HBO Movies

Max23

I just finished watching. What a spectacular TV series! One of my favorites now. Turns out that it is really hard to blow up a nuclear power plant. Still it is weird that they only blew up one given the level of incompetence. Hard to comprehend that it was just 33 years ago, that this level of idiocity existed and was widespread in the Soviet Union.

Now I know why I have elevated urinary uranium. I was born 14 months after the catastrophe 800 kilometers away. The uranium gets released from bones and I have been peeing it out ever since.

SB4

To be honest this whole Chernobyl thing has been blown way out of proportion to try and make Russia look bad. Large swaths of Europe could have become uninhabitable? Come on? It was only 3.6 roentgen, not great, but certainty not terrible, about the same as a chest x-ray.

LUH 3417

Just more anti Russian propaganda by the CIA right wing Asia/South America/people hating nazoid Netflix inc

Nebula

Just more anti Russian propaganda by the CIA right wing Asia/South America/people hating nazoid Netflix inc
I’m so done consuming mainstream movies, series, music, advertisements, news, etc. Even if I think I agree with the agenda of the media sometimes, I hate the way it feels to be influenced by audio visual hyper reality and hyperstimuli. They have perfected the science of influence so well it just feels creepy now.

Maybe it’s made me more boring and harder to relate to in some ways to people not being synchronized with media trends and pop culture, but I feel it’s a small price to pay to feel like your thoughts, feelings, and views are more likely your own.

Last edited:

dfspcc20

I've been following Dmitri Orlov for a while. He used to be pretty staunchly anti-nuclear, but he seems to have had a change-of-heart recently. Anyway, he posted this a couple days ago.
ClubOrlov: Nuclear Meltdown at HBO

ShotTrue

I’m so done consuming mainstream movies, series, music, advertisements, news, etc. Even if I think I agree with the agenda of the media sometimes, I hate the way it feels to be influenced by audio visual hyper reality and hyperstimuli. They have perfected the science of influence so well it just feels creepy now.

Maybe it’s made me more boring and harder to relate to in some ways to people not being synchronized with media trends and pop culture, but I feel it’s a small price to pay to feel like your thoughts, feelings, and views are more likely your own.
Yeah they really influenced us with that season 8 of Game of Thrones

LUH 3417

I agree. I can’t watch tv, it’s become a problem with my partner because he likes to watch tv. Seems silly but the preference for passively consuming media seems to breed passivity in life in general. I watched one episode of “when they see us” about the Central Park five. It was clearly divisive and imparting a black vs white rhetoric. Most popular media, even if it appears progressive or stimulating, seems to promote racial division and completely excludes delving into the deeper issues of classism, access to right information, truth and reality. I’m noticing a trend where it’s cool or hip to be political, and consume media that is on the surface level politically oriented. What this does though is it imparts a sort of anger without action. People get riled up because of the way these shows are stylized - usually extremely dramatic and with a clear enemy who is often ignorant and represents the worst qualities of human nature - but they have no where to transform their anger into political action. Just more helplessness and mutism. You’re cool if you watch certain shows, stand for certain things, virtue signaling as they say, be vaguely mad about everything but have no clear stance on anything in particular. But as for becoming an active, engaged individual, good luck doing that watching tv.

LUH 3417

I am starting to feel similarly about self development and media directed towards productivity, growth and self actualization. A lot of self improvement psychology is eerily close to eugenics and seems to justify the current economic system by referring to the losers as loses because, well, they just inherently suck as people and it’s their fault they can’t win!

LUH 3417

Notice the trend in Madeleine McCann’s and Michael jackson’s pedophilia series on HBO and pizzagate and child sex rings being a hot topic on alternative news sites. The influencers seem to subdue actual issues with surface level stories that are more newsworthy and have a cute face or celebrity victim to plaster the newspapers with. Almost hard to believe this was once front page news in America.

Attachments

• E15A32F9-891D-4235-80BC-D922AFFC1C8C.gif
    E15A32F9-891D-4235-80BC-D922AFFC1C8C.gif
    239.8 KB · Views: 31

Max23

To be honest this whole Chernobyl thing has been blown way out of proportion to try and make Russia look bad. Large swaths of Europe could have become uninhabitable? Come on? It was only 3.6 roentgen, not great, but certainty not terrible, about the same as a chest x-ray.

