Having A Hard Time Understanding The Peat Diet

beachbum

Ive never felt better than when I adopted a grain free/dairy free/high fat diet. At least 75% of what I eat is nutrient rich vegatables, 0 grains, 0 dairy, 0 soy, 0 processed food, less than 20g of sugars a day and small amounts of lean meat and coconut oil at every meal. I drink loads of water, several cups of coffee a day and bone broth at least once a day. Im having a really hard time wrapping my mind around high carb/high sugar/lots of dairy.
I will admit Im not near as smart about these kinds of things as most of you seem to be but I do know my body and how it feels/reacts to things.
Can someone please explain in simple layman terms how the Peat diet is better and why/how it works.
Hello,

Do you feel your over or under weight? Just curious.

OP
J

JenniferBT

Don't you have any cravings for carbs?

Have you ever calculated how much carbs you eat a day?
I dont eat very many carbs. Im celiac to start with so absolutely no grains. I do eat sweet potatoes a few times a week but carbs tend to make me feel weighted down.

OP
J

JenniferBT

Hello,

Do you feel your over or under weight? Just curious.
Im definatly still overweight by at least 20lbs. My weight loss has stalled for some reason though. I was losing 3lbs a week for a long while. But I feel so much better than I did a year ago so cant complain too much.

Forsythia

This is how I eat Peat to keep my metabolism high and my stress hormones low:
· Eat enough calories every day.
· Eat regularly throughout the day (minimum 3 meals a day).
· Eat low PUFA (no vegetable oils or nuts/seeds).
· Eat protein, fat and carbs with every meal (example fruit with cheese or orange juice with eggs).
· Eat a minimum of 80-100 grams of protein a day, mostly from dairy (low fat milk helps normalize weight, milk is high in calcium, a powerful stimulant of metabolism).
· Eat high fruit/orange juice (for the magnesium/potassium/ minerals/ vitamin C/sugars).
· Eat raw carrots regularly (normalizes digestion and hormones).
· Eat eggs regularly (for the protein and vitamin A).
· Eat potatoes regularly (best vegetable source of protein).
· Salt food to taste (keeps stress hormones low, helps with the absorption and retention of minerals).
· Sugar food to taste (keeps stress hormones low, helps digestion).

B

Braveheart

· Eat protein, fat and carbs with every meal (example fruit with cheese or orange juice with eggs).
· Eat a minimum of 80-100 grams of protein a day, mostly from dairy (low fat milk helps normalize weight, milk is high in calcium, a powerful stimulant of metabolism).
· Eat high fruit/orange juice (for the magnesium/potassium/ minerals/ vitamin C/sugars).
· Salt food to taste (keeps stress hormones low, helps with the absorption and retention of minerals).
nice!

L

lollipop

Seems balanced to me :):

sladerunner69

Ive never felt better than when I adopted a grain free/dairy free/high fat diet. At least 75% of what I eat is nutrient rich vegatables, 0 grains, 0 dairy, 0 soy, 0 processed food, less than 20g of sugars a day and small amounts of lean meat and coconut oil at every meal. I drink loads of water, several cups of coffee a day and bone broth at least once a day. Im having a really hard time wrapping my mind around high carb/high sugar/lots of dairy.
I will admit Im not near as smart about these kinds of things as most of you seem to be but I do know my body and how it feels/reacts to things.
Can someone please explain in simple layman terms how the Peat diet is better and why/how it works.

Try the diet for a month and see how you feel, you have nothing to lose right? I bet you will see improvement in your percieved health and wellbeing.

kayumochi

Thanks for an explanation. I will definitely do more reading and more research. I dont plan to change my diet much Im just new here and trying to understand the whys and hows of it. And high fat because most of those vegetables are cooked in either coconut oil or olive oil. I also often add coconut oil to my coffee and other things. I go threw a staggering amount of it.

My diet has been similar to yours and I have no real complaints but not long ago I got a blood test and found my thyroid was borderline low and my cholesterol didn't look so good either. Never thought it would happen to me on my diet but it did. I have been aware of Ray Peat for several years now and never understood my attraction as my diet didn't resemble anything he advocated but now I suspect Life was trying to tell me to change my diet, or at least tweak it, which is what I am doing now.

GoodOlMiak

Hey @JenniferBT

Why did you decide to try a new approach?

I sense that your goal is to lose weight (approx. 20 lbs.).

You can incorporate some ideas from these forums to enhance your weight loss and total health.

For me, getting rid of endotoxin in the gut was largely beneficial. Some of the vegetables and legumes I ate fermented in my gut. These cause an accumulation of brain fogging, hormone disturbing reactions such as increased seratonin and estrogen (known in this community as a "shock hormone", not "the female hormone" as we have been taught).

Simply add a raw carrot, vinegar and coconut oil salad to your diet and avoid nuts and legumes.

If you are trying to run off of ketone as fuel you might have a hard time adjusting to sugar. But focus on keeping your gut clean first and see how you feel before incorporating other aspects of the diet.

This approach helped me transition very well. I still don't eat much sugar but I no longer keep away from it in my diet. I came from a similar diet approach before I found this forum.

Dragon

man, that's as succinct and clear as I've ever seen it. :)

sladerunner69

I felt good on a Paleo diet with organic veggies and bone broth and grass fed beef and no dairy, sugar, or artificial foods. I felt decent and peaceful and relaxed but never fantastic and never very inspired.

After adopting Peat's views and understandings, and drinking tons of OJ and milk through the day, I felt energized and motivated alld ay long. I felt less susceptible to emotional stress, and almost invulnerable to physical stress. Lifting wieghts, for example, would not make me sore and there would be less than a day respite before I was ready to train that bodypart again whereas I would be waiting 5 days with my old diet for the same readiness feeling. Peating is like a superboost, helps me to function remarkably well at all times. Sometimes the anxiety can get qutie bad though, I beleive one fo the few drawbacks for a high emtabolism for me has been a feeling of anxiety that can creep up after too much coffee, and I never had that problem on low carb.

Elysium

Peat's work is just a theory on how to promote a healthy, youthful metabolism and a different opinion on estrogen, prostate cancer etc.

That's it.

There is no peat diet.

What a cliche. And false. Of course there is a peat diet and that's what this forum is about.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals