Healthier Grooming & Beauty Hacks

akgrrrl

@Rinse & rePeat Where did you get your beet powder from? What a great suggestion @akgrrrl! I also use cocoa powder in my face. It smooths and lifts my skin. Adding the color would be amazing :):
Now you know what was in all those tiny "rouge pots" hanging from a chain women carried 200 yrs ago..
I am still waiting for one of you beauty-sleuths to find some proper kohl...
Does anyone know what that is?
The historical reference?
Anybody look it up?

Lollipop2

Now you know what was in all those tiny "rouge pots" hanging from a chain women carried 200 yrs ago..
I am still waiting for one of you beauty-sleuths to find some proper kohl...
Does anyone know what that is?
The historical reference?
Anybody look it up?
They use it in India all the time. Check an Indian grocery store. Or any Indian based store. They will help you get it if they don’t have it.

akgrrrl

They use it in India all the time. Check an Indian grocery store. Or any Indian based store. They will help you get it if they don’t have it.
Thanks! I did try once at an international grocery but they couldnt tell me what it was made of. I dont want charcoal, or any of the petroleum-waste-based products India uses aaaak had my share of breathing yucky incense already.
Had some good stuff only once and let it slip thru my fingers...could use an old mascara tube and brush with a dot of oil and use on eyelashes and eyebrows with a toothbrush.
Dang! I kick myself for not sourcing

Lollipop2

Thanks! I did try once at an international grocery but they couldnt tell me what it was made of. I dont want charcoal, or any of the petroleum-waste-based products India uses aaaak had my share of breathing yucky incense already.
Had some good stuff only once and let it slip thru my fingers...could use an old mascara tube and brush with a dot of oil and use on eyelashes and eyebrows with a toothbrush.
Dang! I kick myself for not sourcing
I like the mascara from 100PercentPure. Light very clean -

Jennifer

Are any of the kohls below the kind you’re referring to, @akgrrrl?

Jennifer

My pleasure, @akgrrrl! :)

Has anyone here ever used cotton Turkish peshtemal bath towels? I’m looking to replace my ancient towels and because my hair is so long, the plush kind get soaked and take forever to dry during the summer when it’s humid here so I thought the Turkish towels might dry faster. I figured they would also take up less room in the washer, allowing me to go two weeks on one load.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
You’re welcome!?. Btw, when you “wash” the ghee it becomes odorless. That’s the only way you can use it as a face cream otherwise you wouldn’t be able to stand yourself, lol.

When the process is complete, the end product has the consistency of a whipped body cream, very light and airy. The addition of rose or neroli water at the end is not necessary but makes the experience of putting it on your face more enjoyable..
I did the ghee for cream today Nicole W.! The washing does get most of the smell out and turn it into a white whipped cream! It still had a faint buttery smell, but everybody like it and said it smelled faintly like popcorn. Admittedly I used too much, which made it hard to wash, but I am definetly doing it again tomorrow with a smaller amount. It looks very glowing on the skin rather than oily. I can imagine this will really nourish skin too! Thanks again for that wonderful tip!

akgrrrl

My pleasure, @akgrrrl! :)

Has anyone here ever used cotton Turkish peshtemal bath towels? I’m looking to replace my ancient towels and because my hair is so long, the plush kind get soaked and take forever to dry during the summer when it’s humid here so I thought the Turkish towels might dry faster. I figured they would also take up less room in the washer, allowing me to go two weeks on one load.
I have a wonderful microfiber towel "Aquis Essentials" just for this! I have big, big hair, very thick, a lot of work. It wicks away water, just perfect to twist up into a turban while standing in the tub, so I can dry everything else with a smaller towel and no hair, skin flakes or fuzzies on the floor or elsewhere. I got rid of heavy toweling altogether.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I have a wonderful microfiber towel "Aquis Essentials" just for this! I have big, big hair, very thick, a lot of work. It wicks away water, just perfect to twist up into a turban while standing in the tub, so I can dry everything else with a smaller towel and no hair, skin flakes or fuzzies on the floor or elsewhere. I got rid of heavy toweling altogether.
My husband has always thought it odd that I don't dry myself off after a shower. I just wrap a towel around me and drip dry :D

akgrrrl

My husband has always thought it odd that I don't dry myself off after a shower. I just wrap a towel around me and drip dry :D
Everyone gets their own method! I also do dry brushing standing in the tub before a shower sometimes, as I know how good it is for lymph and skin, but the after shower rub with a small rough towel is so invigorating!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Everyone gets their own method! I also do dry brushing standing in the tub before a shower sometimes, as I know how good it is for lymph and skin, but the after shower rub with a small rough towel is so invigorating!
Akgrrrl I thought I had a bag of tricks, you are a wealth of knowledge!

Nicole W.

I did the ghee for cream today Nicole W.! The washing does get most of the smell out and turn it into a white whipped cream! It still had a faint buttery smell, but everybody like it and said it smelled faintly like popcorn. Admittedly I used too much, which made it hard to wash, but I am definetly doing it again tomorrow with a smaller amount. It looks very glowing on the skin rather than oily. I can imagine this will really nourish skin too! Thanks again for that wonderful tip!
Oh, sure, no problem!? It’s honestly the best natural moisturizer I have found with the least amount of ingredients, plus it has a really nice consistency. I was selling it for a few years. It is really great for people who can’t use anything on their skin because of skin issues or allergies. Those were my main clients.

I’ve made this cream hundreds of times and the trick is to “wash” it at least 50 times. Because I was selling it, the product had to be odorless, so I would “wash“ it 100 times. At this point, it is pure white and 98% odorless. This takes lots of patience but you can make a year’s supply in a few days time. Just keep it refrigerated until you need it. Once it comes up to room temp you can use it.

I use a KitchenAid stand mixer to make mine and it makes the process much faster. You can even buy a copper bowl attachment if you want it to be copper infused, but they are very expensive and not necessary. The Ayurvedic method always uses a copper bowl. However, the practitioners do it by hand, singing and chanting as they work. I am assuming this helps the time go by faster.

After a while, I devised my own little chant. It went something like this: F**K this takes forever, F**k this takes forever, F**K this takes forever. Try it and you’ll see what I mean ?.

If you are creative, you can add different floral waters, brewed coffee or teas to make them smell different and offer different benefits. Matcha turns the cream green, coffee, brown, and hibiscus tea, pink. So you can have fun with it. I would caution against using essential oils. Essential oils should never be applied to skin for more than 2 weeks at a time due to the potential for sensitization. So stick with water based additives to enhance your product.

Jennifer

Thank you for the suggestion! I used to have a couple microfiber towels and you’re right, they were perfect for twisting up into a turban but I’m hoping to get towels made from natural fibers. The Turkish peshtemal towels I found are made from organic cotton. I was also looking at bamboo towels, but read quite a few complaints about them taking days to dry.

LOL Do you live in a cold climate? If so, I’m impressed. I’ve heard from a dermatologist that the best time to put on moisturizer is right before drying off after bathing.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Oh, sure, no problem!? It’s honestly the best natural moisturizer I have found with the least amount of ingredients, plus it has a really nice consistency. I was selling it for a few years. It is really great for people who can’t use anything on their skin because of skin issues or allergies. Those were my main clients.

I’ve made this cream hundreds of times and the trick is to “wash” it at least 50 times. Because I was selling it, the product had to be odorless, so I would “wash“ it 100 times. At this point, it is pure white and 98% odorless. This takes lots of patience but you can make a year’s supply in a few days time. Just keep it refrigerated until you need it. Once it comes up to room temp you can use it.

I use a KitchenAid stand mixer to make mine and it makes the process much faster. You can even buy a copper bowl attachment if you want it to be copper infused, but they are very expensive and not necessary. The Ayurvedic method always uses a copper bowl. However, the practitioners do it by hand, singing and chanting as they work. I am assuming this helps the time go by faster.

After a while, I devised my own little chant. It went something like this: F**K this takes forever, F**k this takes forever, F**K this takes forever. Try it and you’ll see what I mean ?.

If you are creative, you can add different floral waters, brewed coffee or teas to make them smell different and offer different benefits. Matcha turns the cream green, coffee, brown, and hibiscus tea, pink. So you can have fun with it. I would caution against using essential oils. Essential oils should never be applied to skin for more than 2 weeks at a time due to the potential for sensitization. So stick with water based additives to enhance your product.
You are so funny! Yeah I used a lot of water doing it under the faucet. I don't need to make too big of a batch, so maybe I will try my Bullet blender and see what happens.

akgrrrl

Thank you for the suggestion! I used to have a couple microfiber towels and you’re right, they were perfect for twisting up into a turban but I’m hoping to get towels made from natural fibers. The Turkish peshtemal towels I found are made from organic cotton. I was also looking at bamboo towels, but read quite a few complaints about them taking days to dry.

LOL Do you live in a cold climate? If so, I’m impressed. I’ve heard from a dermatologist that the best time to put on moisturizer is right before drying off after bathing.
Yes the best time for moisture is right as you are drying. I knew an old woman who had great skin, she had a tiny washcloth she would saturate with an oil blend, and actually wipe off her wet skin with that oily cloth, never used a towel but for her hair.
I take a lot of soaking baths, hardly shower unless in a hurry. It is magical, submerged in a deep soaker tub with marvelous smells and steam rising. An ancient practice, soothing and healing.
Yes, AK is Alaska. I have a wonderful woodstove that makes for lots of cozy

Attachments

• 20201018_194905.jpg
    20201018_194905.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210222_200605.jpg
    20210222_200605.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 17

Lollipop2

Yes the best time for moisture is right as you are drying. I knew an old woman who had great skin, she had a tiny washcloth she would saturate with an oil blend, and actually wipe off her wet skin with that oily cloth, never used a towel but for her hair.
I take a lot of soaking baths, hardly shower unless in a hurry. It is magical, submerged in a deep soaker tub with marvelous smells and steam rising. An ancient practice, soothing and healing.
Yes, AK is Alaska. I have a wonderful woodstove that makes for lots of cozy
Very cool stove and fireplace! Old school.

akgrrrl

Akgrrrl I thought I had a bag of tricks, you are a wealth of knowledge!
Thank you very much. I have been accused of unfairly housing a great deal of trivia due to a supposed identic memory. It seems banal and tedious to me, but every now and then it appears I am useful to others, thankyou.

Lollipop2

Thank you very much. I have been accused of unfairly housing a great deal of trivia due to a supposed identic memory. It seems banal and tedious to me, but every now and then it appears I am useful to others, thankyou.
I would suggest more then every now and then based on many of your awesome posts...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals