Heartburn Drugs (ppi) Linked To Chronic Kidney Disease

haidut

Forum Supporter
This study follows the previous once implicating PPI drugs like Nezium and Prevacid in bone fractures, pneumonia, and bacterial infections. Typically, chronic kidney disease is something only people with diabetes and very old people have to be concerned about, however as you can see taking a PPI drug for as little as 1 year was enough to increase the risk of developing kidney failure.
As you can see, taking the older GERD drugs known as H2 antagonists was not associated with increased risk for kidney disease. However, even those H2 antagonists have risks and it seems that only famotidine is safe enough for long term use. Not surprisingly, famotidine has some very good properties like lowering PTH, increasing glycogen storage and even helping psychiatric conditions like schizophrenia. The lowering of PTH, increasing glycogen storage and lowering of blood glucose make famotidine a prime candidate for prevention/treatment of type II diabetes.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/01/1 ... lems/?_r=0

"...Proton pump inhibitors, or P.P.I.s, the commonly used heartburn medicines, may increase the risk for kidney disease. P.P.I.s are sold under several brand names, including Nexium, Prevacid and Prilosec, and previous studies have linked their use to bone fracture, pneumonia and Clostridium difficile infection."

"...Researchers followed 10,482 people for an average of 13.9 years, comparing those who used P.P.I.s to nonusers and to those who used another type of heartburn medicines called H2 receptor antagonists (brand names Zantac, Tagamet and Pepcid, among others). The study is in JAMA Internal Medicine. After adjusting for many variables, they found that the use of P.P.I.s was independently associated with a 20 percent to 50 percent higher risk of chronic kidney disease. (The use of H2 receptor antagonists was not independently associated with kidney problems.)"

The strange thing about acid reflux is that people have successfully treated or cured the reflux with extra stomach acid, while these medications reduce stomach acid. I really haven't figured that one out.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
The strange thing about acid reflux is that people have successfully treated or cured the reflux with extra stomach acid, while these medications reduce stomach acid. I really haven't figured that one out.
Most of these people have LOW acid and not high. The symptoms can be the same. For the food to make its way back up it usually means it is not getting digested well enough to the duodenal sphincter is not opening and letting the food down the small intestine. So, the only way it can go is up. I do not know of a single doctor that does stomach acid tests before prescribing PPI. They just hand out the pills like candy.

Capt Nirvana

Most of these people have LOW acid and not high. The symptoms can be the same. For the food to make its way back up it usually means it is not getting digested well enough to the duodenal sphincter is not opening and letting the food down the small intestine. So, the only way it can go is up. I do not know of a single doctor that does stomach acid tests before prescribing PPI. They just hand out the pills like candy.
Gas rises when acid meets alkaline or vice versa. Heartburn. It's called a "wild well" in Texas. A "gusher." (Even mild annoyance backs bile up into the esophagus. And vomiting always comes from both the stomach and the proximal end of the small intestine. Guess where fecal vomiting originates?) Stomachs rarely explode but it's happened more than several times. One guy sued Arm & Hammer because their product ruptured his stomach. It was a draw. He won the cash but Arm & Hammer didn't have to post a warning on their baking soda. They still don't have to.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Gas rises when acid meets alkaline or vice versa. Heartburn. It's called a "wild well" in Texas. A "gusher." (Even mild annoyance backs bile up into the esophagus. And vomiting always comes from both the stomach and the proximal end of the small intestine. Guess where fecal vomiting originates?) Stomachs rarely explode but it's happened more than several times. One guy sued Arm & Hammer because their product ruptured his stomach. It was a draw. He won the cash but Arm & Hammer didn't have to post a warning on their baking soda. They still don't have to.

