Healing from diabetes?

Swandattur

I thought I would post this story about my husband in light of what Ray Peat says about diabetes not having to be a permenant affliction. When my husband was about four years old, his Dad, who was a doctor, diagnosed him as having diabetes. Probably, he tested him after smelling ketones on his breath. Anyway, after that he wasn't allowed any sugar except maybe a drip left in a Coke bottle or something. However, he was a crafty and determined little boy, and he figured out ways to sneak more and more sugar. After he left home he ate whatever he wanted. He has had lots of blood tests since then and no doctor has ever said he had high blood sugar. So, I guess his metabolism healed itself. He has always liked sugar a lot, and wanted sweet things very sweet.

Gabriel

Did his dad really diagnose him using urinary glucose level, elevated HBA1C, elevated blood glucose or abnormal OGTT response? Do you have the raw values printed on a piece of paper? If not, there is certainly no way to know for sure that he had diabetes. Maybe his dad just implented an odd way to scare his child from drinking coke, which his dad saw as being deleterious.

OP
S

Swandattur

This is an anecdote. I don't have all the facts. I expect in the fifties, they didn't have all the tests they do now. His father was eccentric, but I would think twelve years was a long time to scare a child.

OP
S

Swandattur

From what my husband says he did do regular tests for glucose in the urine. Seems awfully diabolical to carry on like this for years and years just to scare him off coke.

Gabriel

Interesting. There are pediatric disorders involved with renal glucosuria other than diabetes. Diabetes itself also has several different causes. Type-2 diabetes (the one that is getting epidemic in the US) is very very unlikely at that age regardless of diet. Type 1 diabetes (autoimmune disease) can appear in young children but usually presents as a full-beta-cell loss and only very rarely leads to a recoveries. So its hard to make sense of that story. Interesting nonetheless ;)

OP
S

Swandattur

It does seem strange. Ray Peat tells about case reports in the 1800s of diabetes seemingly healed after the patients were allowed to eat quite a bit of sugar over several days. That's why I told about this even though It's only my husband's experience with no corroborating information.