Heart palpitations when eating fat

mad539

I'm noticing that after eating a meal with higher amounts of fat, that i get heart palpitations and/or heavier beating of the heart. When eating lowish fat and higher carb, i don't get it.
I also have often a stinging pain in the right liver area, after eating high-fat meals, too.

Is this some kind of gallbladder issue? Or endotoxin related?
Anyone with the same issue?

TheSir

Are you eating starches with the fat? This would typically result in such reaction in me. Sugar and fat on the other hand would not.

OP
M

mad539

That's interesting. The meal consists of rice (~75gr), meat (~250gr chicken) and fat (~30gr beef tallow) where i get the palpitations. Do you know why this happens in you?

TheSir

That's interesting. The meal consists of rice (~75gr), meat (~250gr chicken) and fat (~30gr beef tallow) where i get the palpitations. Do you know why this happens in you?
I'd say endotoxin if the reaction wasn't so immediate. There is just something about starch and fat that doesn't mix well. At the same time though, I can eat butter and bread with no such reaction. It's possible that cooked fats that are the problem.

SOMO

There's quite a few reports of these heart "sensations" on this forum. I wouldn't worry about this too much. Haidut posted some studies how the heart responds rapidly to dietary saturated fats and the venous/arterial remodels quickly. These sensations could be the heart clearing out debris and it might not be a bad thing.

gaze

this may be an interesting thread to read through:

gaze

does it not happen if you use 10-15grams of tallow instead? have you tried butter rather than tallow ?

OP
M

mad539

this may be an interesting thread to read through:
Interesting, thanks.

does it not happen if you use 10-15grams of tallow instead? have you tried butter rather than tallow ?
It doesn't, but i don't now exactly the cut-off in grams. Also don't know if butter makes a difference, as i use 90% of the time tallow.

I'd say endotoxin if the reaction wasn't so immediate. There is just something about starch and fat that doesn't mix well. At the same time though, I can eat butter and bread with no such reaction. It's possible that cooked fats that are the problem.
It is pretty immediate, sometimes even while eating or instantly after.

There's quite a few reports of these heart "sensations" on this forum. I wouldn't worry about this too much. Haidut posted some studies how the heart responds rapidly to dietary saturated fats and the venous/arterial remodels quickly. These sensations could be the heart clearing out debris and it might not be a bad thing.
Somewhere i've read that the body has a hard time digesting fats and carbs at the same time, so i think it's best to eat fat+protein or carbs+protein, but just don't mix both of them in the same time in huge amounts.

Iceman2016

I have something similar happen to me whenever I would (rarely) have a couple of pieces of Popeyes or KFC fried chicken. I would feel a tightness/heaviness in my heart as if it's having to work harder than normal. I assumed it's because of the high amount of fat coming into circulation. I could be wrong of course. Needless to say, after I first noticed the connection I stopped having fast food fried chicken even rarely. This was before discovering Peat's work and limiting pufa intake in general.

Tabrid

I get EXACTLY the same thing when I eat fat heavy diet, especially saturated fats. Olive oil does this too but only in higher portions. Throbbing, strong pulse that is uncortably noticable. When I do red meat/organ + fruit only diet this condition essentially goes away. I think high fat diets whether combined with carbs or keto is not sustainable for long term cardiovascular health.

Edit: Milky desserts and dairy are the biggest triggers for me, after that is saturated fat.

Missenger

I get EXACTLY the same thing when I eat fat heavy diet, especially saturated fats. Olive oil does this too but only in higher portions. Throbbing, strong pulse that is uncortably noticable. When I do red meat/organ + fruit only diet this condition essentially goes away. I think high fat diets whether combined with carbs or keto is not sustainable for long term cardiovascular health.

Edit: Milky desserts and dairy are the biggest triggers for me, after that is saturated fat.
Cheese by itself would probably be safer in that case, greek yogurt, clean fresh cheese, hard cheese. Cooked sugars mixed with fats or most fats just by themselves without any protein could just be unhealthy in general.

