Health Outcomes Of A High Fructose Intake: The Importance Of Physical Activity

Vinny

My lord,

I went very low fat recently.
Nothing changed. I continued to gain waight (i,m already fat), still struggle with extreme fatigue, crap sleep and the pimples on my scalp are ripe and juicier than ever.
Reading ur thoughts about starch, i,d like to go starch-free for an experiment (keeping the low fat same time).
Advise me pls least offending carb source, affordable too.
For carbs, ATM, i consume white potatoes, white rice, a lot of gummy bears and some cola. A lot of papaya too, it grows here. Watermelon and mango sometimes.
For protein, cheap pork, beef and chicken-leanest possible, and gummy bears for gelatin.
I don,t count calories, eat till satiety. Thanks.
Bump
@Cirion

Cirion

Your needs might vary so really the best answer I can give you is to start tracking data like I have been doing, but I tend to agree with Ray now that sugar is preferable to starch, as starch can be troublesome to digest, with emphasis on fruits, some juices, and maybe some syrups. Ultra low fat doesn't seem to be good, but I think something like 30-50g (should) be enough to avoid most low fat problems. I like potatoes too but I think they are causing me endotoxic reactions so I am going to cut them out I think. Personally sticking to only beef and gelatin for proteins. I am also fat, but as you probably know from my posts by now I don't think the healthy way to lose weight is to cut calories, but the healthy way to lose weight is to maintain a 98.6F waking temp and 80-85 bpm waking pulse. Whatever diet/macros helps you achieve that, is probably the diet/macros you should be eating.

If you are eating high carb and getting fat, there are several possibilities

- Carb/calorie intake is not high enough (A strong possibility on a low-fat diet)
- Bad food choices (too much starch/endotoxin creating foods)
- Maybe too little dietary fat and/or too little dietary protein
- Too much refined sugar with no nutrition

Those would be my top four reasons for getting fat on high carb low fat. Carbs pretty much directly increase the metabolism, so that's why being low on them can actually make you gain weight.

yerrag

“When consumed, some of the fructose is converted to lactate and exported from the liver into the blood stream. Several studies have shown this but I really like this figure from a paper by my friend Jorn Tromellen that shows this effect in the context of fructose as a peri workout sugar. This also has been validated by isotopic tracer studies but the direct quantification of percentage is more difficult due to the nature of metabolism of fructose to lactate.”
View attachment 13347
Fructose: Burying the Boogeyman - Science Driven Nutrition
Thanks!
“When consumed, some of the fructose is converted to lactate and exported from the liver into the blood stream. Several studies have shown this but I really like this figure from a paper by my friend Jorn Tromellen that shows this effect in the context of fructose as a peri workout sugar. This also has been validated by isotopic tracer studies but the direct quantification of percentage is more difficult due to the nature of metabolism of fructose to lactate.”
View attachment 13347
Fructose: Burying the Boogeyman - Science Driven Nutrition
Nice article, burying the concern on fructose consumption when taken in a normal amount, like 3-4 fruits a day, vs. 2 liters of Mountain Dew daily. That it doesn't contribute to weight gain any more than were you to take sucrose or glucose instead.

I still wonder about how all that lactate (28%) gets metabolized. It just seems to get metabolized as fructose consumption isn't known to be associated with increasing serum lactate nor disturbing acid-base balance towards the acidic side. @Rafael Lao Wai gives a good explanation on how the lactate is metabolized, and makes a good point that as long as the lactate gets metabolized and doesn't accumulate, there should be no problem to worry about.
Fructose does increases uric acid, although I don't know by how much.
I wonder if it's only when fructose consumption is excessive that lactate accumulates, and that with lactate accumulation, uric acid excretion through urine is inhibited, and thus would lead to increased serum uric acid. I'm just guessing, but is the body preference for lactate to be excreted in place of uric acid a way of protecting itself, as uric acid is part of the body's primary antioxidant system, and increased lactate triggers this protective mechanism?

The lactate can be used by muscle cells, but can also be used by the hair follicules
There was a thread on lactate stimulating hair follicles to grow hair, so perhaps the lactate from fructose consumption could do the hair some good. And if, as you said earlier, the lactate can metabolize into pyruvate , "and if you have enough vitamin B1/magnesium/biotin/etc, will be dehydrogenated or suffer decarboxylation and then it will enter the Krebs Cycle and then the Electron Transport Chain, generating water and CO2."

@Vinny are those pimples on your scalp really pimples or are they seborrheic dermatitis?

Vinny

@Vinny are those pimples on your scalp really pimples or are they seborrheic dermatitis?
Well, you know the saying: "When something looks like sh*t and smells like sh*t, most probably is sh*t". So, they look to me like acne.
And, according the lovely photos of poor folks suffering from seborrheic dermatitis I saw online - no, it`s not. I`m one idea less miserable. Luckily, my hair`s thickness covers them well, but if I had no that mane, I`d have looked grotesque sometimes.
No idea yet what aggravates them.

yerrag

Well, you know the saying: "When something looks like sh*t and smells like sh*t, most probably is sh*t". So, they look to me like acne.
And, according the lovely photos of poor folks suffering from seborrheic dermatitis I saw online - no, it`s not. I`m one idea less miserable. Luckily, my hair`s thickness covers them well, but if I had no that mane, I`d have looked grotesque sometimes.
No idea yet what aggravates them.
I think that with pimples they come and go, and don't stay on one spot and never go away. With seborrheic dermatitis, it's like a recurring healing that never stops and they keep leaving translucent flakes like a giant dandruff. I've had them for forever, and only recently I was able to tame them. I was on 2x20mg doxycycline for a month. Before the month was over, they were gone.

Amazoniac

- The increase in human plasma antioxidant capacity after apple consumption is due to the metabolic effect of fructose on urate, not apple-derived antioxidant flavonoids
Abstract said:
Regular fruit consumption lowers the risk of cardiovascular diseases and certain cancers, which has been attributed in part to fruit-derived antioxidant flavonoids. However, flavonoids are poorly absorbed by humans, and the increase in plasma antioxidant capacity observed after consumption of flavonoid-rich foods often greatly exceeds the increase in plasma flavonoids. In the present study, six healthy subjects consumed five Red Delicious apples (1037 +/- 38 g), plain bagels (263.1 +/- 0.9 g) and water matching the carbohydrate content and mass of the apples, and fructose (63.9 +/- 2.9 g) in water matching the fructose content and mass of the apples. The antioxidant capacity of plasma was measured before and up to 6 h after food consumption as ferric reducing antioxidant potential (FRAP), without or with ascorbate oxidase treatment (FRAPAO) to estimate the contribution of ascorbate. Baseline plasma FRAP and FRAPAO were 445 +/- 35 and 363 +/- 35 microM trolox equivalents, respectively. Apple consumption caused an acute, transient increase in both plasma FRAP and FRAPAO, with increases after 1 h of 54.6 +/- 8.7 and 61.3 = 17.2 microM trolox equivalents, respectively. This increase in plasma antioxidant capacity was paralleled by a large increase in plasma urate, a metabolic antioxidant, from 271 +/- 39 microM at baseline to 367 +/- 43 microM after 1 h. In contrast, FRAP and FRAPAO time-dependently decreased after bagel consumption, together with urate. Consumption of fructose mimicked the effects of apples with respect to increased FRAP, FRAPAO, and urate, but not ascorbate. Taken together, our data show that the increase in plasma antioxidant capacity in humans after apple consumption is due mainly to the well-known metabolic effect of fructose on urate, not apple-derived antioxidant flavonoids.
@tankasnowgod

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals