Heart Rate

mandance

We all know that optimal thyroid function means better resting heart rates. But what are your views in contrast to those of many long standing studies in which people with higher resting heart rates have a much higher chance of dying earlier than people with lower resting heart rates?

This question came into my mind, but I dont recall Peat talking about this in perticular. But it seems every study that has been done that I have come across, whether it was Harvard, or Mayo etc...it seems that they all suggest through research that higher resting heart rates usually always result in higher mortality. Now I know there are many factors here that would seem to contribute to these people with higher resting heart rates, but what are your views? What are Peats views? Thanks

chris

I think I remember peat saying they measured people's heart rates that were close to heart failure or a heart attack, the hearts were weak so pumping much faster than udual which is one reason people say high heart rate equals higher mortality.

I've also read the idea that higher metabolism/high heartrate contributes to faster repair of cells which would contribute to a longer lifespan.

OP
mandance

mandance

Hey Chris, what you say makes sense and that is what I had originally thought as well. It seems like its hard to find good studies on such things and alot of it leaves out other factors.

When I try to think about it through my understanding though...the saying...the candle that burns twice as bright burns twice as fast. Seeing that the heart is much like a machine, and is a muscle...it also seems to make sense that the more its working, the faster its going to fail given time. But that is what im trying to find out through a Peat lens. Ray seems to believe we should strive for childhood like metabolism, and I agree...but what if higher metabolisms at younger ages were meant to promote growth, what if the slowing of metabolism was intended for longevity and survival once major growth is finished? Babies have the highest heart rates, at 100 or more.

I also tried to find information of resting heart rates of healthy tribes, but could not find much useful data on my initial search. Also makes me wonder about the whole athlete with low resting heart rate thing...athletes seem to have good metabolism yet they have low resting heart rates and generally live healthy. Would be cool to find more specific research Peat has done in regards to the different schools of thought on heart rate and metabolism etc.

juanitacarlos

Unlike a machine though, we have the ability to regenerate. So comparing the heart to a machine is selling short the brilliance of the human body.

jaguar43

mandance said:
Hey Chris, what you say makes sense and that is what I had originally thought as well. It seems like its hard to find good studies on such things and alot of it leaves out other factors.

When I try to think about it through my understanding though...the saying...the candle that burns twice as bright burns twice as fast. Seeing that the heart is much like a machine, and is a muscle...it also seems to make sense that the more its working, the faster its going to fail given time. But that is what im trying to find out through a Peat lens. Ray seems to believe we should strive for childhood like metabolism, and I agree...but what if higher metabolisms at younger ages were meant to promote growth, what if the slowing of metabolism was intended for longevity and survival once major growth is finished? Babies have the highest heart rates, at 100 or more.

I also tried to find information of resting heart rates of healthy tribes, but could not find much useful data on my initial search. Also makes me wonder about the whole athlete with low resting heart rate thing...athletes seem to have good metabolism yet they have low resting heart rates and generally live healthy. Would be cool to find more specific research Peat has done in regards to the different schools of thought on heart rate and metabolism etc.

The heart is not a machine, there has to be a certain amount of stimulation in order to function and maintain structure ( mind and Tissue). Szent Gyorgyi staircase effect. Not all tribes are created equal. The Studies are going to be hard to find. Babies and kids have the high adaptation characteristics, more likely to be happy. long distance runners have bad metabolism, short run track runners have good metabolism.

OP
mandance

mandance

I understand the points. Still searching for the answer though. Again, with so much dating suggesting people with increased resting heart rates die younger than those with lower resting heart rates. etc

jaguar43

mandance said:
I understand the points. Still searching for the answer though. Again, with so much dating suggesting people with increased resting heart rates die younger than those with lower resting heart rates. etc

You are not going to find it, we are here for an alternative health. Ray Peat said that you won't find good studies on pub med because they are pay by the corporations.

http://books.google.com/books?id=CgQQEX ... se&f=false

If you want answers go buy books.

tomisonbottom

We all know that optimal thyroid function means better resting heart rates. But what are your views in contrast to those of many long standing studies in which people with higher resting heart rates have a much higher chance of dying earlier than people with lower resting heart rates?

This question came into my mind, but I dont recall Peat talking about this in perticular. But it seems every study that has been done that I have come across, whether it was Harvard, or Mayo etc...it seems that they all suggest through research that higher resting heart rates usually always result in higher mortality. Now I know there are many factors here that would seem to contribute to these people with higher resting heart rates, but what are your views? What are Peats views? Thanks

Well, remember you can't take anything out of context.

A high heart rate ISN'T good if your pulse is low.
You need both a good pulse and heart rate, and I doubt any of those studies took pulse or metabolic rate into account.

You can do a study proving water is dangerous with the right conditions. Everything has to have context.