Last edited:

Iceman2016

Interesting article:

"Just four hours after consuming a milkshake made with whole milk, heavy whipping cream and ice cream, healthy young men also had blood vessels less able to relax and an immune response similar to one provoked by an infection, the team of Medical College of Georgia scientists report in the journal Laboratory Investigation."

"While none of the scientists recommend going overboard on calories and sugar either, the healthy males in the study who instead consumed a meal with the same number of calories but no fat -- three big bowls of sugar-coated flakes with no-fat milk -- did not experience the same harmful changes to their blood, red blood cells and blood vessels."

"There were changes in white blood cells, called monocytes, which got fat themselves trying to take up the excessive fat. Their earlier studies have shown these so-called foamy monocytes promote inflammation and show up in atherosclerotic plaque. Monocytes more typically travel the circulation looking for red blood cells that need elimination, because they are old and/or diseased.

The fluid portion of the blood, called the plasma, also looked different. When they spin and separate different components of the blood to get to the red blood cells, they typically get a clear yellowish plasma on top, Benson says. But after a single, high-fat load, the fluid portion of the blood was already thick, off-color and filled with lipids.

Their blood also contained the expected high fat and cholesterol levels."

gaze

Interesting article:

"Just four hours after consuming a milkshake made with whole milk, heavy whipping cream and ice cream, healthy young men also had blood vessels less able to relax and an immune response similar to one provoked by an infection, the team of Medical College of Georgia scientists report in the journal Laboratory Investigation."

"While none of the scientists recommend going overboard on calories and sugar either, the healthy males in the study who instead consumed a meal with the same number of calories but no fat -- three big bowls of sugar-coated flakes with no-fat milk -- did not experience the same harmful changes to their blood, red blood cells and blood vessels."

"There were changes in white blood cells, called monocytes, which got fat themselves trying to take up the excessive fat. Their earlier studies have shown these so-called foamy monocytes promote inflammation and show up in atherosclerotic plaque. Monocytes more typically travel the circulation looking for red blood cells that need elimination, because they are old and/or diseased.

The fluid portion of the blood, called the plasma, also looked different. When they spin and separate different components of the blood to get to the red blood cells, they typically get a clear yellowish plasma on top, Benson says. But after a single, high-fat load, the fluid portion of the blood was already thick, off-color and filled with lipids.

interesting.

i wish there was more background to this video:

View: https://youtu.be/t7U_IJPXwqE

it's posted by john mcdougall who's obviously in favor of low fat, but i wish there was an explanation of the foods eaten before and after, and the breakdown of the fatty acids

Tabrid

Interesting article:

Omg. Pudding, milkshake etc are the worst offenders for me.

youngsinatra

interesting.

i wish there was more background to this video:

View: https://youtu.be/t7U_IJPXwqE

it's posted by john mcdougall who's obviously in favor of low fat, but i wish there was an explanation of the foods eaten before and after, and the breakdown of the fatty acids

I also wanted to link the article and the video too. (lol)
To me it always seemed a bit unscientific and sketchy, but it has matched my experience perfectly. I think Dr. Esselstyn also has some material on dietary fat and endothelial dysfunction.

On low total fat my heart is not giving me any uncomfortable sensation. When I eat a more fatty meal I feel like my heart is pumping more intensely and my heart rate also drops. Also felt chest pain and shortness of breath frequently when I ate a really high fat meal. Of course at the cardiologist everything was normal, as it is expected with a otherwise healthy 20 year old adult. But I don‘t feel that it is a good thing to have.

OP
M

mad539

I just ate ground meat (beef) + beef tallow, wich resulted in 69gr of protein and 76gr of fat, with zero carbs, and did not have the palpitations.

On low total fat my heart is not giving me any uncomfortable sensation. When I eat a more fatty meal I feel like my heart is pumping more intensely and my heart rate also drops. Also felt chest pain and shortness of breath frequently when I ate a really high fat meal. Of course at the cardiologist everything was normal, as it is expected with a otherwise healthy 20 year old adult. But I don‘t feel that it is a good thing to have.
Your symptoms match mine. I'd be interesting if the sensations stopped when not eating any carbs with the high fat meal.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals