Healthy Locations. Altitude, Sunny, Fruit

Birdie

So, what location, what city, do you think is the most healthy considering high altitude, lots of sun, and fruit available? What else would you want to add to the list for a healthy location?

Some I am thinking of include San Miguel de Allende, Panama, Perth, Uruguay, and Buenos Aires.

Another qualification, for me, would be level walking areas. Language could be a consideration too.

Is there any year-round healthy place that you'd like to live in?

Franz

The canary islands!
Thats the plan, warm the year round but never too hot :D

I'd have to learn spanish though...

OP
B

Birdie

Franz said:
The canary islands!
Thats the plan, warm the year round but never too hot :D

I'd have to learn spanish though...
That sounds good, Franz. I'll google that one. Thanks.

I used to speak Spanish (limited). My husband speaks only English. A lot of good places with only or mainly Spanish spoken.

kiran

Colorado!
Altitude almost entirely higher than 5000ft. It does get cold, but you'll have sunny days even in the winter.

OP
B

Birdie

kiran said:
Colorado!
Altitude almost entirely higher than 5000ft. It does get cold, but you'll have sunny days even in the winter.

Altitude and light great but what about fruit? And, this is just personal to me, I'm looking for warm.

San Miguel de Allende looks very good but it is carved out of a mountain. That means hilly. I can't do hilly. This isn't easy!!

OP
B

Birdie

I see that Uruguay's altitude is 144 ft. Kinda rules it out.

Another factor in all this is a country's attitude toward foreigners. You can be in a high altitude, coolish place with lots of fruit, but if the people there resent immigrants, it won't work.

Panama welcomes immigrants, but sea level....

bradley

Ecuador! Right on the equator, but also much of the country is at 10,000 feet, so not too hot. I'm heading there next week!

OP
B

Birdie

bradley said:
bradley said:
Ecuador! Right on the equator, but also much of the country is at 10,000 feet, so not too hot. I'm heading there next week!

Vilcabamba seems to have it all. Good altitude, spring like weather year round, clean air and water, tons of organic produce. High life expectancy.

http://internationalliving.com/2012/02/ ... a-ecuador/
Oh, so you read International Living, too!!

let us know how you like it there. I guess you're going to scout it out. Wow. Do you speak Spanish?

gabriel79

Birdie,
. About Buenos Aires. Though I love my city, I wouldn't recommend it from a Peat point of view. It's at sea level, and there's not much fruit variety, especially in winter. Summer is too hot and humid for my taste, though winter is quite nice.

OP
B

Birdie

gabriel79 said:
Birdie,
. About Buenos Aires. Though I love my city, I wouldn't recommend it from a Peat point of view. It's at sea level, and there's not much fruit variety, especially in winter. Summer is too hot and humid for my taste, though winter is quite nice.
Thanks, Gabriel. Yes, the sea level is a problem. And, now that you tell me about the fruit. Ah, too bad.

OP
B

Birdie

Nick810 said:
France could be good.... raw dairy, grassfed meat.
If I could live wherever I wanted, I've always thought of France. The food that works, the walking with pretty things to see...

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
What does it take legally to move to a place like Ecuador? Have to pay some big fees or something like that?

OP
B

Birdie

Charlie said:
What does it take legally to move to a place like Ecuador? Have to pay some big fees or something like that?
Charlie - Click on Bradley's link to International Living for a start.

OP
B

Birdie

kettlebell said:
La Rinconada, Peru. Probably freezing but the town is at 16 700 feet.
Wow. San Miguel de Allende is only 2000 feet. Better than sea level. But..

Also, as Peat says, being at a high altitude for periods of time can be beneficial. So, maybe if one lived near a high altitude spot, then... Still, that entails travel and leaving home.

I wonder if there are places that are pretty good altitude, sun and fruit wise. A compromise. I'm really wondering about sea level. I've always wanted to be near the sea... ?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Birdie said:
Charlie said:
Charlie - Click on Bradley's link to International Living for a start.
Thank you, Birdie! :)

OP
B

Birdie

Here is the link to the postcard from International Living on Costa Rica:

International Living <[email protected]>

It gives some background. Costa Rica does have some places with higher altitudes.