Healthy Alternatives For Ketchup , Mustard , Mayonnaise?

Mary Lyn

I make a good mayo with soaked cashew nuts - they are not to bad for PUFA's. And I don't need to eat much at a time unless it is to make potato salad with pickles and capers.

One cup soaked raw cashews with water to just about to cover, one clove garlic, one teasp mustard a splash of cider vinegar and blended. you need a high speed blender. I freeze it into small amounts, just being me.

LiveWire

I think olive oil is typically used when you want low pufa. Not sure coconut oil would work as it needs to be refrigerated and would likely solidify.

nwo2012

Yes, easy to make with a good quality olive oil, doesnt work with coconut oil unless you make a small batch in summer for one days use only.

tankasnowgod

There are some ketchups out there made with real sugar. Should be good, unless you are avoiding something in the tomatoes.

Mustard? I've used pretty much anything out there. No issues I'm concerned with.

Mayo? Ah yes, that is a PUFA slurry. You could always make your own from MCT oil, or get the stuff made from Avocado oil, but mayo is more of a problem. As a substitute personally, I just use sour cream if I can control it.

Ingenol

There are some ketchups out there made with real sugar. Should be good, unless you are avoiding something in the tomatoes.

Mustard? I've used pretty much anything out there. No issues I'm concerned with.

Mayo? Ah yes, that is a PUFA slurry. You could always make your own from MCT oil, or get the stuff made from Avocado oil, but mayo is more of a problem. As a substitute personally, I just use sour cream if I can control it.
Unfortunately mustard has an appreciable amount of PUFA in it. At least in the states they avoid having to label it because it can be rounded down to less than one gram per serving, but you're getting a few grams with a reasonable portion or--if you love mustard like me--a few more when eating half the jar.

LiveWire

Unfortunately mustard has an appreciable amount of PUFA in it. At least in the states they avoid having to label it because it can be rounded down to less than one gram per serving, but you're getting a few grams with a reasonable portion or--if you love mustard like me--a few more when eating half the jar.

This is why in Europe you have to state fat/carb/protein content per 100 grams. It doesn’t matter what the serving is or what you as a manufacturer manipulate it to be. It’s really sad to see how corrupt and corporate interest-adjusted the system is in the US. Anything to screw you.

YourUniverse

I believe this to be the case with salsa (ex. Tostitos) as well. Soybean oil is listed on the label (fairly low in the list of ingredients, mind you), but 0 PUFA is reported. Tiny serving sizes.

Literally

To make mayo with coconut oil, just use a blend of regular coconut oil and "fractionated coconut oil" which is often sold in supermarkets as "liquid coconut oil" or "liquid at room temperature".

Ingenol

This is why in Europe you have to state fat/carb/protein content per 100 grams. It doesn’t matter what the serving is or what you as a manufacturer manipulate it to be. It’s really sad to see how corrupt and corporate interest-adjusted the system is in the US. Anything to screw you.

How many grams of fat does a typical label say mustard contains per 100g?

LiveWire

How many grams of fat does a typical label say mustard contains per 100g?

A typical content is 4.9 grams of fat per 100 grams of mustard.

The ingredients are water, mustard seed, vinegar, salt, glucose syrup, pepper.

So the fat obviously comes from the seeds themselves without other fat added. Otherwise it’d be listed, the list must be exhaustive by law.

Of those 4.9 %, only 0,5 is saturated, the rest is either PUFA or MUFA. By law, in the EU you have to show total fat and SFA thereof.

Ingenol

A typical content is 4.9 grams of fat per 100 grams of mustard.

The ingredients are water, mustard seed, vinegar, salt, glucose syrup, pepper.

So the fat obviously comes from the seeds themselves without other fat added. Otherwise it’d be listed, the list must be exhaustive by law.

Of those 4.9 %, only 0,5 is saturated, the rest is either PUFA or MUFA. By law, in the EU you have to show total fat and SFA thereof.

Thanks! According to wikipedia, the oil from the seeds is ~60% MFUA and 20% PUFA, so if a tablespoon of mustard is ~15g then that's 5 * 0.15 * 0.2 = 0.15g of PUFA per tablespoon. Probably not worth sweating if it's something you enjoy and aren't eating copious amounts of on a regular basis.