Have Ruined My Gallbladder By Low Fat Diet, Now I Can't Get Back To Eating Fat

BearWithMe

After a few months of practically fat-free diet, I can't eat more than 10g of fat a day. Even 15g triggers intense nausea, abdominal pain, migraine and food aversion for many hours.

After various failed attempts to heal the liver / gallbladder using nutrients and herbs, I believe I can't heal without eating more fats. But the pain eating fat causes is unbearable.

How to break the vicious cycle and be able to eat fat again?

TheSir

What kind of fats? Have you tried pure coconut oil? Fatty meat? Dairy? Any difference between them?

scoobydoo

Check pathways connected to bile production. For instance a faulty sulfuration pathway can lower production causing fat malabsorption. Taking digestive enzymes with a good bile (ox bile perhaps) and increasing fats slowly should help.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

What kind of fats? Have you tried pure coconut oil? Fatty meat? Dairy? Any difference between them?
Many thanks for your reply! Dairy fats and egg fats are the hardest on my digestion, meat fats are the easiest and coconut oil is somewhere inbetween. But even when eating as much meat as I can, I'm still not getting reasonable amounts of fat in my diet :(

redsun

After a few months of practically fat-free diet, I can't eat more than 10g of fat a day. Even 15g triggers intense nausea, abdominal pain, migraine and food aversion for many hours.

After various failed attempts to heal the liver / gallbladder using nutrients and herbs, I believe I can't heal without eating more fats. But the pain eating fat causes is unbearable.

Geez man, of one of the reasons I would never do a fat free or super low fat diet causing gallbladder issues is the one that worries me the most. Looks like that's what you have now

I am not sure but you may have to give it a lot of time for your body to readjust to fat intake. I believe meat fats would be the best fat to use and just increase it slowly. If 10-15g is too much try lower and make sure nutrient intakes of B vitamins, especially B5 and vitamin C are adequate if they aren't already.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Geez man, of one of the reasons I would never do a fat free or super low fat diet causing gallbladder issues is the one that worries me the most. Looks like that's what you have now

I am not sure but you may have to give it a lot of time for your body to readjust to fat intake. I believe meat fats would be the best fat to use and just increase it slowly. If 10-15g is too much try lower and make sure nutrient intakes of B vitamins, especially B5 and vitamin C are adequate if they aren't already.
I wish I knew this earlier. :( Yes, I'm digesting meat fats much better than any other fat. I belive I'm getting adequate amounts of vitamin C from orange juice, but I might be deficient in B5. Many thanks for your advice!

Vinny

SLOWLY increasing fat intake might be the way to recovery. Our bodies need fat, so, soon or later, yours will start to assimilate it. Good luck.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

SLOWLY increasing fat intake might be the way to recovery. Our bodies need fat, so, soon or later, yours will start to assimilate it. Good luck.
Actually I feel the opposite, the longer I'm trying to slowly introduce fats, the worse I handle it. I have been trying to increase my fat for at least couple of months and now I'm able to tolerate less fats than before. It feels a bit like I'm slowly running out of some nutrient needed to digest fat, or something...

scoobydoo

Actually I feel the opposite, the longer I'm trying to slowly introduce fats, the worse I handle it. I have been trying to increase my fat for at least couple of months and now I'm able to tolerate less fats than before. It feels a bit like I'm slowly running out of some nutrient needed to digest fat, or something...
If you’re able to afford an OAT test or basic stool panel it may give some good insights
What is your cholesterol? AST/ALT?

CLASH

@JanP
In my expereince it takes a few days of eating the higher fat again for the liver to adjust and the gallbladder to clear. In my experience with people who have had issues initially, glycine, taurine, and ox bile were helpful. Perhaps some coffe which tends to cause bile release from the liver, might help as well.

Apply coconut oil topically.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

If you’re able to afford an OAT test or basic stool panel it may give some good insights
What is your cholesterol? AST/ALT?
Actually I was thinking about getting this test, but there seems to be no lab that would do it in my country.

Here are my bloodwork results:
Cholesterol: 4,34 mmol/l
ALT: 1,27 µkat/l
AST: 0,81 µkat/l
GGT: 1,02 µkat/l

scoobydoo

Actually I was thinking about getting this test, but there seems to be no lab that would do it in my country.

Here are my bloodwork results:
Cholesterol: 4,34 mmol/l
ALT: 1,27 µkat/l
AST: 0,81 µkat/l
GGT: 1,02 µkat/l

ALT is a bit high for my liking but other than that seems good. Check gojiman Shopify store he sells the test from UK so it may be available to you depending

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Can you describe your fat-free diet? What symptoms of it not working have you had?
Basically fruits, skimmed milk and low fat milk products. I felt horrible overall, lack of libido, no motivation to do things and fatigue were the worst symptoms.

This is really interesting idea, would it be possible to estimate how much of it would absorb?

Pure coconut oil absorbs almost complete over time. Mixed with stearic acid doesn't.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

ALT is a bit high for my liking but other than that seems good. Check gojiman Shopify store he sells the test from UK so it may be available to you depending
Thank you for the tip, will contact him!

Have you ever tried being without dairy? Sucks the life out of me, especially milk, cultured dairy is a little better. Makes it hard for me to even get out of bed, horrible brain fog and stuff.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals