Heart rate reduction and longevity in mice

Giraffe

Only thoughts... I don't know anything about the drug used, only the little you read when you do a quick internet search.

C57BL/6 mice are more sensitive to noise and odours and are more likely to bite than the more docile laboratory strains such as BALB/c.

C57BL/6 has many unusual characteristics that make it useful for some work and inappropriate for other: It is unusually sensitive to pain and to cold, and analgesic medications are less effective in it. Unlike most mouse strains, it drinks alcoholic beverages voluntarily. It is more susceptible than average to morphine addiction, atherosclerosis, and age-related hearing loss.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C57BL/6
Ivabradine is a novel medication used for the symptomatic management of stable angina pectoris.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivabradine
So mice prone to developing angina who were treated with a drug used for angina had a longer life expectancy than mice treated with a placebo. Do we suspect a little bias here?

And there is really not much I could find about the drug. It is supposed to work via inhibiting a very specific channel, but I think it would be interesting to read a study that looked at bio-markers for stress.

OP
Ahanu

Ahanu

Giraffe said:
post 117775 So mice prone to developing angina who were treated with a drug used for angina had a longer life expectancy than mice treated with a placebo. Do we suspect a little bias here?

Well that would be interesting! Where did you read that this mice were prone to agina? Or mice in general?

I am not sure that the researchers are realy that corrupt or blind as you suggest. But maybe they are?

Last edited by a moderator:

Giraffe

SugarBoy said:
post 117777
Giraffe said:
post 117775 So mice prone to developing angina who were treated with a drug used for angina had a longer life expectancy than mice treated with a placebo. Do we suspect a little bias here?
Well that would be interesting! Where did you read that this mice were prone to agina? Or mice in general?
"While angina pectoris can derive from anemia, abnormal heart rhythms and heart failure, its main cause is coronary artery disease, an atherosclerotic process affecting the arteries feeding the heart."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angina_pectoris

SugarBoy said:
post 117777 I am not sure that the researchers are realy that corrupt or blind as you suggest. But maybe they are?
This is a study about the effectiveness of this drug in easiliy stressed and panicking mice which are susceptible to atherosclerosis.

OP
Ahanu

Ahanu

Ok. Quite
Giraffe said:
post 117812 This is a study about the effectiveness of this drug in easiliy stressed and panicking mice which are susceptible to atherosclerosis.

I think they used this mice because:t is the most widely used "genetic background" for genetically modified mice for use as models of human disease. They are the most widely used and best-selling mouse strain, due to the availability of congenic strains, easy breeding, and robustness.

And the purpose of the study was:
Heart rate correlates inversely with life span across all species, including humans. In patients with cardiovascular disease, higher heart rate is associated with increased mortality, and such patients benefit from pharmacological heart rate reduction. However, cause-and-effect relationships between heart rate and longevity, notably in healthy individuals, are not established. We therefore prospectively studied the effects of a life-long pharmacological heart rate reduction on longevity in mice. We hypothesized, that the total number of cardiac cycles is constant, and that a 15 % heart rate reduction might translate into a 15 % increase in life span.

OP
Ahanu

Ahanu

Thank you for your thoughts , Giraffe!

Giraffe

SugarBoy said:
post 117831 Thank you for your thoughts , Giraffe!
:hattip

SugarBoy said:
post 117830 I think [highlight=yellow]they used this mice[/highlight] because:t is the most widely used "genetic background" for genetically modified mice for use [highlight=yellow]as models of human disease[/highlight]. They are the most widely used and best-selling mouse strain, due to the availability of congenic strains, easy breeding, and robustness.

Related thread: Higher Resting Heart Rate Linked to Higher Risk of All Cause Mortality

OP
Ahanu

Ahanu

Giraffe said:
post 117940 Related thread: Higher Resting Heart Rate Linked to Higher Risk of All Cause Mortality

Thank you. I read it. Its interesting. Without measuring the stress levels it is oft course hard to draw any serious conclusions.
Anyway, after reading lightly a few studys, it seems that heart rate variability is a much more reliable indicator of health than the resting heart, but i still have to read through these studys to get broader picture.
It's an interesting subject :): and i am glad people , like you, in this forum actualy read the studys and look also behind the conclusions of the researchers.

a lot of sick people have a high heart rate. It is a symptom of a lot of illness.

But if you take someone with a HR of 50, and give them metabolic boost, their HR can become 70 or 80, same person, just raised metabolism. Maybe that person will live longer, who knows.