Having A Hard Time Understanding The Peat Diet

JenniferBT

Ive never felt better than when I adopted a grain free/dairy free/high fat diet. At least 75% of what I eat is nutrient rich vegatables, 0 grains, 0 dairy, 0 soy, 0 processed food, less than 20g of sugars a day and small amounts of lean meat and coconut oil at every meal. I drink loads of water, several cups of coffee a day and bone broth at least once a day. Im having a really hard time wrapping my mind around high carb/high sugar/lots of dairy.
I will admit Im not near as smart about these kinds of things as most of you seem to be but I do know my body and how it feels/reacts to things.
Can someone please explain in simple layman terms how the Peat diet is better and why/how it works.

Ive never felt better than when I adopted a grain free/dairy free/high fat diet.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

At least 75% of what I eat is nutrient rich vegatables

How is that high fat?

And how are you eating high fat without dairy fat?

Im having a really hard time wrapping my mind around high carb/high sugar/lots of dairy.

Well, of the 75% the nutrient rich vegetables of you eat, some of that is sugar.

Sugar is so important that your body will literally break down your own muscles to turn them into sugar if you don't eat it.

Your brain optimally consumes about 120 grams of sugar daily. Sugar is the sole fuel for the human brain, except during prolonged fasting, and even then the brain still needs a small amount of sugar. The brain lacks fuel stores and hence requires a continuous supply of sugar.

If you have zero sugar in your blood, you die.

Can someone please explain in simple layman terms how the Peat diet is better and why/how it works.

There is not an official Peat diet, but there is a template.

"I start with trying to make a context clear, because everyone’s context is different, and meanings change when they are learned. Ideally, things should make no sense until they make the right sense."-RP

Last edited:

Velve921

"I start with trying to make a context clear, because everyone’s context is different, and meanings change when they are learned. Ideally, things should make no sense until they make the right sense."-RP

I agree with the above quote. Dr. Peat offers knowledge that people can find meaning and make sense for themselves.

OP
J

JenniferBT

Thanks for an explanation. I will definitely do more reading and more research. I dont plan to change my diet much Im just new here and trying to understand the whys and hows of it. And high fat because most of those vegetables are cooked in either coconut oil or olive oil. I also often add coconut oil to my coffee and other things. I go threw a staggering amount of it.

M

member 2106

Why are you drinking "loads of water"? Are you feeling dehydrated?

OP
J

JenniferBT

My temps are usually pretty good. My 3 pm temp runs on an average of 98.2 or so.

OP
J

JenniferBT

Ive always been someone who drinks all day long, constantly. It used to be tea or soda but since adopting a healthier diet Ive switched to water. Probably at least a gallon a day. No I dont feel particularly dehydrated except for maybe first thing in the morning.

Constatine

Ive always been someone who drinks all day long, constantly. It used to be tea or soda but since adopting a healthier diet Ive switched to water. Probably at least a gallon a day. No I dont feel particularly dehydrated except for maybe first thing in the morning.
Your current diet seems pretty healthy. I think shifting the bulk of your diet from vegetables to fruit would be better though. Milk is not necessary (but still helpful) especially if your getting your calcium via vegetables. Maybe just add a glass or two a day. As for water listen to your body, too much water can be very bad.

M

member 2106

I'd advise you to stop drinking so much water, it doesn't make much sense except for hydration.

johnwester130

Peat's work is just a theory on how to promote a healthy, youthful metabolism and a different opinion on estrogen, prostate cancer etc.

That's it.

There is no peat diet.

There is no peat diet.

Yea but there is a Peat template of milk and oj, fruit, raw carrot, cheese, gelatin and weekly or bi-weekly shellfish/liver/mushroom, and thyroid hormone(s). That's not the template I use but it does exist as a baseline.

Tarmander

Might be worth an experiment to see how you react to carbs. If you have some rice or bread or some juice, how do you feel? Do you swell up? Get sluggish? Or do you feel more energy, better? This would probably tell you a bit about your carb metabolism and if higher fat is worsening it over time. If it ain't broke don't fix it, but if you start having trouble sleeping, getting very skinny, losing muscle mass, don't be afraid to change it up.

yeah theres definitely a peat diet... i dk what everyone is saying... no starch, high fructose, only carrots and mushrooms for vegetables, liver and oysters 1x a week, saturated fat good, polyunsaturated fat bad, high calcium, high magnesium, high potassium, high sodium, temp above 98.6, good vit D w/ pre cursors... ummm i might be missing some things, thats the general gist of it, you are going to want to do some research there op

paymanz

Don't you have any cravings for carbs?

Have you ever calculated how much carbs you eat a day?

tara

Can I ask why? Its been great for my skin and migraines. I thought drinking water was a good thing.
Peat's suggestion is to not drink more water than you are thirsty for, to avoid water-logging/overdilution. Which varies quite a bit depending on climate, exertion, metabolism, etc. I think I can trigger migraines from either too much or too little fluid. A gallon is too much for me most days, but if I drink less than ~2.5l liquids, some of it water, sometimes more, I'm likely to get in trouble. Unless you are peeing clear and very frequent, your own tastes are probably as good a guide as anything, and if you've improved your migraines by drinking more that seems like a really good sign - congratulations.