Heart Failure Deaths On The Rise In Younger US Adults

haidut

Forum Supporter
The bad news for younger Americans just keep on coming. In addition to lethal cancers, diabetes, stroke, CVD, infertility, etc now we can add yet another "old man" disease to the list of banes inflicting the "young".
The "Young" Have Now Become The Old
Heart failure is a condition traditionally seen in people 65 and older, and mortality from it has been dropping over the last 2 decades. Yet the study below found that over the this trend of decline has not only reversed but the mortality from this condition is rising mostly in people younger than 65. And of course, we keep hearing the old mantra "eat less and exercise more" because, you see, this increases in heart failure deaths is apparently caused by high rates of obesity and diabetes, despite those rates either holding steady or also falling over the last 2 decades. Trust us on this folks, we got this. /s

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0735109719339439?via=ihub
Heart failure deaths are on the rise in younger US adults, researchers say - CNN

"...A recent decline in heart failure-related deaths in the United States has reversed, and those types of deaths are now climbing nationwide, especially among adults ages 35 to 64.The trend, which also revealed some racial disparities, was found in a research paper published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology on Monday.The paper points to an increase in the prevalence of obesity and diabetes as possibly driving a parallel rise in heart failure deaths."

"...The research demonstrates "that greater loss of life from heart failure is occurring, especially premature death in those under the age of 65," said Dr. Sadiya Khan, an assistant professor of cardiology at Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicinein Chicago, who was first author of the paper.The paper doesn't distinguish why this rise in heart failure deaths occurred -- for instance, are more younger adults developing heart failure, or is heart failure more deadly now? "Our suspicion is that it is likely the former, because of the obesity, hypertension and diabetes epidemics," Khan said.About 5.7 million adults in the United States have heart failure, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Heart failure is more common people who are obese or overweight, as excess weight can put strain on the heart, and those who have a history of heart attack, among other risk factors.

ShotTrue

That's sad ( not in a pathetic way, I mean more in like it's unfortunate).
The AHA I hear spreads a lot of harmful and incorrect information.

Lilac

I recently discovered Soph, a 14-year-old comedienne/social critic on YouTube. She is scarily insightful. Here, before the one-minute mark, she says she is "essentially an old man at this point." She was probably 13 when she made this:

lampofred

I recently discovered Soph, a 14-year-old comedienne/social critic on YouTube. She is scarily insightful. Here, before the one-minute mark, she says she is "essentially an old man at this point." She was probably 13 when she made this:

Younger people/kids are definitely more insightful as to what's going on (even if they aren't actually trying to be) because of their better intuitions...

morgan#1

Younger people/kids are definitely more insightful as to what's going on (even if they aren't actually trying to be) because of their better intuitions...
I think you’re right on with that. They’re actually in touch with their insights and intuition. It seems the older we get our minds get stuck in routines. Often I get stuck in my mind, when I was younger that would’ve been unheard of, I was so focused on the world around me, I wore the same Levi jeans to school for a week because I wasn’t paying attention to stuff like that. The teacher came to me after school and asked me were things ok at home.

I’ve been paying attention to Selye’s GAS model. And it seems that as much as we paint ourselves to be individuals, we are the human kind. And it seems we keep making the wrong turn...I hope I’m alive when things really start changing. The youth know better, because they haven’t been indoctrinated, and they know what play is.

Last edited:

TeaRex14

I'm willing to take a wild stab and assume a suppressed thyroid may be at the roots of the issue. It's well known that a decreased amount of active T3 reduces/weakens cardiac output.

lampofred

I think you’re right on with that. They’re actually in touch with their insights and intuition. It seems the older we get our minds get stuck in routines. Often I get stuck in my mind, when I was younger that would’ve been unheard of, I was so focused on the world around me, I wore the same Levi jeans to school for a week because I wasn’t paying attention to stuff like that. The teacher came to me after school and asked me were things ok at home.

I’ve been paying attention to Selye’s GAS model. And it seems that as much as we paint ourselves to be individuals, we are the human kind. And it seems we keep making the wrong turn...I hope I’m alive when things really start changing. The youth know better, because they haven’t been indoctrinated, and they know what play is.

From a physical/nutritional standpoint, I think a consistent high animal protein intake + thyroid/coffee/B1 (and low PUFA) is very helpful for getting out of rigidity. Too many carbs, especially starch, is horrible. That's part of the reason why Dr. Peat so strongly recommends sugar over starch, don't remember where but he says rulers pushed starch in order to keep working class people in their place. But like you said, there is a strong mental/experiential component to it too, older people have the baggage of years of being indoctrinated in school/work which kids haven't gone through yet.