Wow, so fecal matter can make its way all the way back up to the mouth?? Terrible. How often do you think it happens? A few people on the forum complained of fecal breath after a night of poor sleep and lot of burping, which Peat said is due to reverse peristalsis, and that sounds like it can bring the fecal matter back all the way up.
Yeah, I heard of other people damaging their stomachs with large doses baking soda. Usually athletes, ingesting 20g-30g in one sitting for performance benefit. Hopefully, not many people do the same. Anything more than 10g of baking soda can cause issues. If I take any, I put just enough to carbonate a glass of orange juice, which comes down to about half a teaspoon.

EIRE24

What would you advise for acid reflux?

Capt Nirvana

Wow, so fecal matter can make its way all the way back up to the mouth?? Terrible. How often do you think it happens? A few people on the forum complained of fecal breath after a night of poor sleep and lot of burping, which Peat said is due to reverse peristalsis, and that sounds like it can bring the fecal matter back all the way up.
Yeah, I heard of other people damaging their stomachs with large doses baking soda. Usually athletes, ingesting 20g-30g in one sitting for performance benefit. Hopefully, not many people do the same. Anything more than 10g of baking soda can cause issues. If I take any, I put just enough to carbonate a glass of orange juice, which comes down to about half a teaspoon.
Colonic motility averages from 5 to 50 mmHg, but greater pressurization is common. Total reverse peristalsis is very rare, but (1) backflow via haustral shuttling forcing fecal matter (mostly liquid) into the small intestine via an overly relaxed ileocecal valve combined with (2) intestinal retropulsion pushing fecal bacteria up the small intestine is not rare. A corpse has no active gut muscles, so the small intestine eventually doubles in length courtesy of Dr. Death. The small intestine is a coiled spring.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Colonic motility averages from 5 to 50 mmHg, but greater pressurization is common. Total reverse peristalsis is very rare, but (1) backflow via haustral shuttling forcing fecal matter (mostly liquid) into the small intestine via an overly relaxed ileocecal valve combined with (2) intestinal retropulsion pushing fecal bacteria up the small intestine is not rare. A corpse has no active gut muscles, so the small intestine eventually doubles in length courtesy of Dr. Death. The small intestine is a coiled spring.

Thanks. Along the same lines, do you think SIBO is mostly driven from colonic matter backpropagation into the small intestine or due to insufficient gastric acid production (thus allowing bacteria to survive ingestion and populate the small intestine). Maybe both?

Capt Nirvana

What would you advise for acid reflux?
There's usually an initial offending food. The stomach has a secondary brain thanks to the enteric nervous system, and, applying anthropomorphism to the "poor little pail in the dark," it gets "suspicious" of anything sent down the gullet thereafter. It's called a habit, causing the stomach to lose its ability to discriminate between "good" and "bad" foods. Fasting won't help, but "relaxing" the stomach will. Eating nothing but easily digestible foods in a stress-free environment almost always solves the problem. Dr. William Beaumont (Experiments and Observations on the Gastric Juice and the Physiology of Digestion, Second Edition, 1838) listed many of those easily digestible foods almost 200 years ago. (Quoting Ray Peat, "Doctors don't read the old textbooks."

EIRE24

There's usually an initial offending food. The stomach has a secondary brain thanks to the enteric nervous system, and, applying anthropomorphism to the "poor little pail in the dark," it gets "suspicious" of anything sent down the gullet thereafter. It's called a habit, causing the stomach to lose its ability to discriminate between "good" and "bad" foods. Fasting won't help, but "relaxing" the stomach will. Eating nothing but easily digestible foods in a stress-free environment almost always solves the problem. Dr. William Beaumont (Experiments and Observations on the Gastric Juice and the Physiology of Digestion, Second Edition, 1838) listed many of those easily digestible foods almost 200 years ago. (Quoting Ray Peat, "Doctors don't read the old textbooks."
Thank you. This is something for me to look into.

Capt Nirvana

Thanks. Along the same lines, do you think SIBO is mostly driven from colonic matter backpropagation into the small intestine or due to insufficient gastric acid production (thus allowing bacteria to survive ingestion and populate the small intestine). Maybe both?
Probably both. Also, STC (slow transit constipation) can be a factor. STC is especially common in women. So is pelvic floor dysfunction. Childbirth? Estrogen?

Capt Nirvana

Thank you. This is something for me to look into.
By the way, 19th century physicians had no doubts about whether heartburn was caused by acidity or alkalinity. Instead of theorizing, they tested with baking soda. If a patient bloated, they either had enough or too much acid. If they didn't bloat, they either had none or too little.

Waynish

There are many supposed blends out there that are supposedly better than pure baking soda. Baking soda + apple cider vinegar is one... But it is hard to know which blends would nullify the benefit of one of the ingredients. Are the primary beneficisl effects of baking soda neutralized by vinegar?

EIRE24

By the way, 19th century physicians had no doubts about whether heartburn was caused by acidity or alkalinity. Instead of theorizing, they tested with baking soda. If a patient bloated, they either had enough or too much acid. If they didn't bloat, they either had none or too little.
I tried to look up William Beaumont and what foods he advised were easiest to digest but couldnt find anything?

What would you advise for bacterial overgrowths or SIBO? Would antibiotics be a good idea?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
There are many supposed blends out there that are supposedly better than pure baking soda. Baking soda + apple cider vinegar is one... But it is hard to know which blends would nullify the benefit of one of the ingredients. Are the primary beneficisl effects of baking soda neutralized by vinegar?

If the baking soda is taken to combat excess acid then vinegar will largely neutralize those benefits, depending on how much vinegar is added. The extra sodium may sill help with metabolism though.

Capt Nirvana

If the baking soda is taken to combat excess acid then vinegar will largely neutralize those benefits, depending on how much vinegar is added. The extra sodium may sill help with metabolism though.
Simply belching, yawning, stretching, and breaking wind make larger quantities of baking soda perfectly safe. Scuba diving decompression techniques work on dry land too.

Capt Nirvana

I tried to look up William Beaumont and what foods he advised were easiest to digest but couldnt find anything?

What would you advise for bacterial overgrowths or SIBO? Would antibiotics be a good idea?
Dr. Beaumont (1785-1853) is the Father of Gastric Physiology, and he's plastered all over cyberspace. More than a few institutions have been named after him. One way to counteract SIBO is to exceed the intestinal speed limit. Lots of coffee and honey often turn the trick. Breakfast is ideally eliminated at supper time, lunch at breakfast time, and supper at lunch time as a general rule subject to exceptions. Stagnant waters often breed pestilence, especially when critters are retropulsed from our sewer (large intestine) into our restaurant (small intestine).

EIRE24

Dr. Beaumont (1785-1853) is the Father of Gastric Physiology, and he's plastered all over cyberspace. More than a few institutions have been named after him. One way to counteract SIBO is to exceed the intestinal speed limit. Lots of coffee and honey often turn the trick. Breakfast is ideally eliminated at supper time, lunch at breakfast time, and supper at lunch time as a general rule subject to exceptions. Stagnant waters often breed pestilence, especially when critters are retropulsed from our sewer (large intestine) into our restaurant (small intestine).
Thanks for the reply. Really does make a lot of sense and I think from what you are saying i'm guessing your diet has a lot of fat in it as fat is needed to keep bowels moving well. I think perhaps the low fat thing going on in the forum could possibly be why so many people have digestive issues including myself.

Capt Nirvana

Thanks for the reply. Really does make a lot of sense and I think from what you are saying i'm guessing your diet has a lot of fat in it as fat is needed to keep bowels moving well. I think perhaps the low fat thing going on in the forum could possibly be why so many people have digestive issues including myself.
I eat a moderate amount of fat — mostly butter, cheese, eggs, olives, and (not Peat-approved) avocados. Heartburn involves most of the intestines, so it's a good idea to "keep those doggies rolling" before or after every meal. The alimentary canal can be trained like any other "animal." Yogis do it all the time. :-D

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals