Have You Meat, But Eat It First

Hans

This study looked at consuming either protein or carbs first in the meal. Each time, consuming fish or meat before the rice increased satiety and reduced the glucose response from the meal.

So if you have insulin issues, eat meat before your carbs. This would count for juice as well, because the meat will slow down digestion and absorption of the juice.

Meal sequence and glucose excursion, gastric emptying and incretin secretion in type 2 diabetes: a randomised, controlled crossover, exploratory tr... - PubMed - NCBI
"RESULTS: FR (fish before rice) and MR (meat before rice) in comparison with RF (rice before fish) ameliorated postprandial glucose excursion (AUC-15-240 min-glucose: type 2 diabetes, FR 2,326.6 ± 114.7 mmol/l × min, MR 2,257.0 ± 82.3 mmol/l × min, RF 2,475.6 ± 87.2 mmol/l × min [p < 0.05 for FR vs RF and MR vs RF]; healthy, FR 1,419.8 ± 72.3 mmol/l × min, MR 1,389.7 ± 69.4 mmol/l × min, RF 1,483.9 ± 72.8 mmol/l × min) and glucose variability (SD-15-240 min-glucose: type 2 diabetes, FR 1.94 ± 0.22 mmol/l, MR 1.68 ± 0.18 mmol/l, RF 2.77 ± 0.24 mmol/l [p < 0.05 for FR vs RF and MR vs RF]; healthy, FR 0.95 ± 0.21 mmol/l, MR 0.83 ± 0.16 mmol/l, RF 1.18 ± 0.27 mmol/l). FR and MR also enhanced GLP-1 secretion, MR more strongly than FR or RF (AUC-15-240 min-GLP-1: type 2 diabetes, FR 7,123.4 ± 376.3 pmol/l × min, MR 7,743.6 ± 801.4 pmol/l × min, RF 6,189.9 ± 581.3 pmol/l × min [p < 0.05 for FR vs RF and MR vs RF]; healthy, FR 3,977.3 ± 324.6 pmol/l × min, MR 4,897.7 ± 330.7 pmol/l × min, RF 3,747.5 ± 572.6 pmol/l × min [p < 0.05 for MR vs RF and MR vs FR]). FR and MR delayed gastric emptying (Time50%: type 2 diabetes, FR 83.2 ± 7.2 min, MR 82.3 ± 6.4 min, RF 29.8 ± 3.9 min [p < 0.05 for FR vs RF and MR vs RF]; healthy, FR 66.3 ± 5.5 min, MR 74.4 ± 7.6 min, RF 32.4 ± 4.5 min [p < 0.05 for FR vs RF and MR vs RF]), which is associated with amelioration of postprandial glucose excursion (AUC-15-120 min-glucose: type 2 diabetes, r = -0.746, p < 0.05; healthy, r = -0.433, p < 0.05) and glucose variability (SD-15-240 min-glucose: type 2 diabetes, r = -0.578, p < 0.05; healthy, r = -0.526, p < 0.05), as well as with increasing GLP-1 (AUC-15-120 min-GLP-1: type 2 diabetes, r = 0.437, p < 0.05; healthy, r = 0.300, p = 0.107) and glucagon (AUC-15-120 min-glucagon: type 2 diabetes, r = 0.399, p < 0.05; healthy, r = 0.471, p < 0.05). The measured outcomes were comparable between the two randomised groups.

CONCLUSIONS/INTERPRETATION:
Meal sequence can play a role in postprandial glucose control through both delayed gastric emptying and enhanced incretin secretion. Our findings provide clues for medical nutrition therapy to better prevent and manage type 2 diabetes"

milkboi

Nice finding. I experienced this myself: fried up some liver, ate that, and after that made some rice noodles with tomato sauce. Needed only half the portion of the latter to hit satiety than I usually do.

connorj123

I thought eating meat with a starch would interfere with digestion to be honest with you since sugars inhibit hydrochloric acid in the stomach

Hans

Nice finding. I experienced this myself: fried up some liver, ate that, and after that made some rice noodles with tomato sauce. Needed only half the portion of the latter to hit satiety than I usually do.
I also eat my meat first and I think that I'm actually leaning out. It's subtle and slow, but I think it's there. Must be because of better insulin signalling.
I thought eating meat with a starch would interfere with digestion to be honest with you since sugars inhibit hydrochloric acid in the stomach
No, sugar doesn't interfere with the digestion of protein, but starches might because starches and protein digest best in different pHs. But this might only be a problem if your digestion is already compromised.