Healthier Grooming & Beauty Hacks

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Certain types of hair products are more commonly used by Black women. Studies show hair products contain several endocrine disrupting chemicals that are associated with adverse health outcomes. As chemical mixtures of endocrine disruptors, hair products may be hormonally active, but this remains unclear.”

“In the present study we found that commonly used hair products are hormonally active, with impacts on the estrogen, androgen, progesterone, and glucocorticoid receptors, providing critical information for understanding how leave-in hair products as a mixture could have a biological effect and potentially affect hormonally mediated disease risk. Previous findings from this same study population have shown that these products contain di-ethyl phthalate and parabens, chemicals known to be hormonally active (5). Given that hormonal activity of consumer products could contribute to disparities in related disease risk, re-formulation of these products could aid in reducing the disparity in exposure and associated health outcomes in Black women. Further work is needed to understand how these products may act as a source of disparate environmental chemical exposures and the resulting implications for adverse health outcomes in Black women.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Hair-care and beauty products marketed to Black women often contain a class of hormone-disrupting chemicals called parabens. According to a new study, those chemicals are not only linked to increased breast cancer risk, they can uniquely fuel the spread of cancer cells in Black women compared to white women.

Parabens are a group of chemicals that keep mold and bacteria from growing in beauty products in order to prolong their shelf lives. But in humans, parabens can mimic the hormone estrogen, possibly fueling dangerous cell growth, according to research.

The study, which will be presented today at the Endocrine Society's annual meeting in Atlanta, analyzed the effect parabens had on breast cancer cells from both Black women and white women. Researchers found parabens increased the growth of Black breast-cancer cell lines, but did not effect white breast-cancer cell lines at the same dose.

Parabens also increased the expression of genes linked to breast cancer in both Black and white women.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Raw honey is working wonders on my hair! It lightens it in the most natural way.. I just pick a section, put it straight in new places, twist it with dry pieces and put up for 2 to 4 hours and then wash it. I reapply on a new section, maybe a month later, or when I feel like my hair is bored :)

Attachments

• 42B54072-E74B-4AA1-94CC-BD87C798B0BD.jpeg
    42B54072-E74B-4AA1-94CC-BD87C798B0BD.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 44
  • 6C8B0501-D5D1-4CA3-B148-2C41350CDBA4.jpeg
    6C8B0501-D5D1-4CA3-B148-2C41350CDBA4.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 44

miquelangeles

Raw honey is working wonders on my hair! It lightens it in the most natural way.. I just pick a section, put it straight in new places, twist it with dry pieces and put up for 2 to 4 hours and then wash it. I reapply on a new section, maybe a month later, or when I feel like my hair is bored :)
Works great on the face as well.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This has been a great product to help blend grays with my natural hair color, Gray Riddance. It turns the grays more of a yellow/blonde color. I tested it in different portions of my hair this week and like the results! Be really careful not to get any of it on your skin because it will turn it brown for a few days.

Attachments

• FC215AE0-C642-4A27-935D-13079F8650FC.jpeg
    FC215AE0-C642-4A27-935D-13079F8650FC.jpeg
    464.7 KB · Views: 24
  • D225375D-F82C-4943-8779-1A937BBD8C91.jpeg
    D225375D-F82C-4943-8779-1A937BBD8C91.jpeg
    473.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 0623B282-6E9B-4E73-A801-A604B109DEBF.jpeg
    0623B282-6E9B-4E73-A801-A604B109DEBF.jpeg
    423.6 KB · Views: 22
  • A2E88A88-B53C-4FA8-8474-BFA2432018F4.jpeg
    A2E88A88-B53C-4FA8-8474-BFA2432018F4.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 24

David PS

Yet another reason to avoid glyphosates.

Glyphosate, most predominant herbicide, can replace glycine in the epidermis = breaking down the bonds and aging your skin.
1658398582698.png

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yet another reason to avoid glyphosates.

Glyphosate, most predominant herbicide, can replace glycine in the epidermis = breaking down the bonds and aging your skin.
View attachment 39274

Here are some of the top foods with glyphosate. More reason to buy organic, or as this website even suggests, skip the food altogether.

Attachments

• FB376470-15B8-4BDD-8E5E-7D43EDE3E7FF.jpeg
    FB376470-15B8-4BDD-8E5E-7D43EDE3E7FF.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 26
  • C1DF618F-F9F1-430D-997F-D26C8F06C040.jpeg
    C1DF618F-F9F1-430D-997F-D26C8F06C040.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 24
  • B624206D-98A0-4A37-B7E9-970E99343ACC.jpeg
    B624206D-98A0-4A37-B7E9-970E99343ACC.jpeg
    210.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 6CD5AB47-8D4C-49C1-A3D3-BFA9E0A81CF7.jpeg
    6CD5AB47-8D4C-49C1-A3D3-BFA9E0A81CF7.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 25

Lollipop2

teds

Forum Supporter
great thread @Rinse & rePeat - i saw that you finally discovered sugar a few months ago. I use caster sugar mixed w olive oil as an exfoliator once or twice per week and it works brilliantly. Also, Saturee has come out with a skin care range which isn't cheap but seems quite good from what I've tried (the face and the body moisturisers) - Seriously Saturated Skin Support
i've used the Joey for years but have never noticed a lightening effect.. perhaps i'm just naturally avoiding my eyebrows.. they're quite light anyway and i do have fair skin. :)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
great thread @Rinse & rePeat - i saw that you finally discovered sugar a few months ago. I use caster sugar mixed w olive oil as an exfoliator once or twice per week and it works brilliantly. Also, Saturee has come out with a skin care range which isn't cheap but seems quite good from what I've tried (the face and the body moisturisers) - Seriously Saturated Skin Support
i've used the Joey for years but have never noticed a lightening effect.. perhaps i'm just naturally avoiding my eyebrows.. they're quite light anyway and i do have fair skin. :)

Their one ounce face cream is $100+ and the ingredients look good. Have you tried it?

“Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride - Capric and caprylic acids are medium chain fatty acids derived from coconut oil. These specific fractions of coconut oil provide protection from moisture loss through the skin without the pore-clogging potential of whole coconut oil. 100% saturated fatty acids, stable with exposure to heat, light and oxygen.

Cholesterol – Derived from lanolin from sheep’s wool. Around 25% of the skin’s lipid layer that forms the skin barrier is comprised of cholesterol. One of the most reliable biomarkers of skin cell ageing is the amount of cholesterol in the skin cells. Cholesterol levels in the skin decline with ageing and applying cholesterol topically improves skin cell and overall barrier function. Read more

Urea - Synthetic. Part of the natural moisturising factor (NMF) of the skin. Urea in the skin decreases with age leading to dry and wrinkly skin. It has both Keratolytic (exfoliating) and hydrating properties, reducing transepidermal water loss (TEWL). Urea also has preservative, antibacterial and antiviral actions.

Niacinamide - The amide form of Vitamin B3. Niacinamide easily penetrates the stratum corneum (outer layer of the skin). It is well proven to provide significant benefits to the skin, including enhancing barrier function, reducing the visible signs of skin ageing, protecting against UV damage, and relieving inflammatory skin conditions.

Camphor – Derived from the wood of the Camphor tree. Applied topically, camphor has been shown to improve the overall appearance of skin; studies show it treats wounds and UV-induced wrinkles making it a potentially anti-ageing ingredient. Camphor also aids in relieving skin inflammation, irritation and itchiness, and has antibacterial and antifungal properties. It is also ‘anti-comedogenic’ so it keeps pores clear and can help to keep acne away.

Naringenin and other citrus flavonoids - Studies show skin benefits with topical use, including prevention of skin ageing⁣, protection against UV damage, with anti-inflammatory⁣, phyto-progestogenic⁣, anti-fibrotic and anti-microbial⁣ actions.

Caffeine - Topical caffeine has been proven to improve the integrity of skin structurally, softening and preventing wrinkles, and even protecting damage from sun exposure. It can also reduce dark circles and puffiness, and helps to reduce water retention in the tissue.

Salicylic Acid – A natural chemical exfoliant that penetrates skin, helping to not only soften it but slough away flaky skin cells. Proved to reduce and prevent acne.

Eugenol – A unique compound derived from clove and sometimes cinnamon. It exhibits excellent antibacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, anti-mutagenic and antioxidant properties. Unlike many compounds extracted from essential oils, eugenol is not an endocrine disruptor, and may in fact have anti-estrogen effects. Its antimicrobial properties also adds to the preservation of our other ingredients. It’s also what makes this cream smell like Christmas.

CoQ10 – (Ubiquinone) A quinone as per Vitamin K2, applied topically can stimulate and improve the cellular metabolism and function of local skin tissue.

Copper – Applied topically, copper has been shown to encourage the skin to produce more collagen and elastin, improving skin clarity and density and reducing fine lines. Copper reduces the damaging, cell-ageing effects of iron.

Vitamin E – Has protective antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Can improve UV related sun damage and promotes wound healing.

Also:

Coco-Caprylate/Caprate – An emollient made from a mixture of esters of saturated fatty alcohols derived from coconut. Supports the skin’s barrier by helping the skin retain moisture.

Glyceryl Behenate – An ester made up of glycerol and behenic acid (another fatty acid derived from coconut) that helps promote healthy skin by improving hydration and providing a protective barrier against the environment. It also emulsifies (brings together) our ingredients, and helps other key ingredients penetrate the outer layer of the skin.

Glycerin - Helps the skin to retain water and supports the recovery of the skin barrier function.

Glyceryl Caprylate – A mixture of glycerol and caprylate (fatty acid from coconut) that not only stabilises oil-water emulsions, but also has skin benefits of its own, helping to regulate skin moisture and restore natural oils. Has natural anti-fungal properties too.

Caprylhydroxamic Acid – An amino acid derived from coconut, that acts as a safe and effective preservative.

And of course water. Nothing else.

Packaged in an airless pump for best preservation.

For more about our ingredients and research: click here

Ingredients List

Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride*, Water, Cholesterol, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate*, Glyceryl Behenate*, Urea, Niacinamide, Glycerin, Glyceryl Caprylate*, Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Caprylhydroxamic Acid*, Camphor, Citrus x Aurantium (Bitter Orange) Fruit Extract (Naringenin et al.), Caffeine, Salicylic Acid, Eugenol, Ubiquinone (CoQ10), Copper Tripeptide-1

*Coconut derived ingredients.“

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals