Have Ruined My Gallbladder By Low Fat Diet, Now I Can't Get Back To Eating Fat

Hgreen56

After a few months of practically fat-free diet, I can't eat more than 10g of fat a day. Even 15g triggers intense nausea, abdominal pain, migraine and food aversion for many hours.

After various failed attempts to heal the liver / gallbladder using nutrients and herbs, I believe I can't heal without eating more fats. But the pain eating fat causes is unbearable.

How to break the vicious cycle and be able to eat fat again?
Hey man,
how are you doing now, any progress?

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

so i go's downhill.
You have already seeing a doctor?
increasing fat intake doesn't help?
Yes, it is... Have tried to see a doctor twice, but our hospitals are refusing any non-urgent non-corona patients right now. The lockdown should be lifted later this month, so hopefully I will get to the doctor soon.

Increasing fat intake is pretty much impossible, because eating fat messes up my digestion so bad (and for so long) I'm failing to meet my caloric requirements. No-fat diet is the lesser evil at this point.

Hgreen56

Yes, it is... Have tried to see a doctor twice, but our hospitals are refusing any non-urgent non-corona patients right now. The lockdown should be lifted later this month, so hopefully I will get to the doctor soon.

Increasing fat intake is pretty much impossible, because eating fat messes up my digestion so bad (and for so long) I'm failing to meet my caloric requirements. No-fat diet is the lesser evil at this point.
so its only fat cause pain? all other low fat foods doesnt hurt?

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

"artifical bile acid,dont know anything about it though:
Topical Oils,like Olive Oil,high in Oleic acid,could bolster the amount you can consume by circumventing bile requrements."
Conjugated bile acid replacement therapy in short bowel syndrome patients with a residual colon. - PubMed - NCBI
This looks very good! Cholylsarcosine doesn't seem to be widely available at this moment, but have bought some UDCA from Russian pharmacy this week. Have high hopes!

Last edited:
OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

so its only fat cause pain? all other low fat foods doesnt hurt?
A lot of low-fat foods hurt, but far less, and there are some low fat foods I can tolerate. I can't tolerate any high fat foods.

Also, I have very specific reaction to high fat foods - migraine, extreme food aversion, mild disorientation. I don't have this with low fat foods even if they upset my stomach.

EDIT: Also, the pain is proportional to the amount of fat in the high fat food - for example, I tolerate 30% cheese better, than 45% cheese, and 20% cheese better, than 30% cheese. I tolerate lean meat better, than fatty meat.

Last edited:
This looks very good! Cholylsarcosine doesn't seem to be widely available at this moment, but have bought some UDCA from Russian pharmacy this week. Have high hopes!
Also topical application,maybe you can shower after a period of time of uptake,back of knee,elbowfold are options for uptake.Also,you should ask RP for advice.

A lot of low-fat foods hurt, but far less, and there are some low fat foods I can tolerate. I can't tolerate any high fat foods.

Also, I have very specific reaction to high fat foods - migraine, extreme food aversion, mild disorientation. I don't have this with low fat foods even if they upset my stomach.

EDIT: Also, the pain is proportional to the amount of fat in the high fat food - for example, I tolerate 30% cheese better, than 45% cheese, and 20% cheese better, than 30% cheese. I tolerate lean meat better, than fatty meat.

You should also supplement with everything,i mean physiologic material like vitamins and elements in higher dosages,maybe you have acquired a weird deficiency,could be an isolated regional deficiency,there is so,so,so much that can be out of order but still fixable.

Vesi

Have you tried lecithin?

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Have you tried lecithin?
Have tried isolated choline and inositol with very good results in the past, but I can't tolerate them anymore. It is a bummer because my digestion improved significantly, when I was able to use them. I have 1lb of lecithin at home, but haven't tried it yet. I should.

faisman

After a few months of practically fat-free diet, I can't eat more than 10g of fat a day. Even 15g triggers intense nausea, abdominal pain, migraine and food aversion for many hours.

After various failed attempts to heal the liver / gallbladder using nutrients and herbs, I believe I can't heal without eating more fats. But the pain eating fat causes is unbearable.

Hi man,

I’ve experienced something very similar and it took me a while to figure out it was a bile/gallbladder issue at first. I never really went very low fat so I didn’t think it would be the case. But at some point I had 2 eggs with some cheese and experienced a very sharp pain in the gallbladder area which confirmed it for me. Eggs and dairy were definitely more difficult than things like beef fat. But even with that it still had to be in very small amounts and well cooked/fully rendered.

I tried a lot of things along the way but my advice would be:

• Avoid eggs and dairy fat for now (I also found they are the most difficult). You can add them in slowly later on and once things improve.

• Take it slow, see what you can tolerate and stick to it for a week or so, increasing it bit by bit as you see fit.
  • Get an ox bile supplement. I used Nutricology but maybe get the 125mg one as you can adjust the dose better, I found 500mg to be too much. I found it best to take it a bit after the meal.

• Get a good liver/gallbladder supplement. I used the Thorne Liver Cleanse and found it worked quite well.
In my case I feel like these steps are what ended up getting things moving again. I am doing much better now and can tolerate fats pretty much normally I would say, including egg and dairy fat. In the mean time, try to keep everything else in terms of general metabolic/thyroid health in check as it's all connected.

Hope this helps!

