Healing from diabetes?

Swandattur

I thought I would post this story about my husband in light of what Ray Peat says about diabetes not having to be a permenant affliction. When my husband was about four years old, his Dad, who was a doctor, diagnosed him as having diabetes. Probably, he tested him after smelling ketones on his breath. Anyway, after that he wasn't allowed any sugar except maybe a drip left in a Coke bottle or something. However, he was a crafty and determined little boy, and he figured out ways to sneak more and more sugar. After he left home he ate whatever he wanted. He has had lots of blood tests since then and no doctor has ever said he had high blood sugar. So, I guess his metabolism healed itself. He has always liked sugar a lot, and wanted sweet things very sweet.

Gabriel

Did his dad really diagnose him using urinary glucose level, elevated HBA1C, elevated blood glucose or abnormal OGTT response? Do you have the raw values printed on a piece of paper? If not, there is certainly no way to know for sure that he had diabetes. Maybe his dad just implented an odd way to scare his child from drinking coke, which his dad saw as being deleterious.

Swandattur

This is an anecdote. I don't have all the facts. I expect in the fifties, they didn't have all the tests they do now. His father was eccentric, but I would think twelve years was a long time to scare a child.

Swandattur

From what my husband says he did do regular tests for glucose in the urine. Seems awfully diabolical to carry on like this for years and years just to scare him off coke.

Gabriel

Interesting. There are pediatric disorders involved with renal glucosuria other than diabetes. Diabetes itself also has several different causes. Type-2 diabetes (the one that is getting epidemic in the US) is very very unlikely at that age regardless of diet. Type 1 diabetes (autoimmune disease) can appear in young children but usually presents as a full-beta-cell loss and only very rarely leads to a recoveries. So its hard to make sense of that story. Interesting nonetheless ;)

Swandattur

It does seem strange. Ray Peat tells about case reports in the 1800s of diabetes seemingly healed after the patients were allowed to eat quite a bit of sugar over several days. That's why I told about this even though It's only my husband's experience with no corroborating information.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
G Raised CP/Buteyko Healing Cleanse Altitude, Bag Breathing, CO2, Light, Weather 2
ursidae Healing Power Of Animal Products? Where? Ask For Help or Advice 39
S Tips For Healing Post Extraction Ask For Help or Advice 18
L How Do You Encourage Facial Nerve Healing After Severe Brain Trauma? Miscellaneous Health Discussions 17
S Scuba Diving: Air Pressure Healing Effects Altitude, Weather 1
Lokzo Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) Enhances Wound Healing Of Major Burn Injury Scientific Studies 11
orewashin Healing Midbrain Damage (chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Health 80
C Is TSH Suppression The Key To Healing The Thyroid? Thyroid and Hormones 28
ddjd Peat Approach To Healing From Ciprofloxacin Damage? Ask For Help or Advice 9
Elize Cannabidiol For Mast Cell Activation And Histamine Intolerance? | Healing Histamine Thyroid and Hormones 2
ursidae Scars Are Not Healing, Please Help Me Skin 47
Lenny Anybody Has Any Succes Healing Milk-protein Allergy? Working Through Milk Issues 2
methylenewhite Topical Serotonin Antagonist Ketanserin Improves Wound Healing Up To 150% Scientific Studies 0
A What Does Peat Say On Bacterial Infections? Recommended Healing Strategies? Ask For Help or Advice 7
M Combined Ascorbic Acid And T3 Produce Better Healing Compared To Bone Marrow Mesenchymal Stem Cells Scientific Studies 0
E Help With Healing After 1 Year Of Carnivore Diet 34
C Consistently Poor Wound Healing Ask For Help or Advice 2
GorillaHead Healing Tendinitis. All Advice Appreciated Male Issues 0
Velve921 My Father Recently Passed -- Advise On Healing Ask For Help or Advice 55
J Healing Metabolism Correlation With Weight Gain Body Care 13
methylenewhite Pro-metabolic Peat Inspired Community/healing Center In Mexico Miscellaneous 0
G Best Supplements For Healing Muscle/Tendon Injuries Body Care 43
M On Healing Health 0
Peatogenic Regeneration After Trauma Healing. Mitolipin, Muscle Building? Miscellaneous 2
Rickyman East West Healing. Lactic Acid From Yogurt And Ground Beef? Ask For Help or Advice 3
General Orange Caffeine Consumption Can Hinder Wound Healing Scientific Studies 4
Cirion Would High Protein High Carb Low Fat Be The Best Way To Facilitate Healing Process? Macros & Micros 5
Tenacity Vitamin D - Healing My Skin And My Nervous System Testimonials 37
S PrimerCube Magnetism-based Healing Device Science 0
R Healing Kidney Failure Log Logs 36
walker_in_aus Topical Methylene Blue + Red Light For Skin Healing Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 29
kayumochi Medical Medium - Thyroid Healing Thyroid and Hormones 15
J How Safe Is Pregnenolone? (For Healing SSRI Effects) Ask For Help or Advice 15
Elize Has Anyone Had Success With Innate Healing Ask For Help or Advice 4
Daniel11 My Healing Story Testimonials 45
D Naturally Healing Cavities Oral Health 19
R Pain And Healing: LED Vs Incandescent, Fluorescent, Laser Red Light, Infrared, LLLT 1
Makrosky Healing Homes: An Alternative, Swedish Model For Healing Psychosis Video 3
Pointless The Process Of Healing Miscellaneous Health Discussions 13
poilochio "Healing" The Gut After Antibiotics Question Ask For Help or Advice 5
M Optimal Fracture Healing Advice Ask For Help or Advice 3
raypeatclips Anyone Considered Pure Glucose Powder When Healing Poor Liver? Why People Can't Handle No Starch? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 33
gilson dantas Ozone Healing Cellular Respiration? Metabolism 8
L Progesterone Promotes Lung Healing After Flu Progesterone 0
T Self Healing Logs 3
Kaisersozeh Protocol To Speed Healing After Surgery Ask For Help or Advice 7
Dan Wich Taurine And Wound Healing Scientific Studies 4
E Slow Wound Healing After Mastectomy,help For My Sister? Ask For Help or Advice 7
P Can The Wound Healing Process Be Improved By Vitamin Supplementation? Experimental Study On Humans Articles & Scientific Studies 0
FD8 Help: Gaining Weight + Healing Hashimoto's Ask For Help or Advice 6