Healthy Increase in Metabolism or Increasing Stress?

LoveBlood

Across the net I've seen info stating that things such as salt/sucrose/caffeine increase adrenaline, is that not the case? Peat says that salt and sucrose decrease stress hormones, right? How can we ascertain whether we're achieving a healthy raise in temp/heart rate/metabolism or if we're just getting ramped up on stress?.

I'm starting to gravitate back towards more Peat-style eating but I'm wondering if all the benefits I felt I was experiencing on my Peat-style diet was just buzzing on adrenaline rather than increased thyroid?. Towards the end of my Peating I was having sleep trouble, feeling antsy and eventually had some kind of panic attack/low blood sugar lameness that totally bugged me out and scared me off the path I was on.

You can see what I was eating and some experiences in this thread viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1495

(Laptop crashed as I was writing that, came back and the text was still here, snazzy!) :)

Mittir

Regular blood tests are helpful in addition to following temperature and pulse.. You can see for sure if things are improving or not. I use TSH, T4, T3, Prolactin, PTH,calcium, Cortisol, Co2, Electrolyte, albumin, lipid panel every 3-4 months. Magnesium, Phosphate ,Iron saturation and ferritin once a year. For some hormone tests time of the day matters. Here is a quote from RP
" Blood tests for cholesterol, albumin, glucose, sodium, lactate, total thyroxine and total T3 are useful to know, because they help to evaluate the present thyroid status, and sometimes they can suggest ways to correct the problem.

Less common blood or urine tests (adrenaline, cortisol, ammonium, free fatty acids), if they are available, can help to understand compensatory reactions to hypothyroidism."
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/hy ... dism.shtml

jaguar43

LoveBlood said:
Across the net I've seen info stating that things such as salt/sucrose/caffeine increase adrenaline, is that not the case? Peat says that salt and sucrose decrease stress hormones, right? How can we ascertain whether we're achieving a healthy raise in temp/heart rate/metabolism or if we're just getting ramped up on stress?.

I'm starting to gravitate back towards more Peat-style eating but I'm wondering if all the benefits I felt I was experiencing on my Peat-style diet was just buzzing on adrenaline rather than increased thyroid?. Towards the end of my Peating I was having sleep trouble, feeling antsy and eventually had some kind of panic attack/low blood sugar lameness that totally bugged me out and scared me off the path I was on.

You can see what I was eating and some experiences in this thread viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1495

(Laptop crashed as I was writing that, came back and the text was still here, snazzy!) :)

I think you went overboard on trying to eat a certain way. I would try having three meals a day with snack in between. Remember that ray peat doesn't lay out a meal plan and say stick with it or you'll die, he just gives out advice, but its up to you to try and fit it into your day in an organize way. Recently I been seeing people who are having problems with ray peat advice who put a list of foods they eat but its seems that they eating it throughout the day without having a good meal or have bad eating habits. Also try and ease each supplement in, don't try everything at once or you'll wont know what helps.

OP
L

LoveBlood

jag2594 said:
I think you went overboard on trying to eat a certain way. I would try having three meals a day with snack in between. Remember that ray peat doesn't lay out a meal plan and say stick with it or you'll die, he just gives out advice, but its up to you to try and fit it into your day in an organize way. Recently I been seeing people who are having problems with ray peat advice who put a list of foods they eat but its seems that they eating it throughout the day without having a good meal or have bad eating habits. Also try and ease each supplement in, don't try everything at once or you'll wont know what helps.

Yeah, I can see that, I was having a little bit of something every hour rather than spaced out in meals, I was doing that to try and keep pulse and temp up and steady rather than rising and falling.

Ben

Mittir said:
Regular blood tests are helpful in addition to following temperature and pulse.. You can see for sure if things are improving or not. I use TSH, T4, T3, Prolactin, PTH,calcium, Cortisol, Co2, Electrolyte, albumin, lipid panel every 3-4 months. Magnesium, Phosphate ,Iron saturation and ferritin once a year. For some hormone tests time of the day matters. Here is a quote from RP
" Blood tests for cholesterol, albumin, glucose, sodium, lactate, total thyroxine and total T3 are useful to know, because they help to evaluate the present thyroid status, and sometimes they can suggest ways to correct the problem.

Less common blood or urine tests (adrenaline, cortisol, ammonium, free fatty acids), if they are available, can help to understand compensatory reactions to hypothyroidism."
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/hy ... dism.shtml
Hey Mittir, do you get these tests done at the doctor or do you order them online, and do you have to pay for it fully or does your insurance help out?

So far it's clear from my blood tests that my free T3 had a tendency to be low, while fT4 and TSH were normal. Then T3 came out normal on a blood test. But still, I started supplementing cynomel and I'm using 3x more T3 than they prescribed me and I feel better. I would likely get a hyperthyroid result on a blood test, although I'm having no hyperthyroid symptoms. Is the problem that they are testing only free T3/T4, and if they tested the total hormones it would show my real thyroid function? I know RP spoke negatively of the free hormone tests for thyroid.