A couple thoughts about this. Gallbladder issues have a corrolation with hormones. Gallbladder issues are more common in women who have had multiple children. So I would guess that means Estrogen is probably elevated with gallbladder problems.

Also have you had your thyroid checked? Hypothyroidism and gallbladder problems can be linked.

I have had issues with this and it is no fun! But don't lose hope. I definitely think you can improve this.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

So many warm, caring and supportive post in this thread, thank you all!! <3

Hi man,

I’ve experienced something very similar and it took me a while to figure out it was a bile/gallbladder issue at first. I never really went very low fat so I didn’t think it would be the case. But at some point I had 2 eggs with some cheese and experienced a very sharp pain in the gallbladder area which confirmed it for me. Eggs and dairy were definitely more difficult than things like beef fat. But even with that it still had to be in very small amounts and well cooked/fully rendered.

I tried a lot of things along the way but my advice would be:

• Avoid eggs and dairy fat for now (I also found they are the most difficult). You can add them in slowly later on and once things improve.

• Take it slow, see what you can tolerate and stick to it for a week or so, increasing it bit by bit as you see fit.
  • Get an ox bile supplement. I used Nutricology but maybe get the 125mg one as you can adjust the dose better, I found 500mg to be too much. I found it best to take it a bit after the meal.

• Get a good liver/gallbladder supplement. I used the Thorne Liver Cleanse and found it worked quite well.
In my case I feel like these steps are what ended up getting things moving again. I am doing much better now and can tolerate fats pretty much normally I would say, including egg and dairy fat. In the mean time, try to keep everything else in terms of general metabolic/thyroid health in check as it's all connected.

Hope this helps!
Wow, my experience was pretty much exactly the same as yours! Have tried ox bile supplement, but have bought the 500mg version and yes, it was too much. I gave up after a few capsules and never tried it again. I need to try 125mg capsules. Also the point about cooking the fats well is really interesting, never considered that. How (and how long) would you cook your beef for the best digestion?
So increasing your fat intake slowly and gradually, when you felt like you are doing well and might tolerate more, helped?
Your success story is great inspiration and motivation for me. Thank you! How long have you suffered with the condition and how long it took you to fix it?

@JanP what happens when you eat a raw carrot?
because carrots causes more bile, makes carrots the pain more or less worse?
I have no particular reaction to raw carrot, it makes the pain neither better nor worse. After reading all the success stories here, I really wanted RP's carrot salad to work, but it don't :(

A couple thoughts about this. Gallbladder issues have a corrolation with hormones. Gallbladder issues are more common in women who have had multiple children. So I would guess that means Estrogen is probably elevated with gallbladder problems.

Also have you had your thyroid checked? Hypothyroidism and gallbladder problems can be linked.

I have had issues with this and it is no fun! But don't lose hope. I definitely think you can improve this.
I have both hypothyroidism (confirmed by blood tests and pulse/temps measurements) and high estrogen / endotoxin symptoms, but I never had any luck fixing these issues. Somehow I also feel I need to fix my digestion and get enough nutrients first so my thyroid can start working properly again, get things moving and get rid of the endotoxin / estrogen this way. It is really a feedback loop.

Hgreen56

I have no particular reaction to raw carrot, it makes the pain neither better nor worse. After reading all the success stories here, I really wanted RP's carrot salad to work, but it don't :(
you said couple post back that you eat fruit.
fruit = soluble fiber = hurting liver.
You have already read this?
Soluble Fiber Causes Liver Cancer, Insoluble And Antibiotics Prevent/stop It
Maybe ditching whole fruits is your solution
(and keep eating carrots for insoluble fiber).

faisman

So many warm, caring and supportive post in this thread, thank you all!! <3

Wow, my experience was pretty much exactly the same as yours! Have tried ox bile supplement, but have bought the 500mg version and yes, it was too much. I gave up after a few capsules and never tried it again. I need to try 125mg capsules. Also the point about cooking the fats well is really interesting, never considered that. How (and how long) would you cook your beef for the best digestion?
So increasing your fat intake slowly and gradually, when you felt like you are doing well and might tolerate more, helped?
Your success story is great inspiration and motivation for me. Thank you! How long have you suffered with the condition and how long it took you to fix it?

I have both hypothyroidism (confirmed by blood tests and pulse/temps measurements) and high estrogen / endotoxin symptoms, but I never had any luck fixing these issues. Somehow I also feel I need to fix my digestion and get enough nutrients first so my thyroid can start working properly again, get things moving and get rid of the endotoxin / estrogen this way. It is really a feedback loop.

Yeah you should definitely try the 125mg capsules, I think the 500mg ones are more for people who’ve had their gallbladders removed.

About cooking the beef, I just made sure its fully cooked. Its more of an issue with steaks, I remember having one cooked medium and getting a bad gallbladder reaction from the fat but that didn’t happen if it was well done.

And yes its basically just giving your liver/gallbladder some support and slowly upping fats again. I don’t recall the exact timeframe for all of this but I think it was around a year. But I think it can be much quicker for you if you followed this approach, it involved a lot of trial and error for me. I’ve settled now on having fats at about 20-25% of my diet and its going quite well.

And yes it is a feedback loop situation with the thyroid. Just try to find foods that agree with you and can provide the necessary nutrients. Maybe you could also give your thyroid a boost, are you taking any thyroid hormone?

Don’t stress it, you’ll fix it in no time :D

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals