t cause symptoms in people with this issue.

OP
Dino D

Dino D

I’m just speculating but it could be fructose malabsorption. Some honey has more fructose than glucose so it can cause symptoms in people with fructose malabsorption. Regular white sugar had a 50:50 ratio of fructose:glucose so doesn’t cause symptoms in people with this issue.

Hmm, ok... but if it is fructose, shouldnt I have problems with fruit and other fructose sources?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Hmm, ok... but if it is fructose, shouldnt I have problems with fruit and other fructose sources?
It’s all about the equal ratio of glucose to fructose for people with fructose malabsorption. I’m not saying you have that necessarily. It’s just something to research to see if it could be the reason for your symptoms from honey. Different types of honey can have a different ratio.

I don’t know if the H. Pylori test is really reliable. Did you get a methane test?

I’ve been using a tablespoon of honey on an empty stomach with great success against what I perceive as H. Pylori.

Some people are highly allergic to honey and Dr. Peat has recommended the plain kind of honey not the fancy local honey that may be higher in allergens.