Healthier Grooming & Beauty Hacks

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Q: You say vegetable oils are hazardous to your health. What vegetable oils are you talking about?

"Mainly, I'm referring to soybean oil, corn oil, safflower oil, canola, sesame oil, sunflower seed oil, palm oil, and any others that are labeled as "unsaturated" or "polyunsaturated." Almond oil, which is used in many cosmetics, is very unsaturated." Ray Peat

Lizb

How's this for ingredients for a tooth paste please?

OP
Rinse & rePeat

I wish I could weigh in on it, but it has some strong ingredients that I would have reactions to. Personally I think simpler is better.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Ok thanks. I'll try a pot until I find something else maybe.
I use coconut oil and it works great. It takes a few days to get through not getting that minty foamy feeling, but no gagging now either. Just use a little baking soda once a week if you feel you need an extra scrubbing.

Lizb

I use coconut oil and it works great. It takes a few days to get through not getting that minty foamy feeling, but no gagging now either. Just use a little baking soda once a week if you feel you need an extra scrubbing.
I presume you don't spit it down the sink?! How much do you use?

OP
Rinse & rePeat

I probably shouldn't, but I spit it down the sink and rinse it down with very hot water. I use a really big glob on my toothbrush. Oil pulling works very well in lieu of brushing, but it is time consuming so using the coconut oil is my happy medium.

David PS

I purposefully stay away from peppermint.

Lizb

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I purposefully stay away from peppermint.

My girlfriend was big into those peppermint Altoids and had heart attack symptoms, or even an attack, at a mall once recently. She said she had eaten quite a few of them and suddenly she had enormous pain in her jaw and teeth and pain in her shoulder going down her left arm. She saidvit was excruciating and she silently prayed to get through it and it finally stopped. She said she will never have peppermint again.

OP
Rinse & rePeat

"Besides keeping phosphates low, getting a lot of vitamin K, and maybe rubbing some onto the gums, might help; it's antiinflammatory. Some people have reverse gingivitis by "rinsing" with coconut oil twice a day, swishing it around for a couple of minutes." -Ray Peat e-mail exhange

Lizb

L
My girlfriend was big into those peppermint Altoids and had heart attack symptoms, or even an attack, at a mall once recently. She said she had eaten quite a few of them and suddenly she had enormous pain in her jaw and teeth and pain in her shoulder going down her left arm. She saidvit was excruciating and she silently prayed to get through it and it finally stopped. She said she will never have peppermint again
"Besides keeping phosphates low, getting a lot of vitamin K, and maybe rubbing some onto the gums, might help; it's antiinflammatory. Some people have reverse gingivitis by "rinsing" with coconut oil twice a day, swishing it around for a couple of minutes." -Ray Peat e-mail exhange
Lovely thank you for taking the time to post this. I'll give it a try.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Agreed PUFA riddance is the biggest takeaway from all of the Ray Peat stuff! I use a lower grade manuka honey, no more tham a 12 and put a thin layer on my face, neck and chest, even slather it on my lips. I let it stay on for an hour and rinse it off in warm water, and don't wash my face that night, leaving the nutrients to do their thing overnight. The honey dissolves the top layers of skin and the next day my skin looks so refreshed! I do it every two to three weeks. Be careful not to get it on your eyebrows as it will lighten them.

I finished my raw manuka honey mask two hours ago and here is my bare face no make-up pic afterwards....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211016-175741_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211016-175741_Gallery.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 73
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Urea is waste nitrogen formed in the liver and excreted in urine, and in smaller amounts in sweat – so who thought it would be a good idea to include it in our cosmetics?! It is taken from farmed animals and used in toiletries and cosmetics as a preservative. Not only is the fact that your moisturiser contains elements of urine a bit gross, but urea also releases the toxic formaldehyde."

K

Kayaker

The study proved that PUFA's stored in the skin makes the skin burn (and overexposure) and cause skin cancers. Being a natural blonde I was proof the study was right, because as time passed and I eliminated PUFA's my skin didn't burn anymore! I was sickened by all the damage I had done to my skin slathering on all that sunscreen, and oh my poor babies!
I also noticed that I don't really burn anymore. I spent hours in the sun without a base tan and all I got was just a little pink.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I also noticed that I don't really burn anymore. I spent hours in the sun without a base tan and all I got was just a little pink.

Isn't that proof that the PUFA's are depleted from out skin reassuring?