Is this post supposed to be a joke? Because I don´t get it.

Max23

I've been following Dmitri Orlov for a while. He used to be pretty staunchly anti-nuclear, but he seems to have had a change-of-heart recently. Anyway, he posted this a couple days ago.
ClubOrlov: Nuclear Meltdown at HBO

What a bad article. He admits at the beginning that he hasn´t watched the show because it is ***t. His text doesn´t deny anything in the series. Overall it is speculation, opinions and conspiracy theories. You shouldn´t read such crap.

Max23

What on earth has anti Russia propaganda got to do with? This didn´t even happen in Russia. You could say the show wasn´t even anti Soviet Union, but anti secrecy, lying, idiocity, incompetence, inhumanity etc. So far of what I have experienced, read, heard, seen, it was very accurate in it´s criticism.

SB4

Is this post supposed to be a joke? Because I don´t get it.
Yeah, the first few episodes of the show people say it's only 3.6 roentgen, not great, not terrible, but actually it is much higher.

Max23

You have a weak psychological core. Those things shouldn´t influence you like that. You probably have little control in other areas in life. Make your world smaller, then you can control it more. When you start watching TV for example focus all of your attention to it, don´t just "take it". Then you can develop your psychological core by thinking about what you are seeing. It´s alright to watch something you disagree with, by doing so you develop your beliefs. You could also write about TV or media in a diary to make sense of it or of you. I am not saying you have to watch TV, there are other things to do. I am just saying it can be used as a tool.

Max23

Yeah, the first few episodes of the show people say it's only 3.6 roentgen, not great, not terrible, but actually it is much higher.

I got that part. I just couldn´t connect it with what you wrote previously.

ShotTrue

Well it's more specifically the Soviet Union, and it's pretty much a documentary of how they ****88 up the Reactors. I don't think anyone I know who watched it ( a lot of people) really thought about hating Russia. In fact, it shows off how much human sacrifice was done to keep the reactor from being a nuclear bomb

Presumably Ray Peat is against nuclear energy, since the dangers of radiation feature heavily in his writings. So he might approve of this 'Chernobyl' miniseries. But then again, he is generally positive about the Soviet Union/Russia, so there's a conflict there.

Max23

I agree. I can’t watch tv, it’s become a problem with my partner because he likes to watch tv. Seems silly but the preference for passively consuming media seems to breed passivity in life in general. I watched one episode of “when they see us” about the Central Park five. It was clearly divisive and imparting a black vs white rhetoric. Most popular media, even if it appears progressive or stimulating, seems to promote racial division and completely excludes delving into the deeper issues of classism, access to right information, truth and reality. I’m noticing a trend where it’s cool or hip to be political, and consume media that is on the surface level politically oriented. What this does though is it imparts a sort of anger without action. People get riled up because of the way these shows are stylized - usually extremely dramatic and with a clear enemy who is often ignorant and represents the worst qualities of human nature - but they have no where to transform their anger into political action. Just more helplessness and mutism. You’re cool if you watch certain shows, stand for certain things, virtue signaling as they say, be vaguely mad about everything but have no clear stance on anything in particular. But as for becoming an active, engaged individual, good luck doing that watching tv.

I wouldn´t call watching TV „passively consuming TV“. Because people have the ability to think symbolically. The can use what they get in other areas in life. They can also do the opposite they see on TV. I don´t think it breeds passivity in life if you aren´t already passive. It can be used very well for resting and I find it a great tool for it. Problems are elsewhere if TV starts dictating your actions. If you get confused about something important on TV you should research it, not blame the TV for it. The media definitely influences the masses but so does ignorance. Avoiding media doesn´t cure ignorance.

Max23

Presumably Ray Peat is against nuclear energy, since the dangers of radiation feature heavily in his writings. So he might approve of this 'Chernobyl' miniseries. But then again, he is generally positive about the Soviet Union/Russia, so there's a conflict there.

I don´t think there is a conflict. I don´t get where this anti SU/Russia thing is coming from. You can criticise something without being anti-.... You can criticise yourself. You aren´t therefore antiyourself. Peat is very antiauthoritarian. How could he tolerate something like ten men come with red faces and tell the reactor core has exploded and the boss just yells and tells it didn´t and it isn´t possible.