Headaches Solved: Psyllium Fiber Dependence

I've been dependent on psyllium fiber since 1990 when I went to a stupid proctologist who didn't know anything. Stopped wheat germ and started psyllium and everything was fine. No sore butt, less rectal bleeding.

Then I began getting headaches, and worse headaches, and never put the two together. But now I can see that psyillium fiber causes my headaches, very bad headaches indeed.

I've found though that without the psyllium fiber, I'm kinda having problems, soreness, etc.

My diet is now more and more:

lactose free nonfat milk
fresh good quality orange juice
some white bread
a bit of cheese
a bit of rice or potatoes, cooked veggie and meat or fish
gelatin

I'm wondering what I can do to fix the problem of having a sore butt that indicates inflammation in the bowel.

I think I have an allergy to psyllium fiber. Last night out of desperation I took some and started getting the pre-headache "shadow" effect almost immediately.

Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Pointless

I was considering adding some psyllium powder to my food, but now no way. If I don't get enough fiber, my stools are greasy, and I can never get clean. I'll just eat whole fruit.

I'm still dealing with hemorrhoids, but with the fiber, it's tolerable at least.

tara

Speculating wildly, I wonder if the psyllium - headache connection for you has something to do with high serotonin?
I seldom get constipated or sore, but on rare occasions I still resort to kiwi fruit. Not recommending it as a daily practice - I think it might be relatively high in serotonin itself.

Peata

I've been dependent on psyllium fiber since 1990 when I went to a stupid proctologist who didn't know anything. Stopped wheat germ and started psyllium and everything was fine. No sore butt, less rectal bleeding.

Then I began getting headaches, and worse headaches, and never put the two together. But now I can see that psyillium fiber causes my headaches, very bad headaches indeed.

I've found though that without the psyllium fiber, I'm kinda having problems, soreness, etc.

My diet is now more and more:

lactose free nonfat milk
fresh good quality orange juice
some white bread
a bit of cheese
a bit of rice or potatoes, cooked veggie and meat or fish
gelatin

I'm wondering what I can do to fix the problem of having a sore butt that indicates inflammation in the bowel.

I think I have an allergy to psyllium fiber. Last night out of desperation I took some and started getting the pre-headache "shadow" effect almost immediately.

Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

I re-read your post but, are you saying without psyllium you get a sore, bleeding rectum? But with it, you get headaches? I assume you were taking it all that time for chronic constipation?

OP
ecstatichamster
I re-read your post but, are you saying without psyllium you get a sore, bleeding rectum? But with it, you get headaches? I assume you were taking it all that time for chronic constipation?
Yes that is what I am saying. But it wasn't constipation reasons for my taking it, but rectal soreness.

Peata

Since you've taken it chronically for all those years, it may have done some kind of damage to your intestines, and when you take it again, it is irritating the intestines further. Hopefully the carrot salad, charcoal can help. I don't know if cascara sagrada will help or not, but hopefully someone has knowledge on it.

OP
ecstatichamster
yes I'm trying it. Carrot salad gives me a bit of a headache too but aspirin takes care of it and I think that overall it may be a matter of working through this.

I think Cascara gives me a sore butt too...

Peata

I started using some psyllium a few weeks ago, but I only need it for a few days as needed and then I'm good so far unless I eat something really upsetting to my GI tracts, particularly at certain times of month. So I don't have to take psyllium but on occasion til the diarrhea stops again, and it's been a godsend for my chronic diarrhea and I just think I'm doing a lot better, like it's flushed out bacteria and stuff.

Anyway, didn't the wheat germ help? I think cooked mushroom is another possible peaty helper. Also bamboo shoots, potatoes.

OP
ecstatichamster
I started using some psyllium a few weeks ago, but I only need it for a few days as needed and then I'm good so far unless I eat something really upsetting to my GI tracts, particularly at certain times of month. So I don't have to take psyllium but on occasion til the diarrhea stops again, and it's been a godsend for my chronic diarrhea and I just think I'm doing a lot better, like it's flushed out bacteria and stuff.

Anyway, didn't the wheat germ help? I think cooked mushroom is another possible peaty helper. Also bamboo shoots, potatoes.

wheat germ was horrible for me, from allergies. It's the worst thing for a lot of people. Just the starchy refined white part of the grain seems to be okay though.

Psyllium was a godsend for me too. At least for awhile. All these years though I was getting headaches from it and didn't realize.

Peata

wheat germ was horrible for me, from allergies. It's the worst thing for a lot of people. Just the starchy refined white part of the grain seems to be okay though.

Psyllium was a godsend for me too. At least for awhile. All these years though I was getting headaches from it and didn't realize.
Just realized I'm thinking of wheat bran, as there was a little talk on the forum a couple years ago about using it to remove estrogen. I took it everyday for a while but I don't recall it doing much. Wheat Bran Reduces Estrogen Anyway, maybe it is the fiber itself -any fiber, that gives you trouble now, so perhaps taking no fiber (at least for a while) could give your gut time and space to heal. ?

Adding: From something pboy said in that other post - maybe the constant psyllium use dried up all the protective mucous from your guts, so left them "dry" and irritated?

OP
ecstatichamster
Just realized I'm thinking of wheat bran, as there was a little talk on the forum a couple years ago about using it to remove estrogen. I took it everyday for a while but I don't recall it doing much. Wheat Bran Reduces Estrogen Anyway, maybe it is the fiber itself -any fiber, that gives you trouble now, so perhaps taking no fiber (at least for a while) could give your gut time and space to heal. ?

the bran, that's the part that they remove when they polish the wheat berry. That *might* be okay.

But i was taking wheat germ originally which is horrific. Loaded with rancid PUFAs and also lots of bad foreign proteins. I am not tolerant of whole wheat items, but white flour seems okay. Not sure where that puts bran.

Kray

See latest post @fico 12/18/22

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals