Have I Got SIBO?

Carrum

Just recently I started getting a pain on the left hand side of my belly next to my navel. No constipation but have had very loose stools.
I've had pain every day for weeks apart from at the weekend when I had virtually no carbs. Over the course of the past few weeks I have cut out orange juice, honey, apples, coca cola and finally sugar which is pretty much the only carbs I would have. Today and yesterday my only carbs were dextrose powder (I mixed it in water and collagen). I still had a little pain but not as much as usual and at least I was able to take in enough calories. I've lost weight that I did not want to lose as I have not been getting enough calories because of the pain. I can eat as much fatty meat and eggs as I please without it causing any belly ache but I feel exhausted when I try to work after eating meat (My work is very physical on construction sites) so my meat eating is just in the evenings which is not problematic at all.
It seems to me that fructose is causing the problem.

Last edited:
OP
C

Carrum

btw, the only thing I had done differently in the past month or so was to have a peeled apple most days. Surely that isn't the thing to set this all off?

It's possible you have SIBO or sensitivities to FODMAPS. Never hurts to get it checked out by a doctor to be on the safe side.

OP
C

Carrum

It's now looking like I might not have SIBO at all. I got talking to somebody on a Facebook group and they mentioned that they can't seem to handle collagen powder. This got me thinking. I started using a new brand (to me) of collagen powder some weeks ago which may have been around the time I started getting pain. I cut out the collagen a few days ago now and have had no pain since.
I've added sugar, oj and honey back into my diet and no pain from them. I'm probably going to try the collagen again at the end of the week to see what happens. If I get any pain I'm contacting the company.
I've never had pain with Zint or Great Lakes so I can always fall back on those if it is the new collagen that's the problem.

Tzheng2012

It's now looking like I might not have SIBO at all. I got talking to somebody on a Facebook group and they mentioned that they can't seem to handle collagen powder. This got me thinking. I started using a new brand (to me) of collagen powder some weeks ago which may have been around the time I started getting pain. I cut out the collagen a few days ago now and have had no pain since.
I've added sugar, oj and honey back into my diet and no pain from them. I'm probably going to try the collagen again at the end of the week to see what happens. If I get any pain I'm contacting the company.
I've never had pain with Zint or Great Lakes so I can always fall back on those if it is the new collagen that's the problem.
What brand have you been using? I heard some collagens can cause histamine issues

OP
C

Carrum

I don't want to say as it may have had nothing to do with the particular brand of collagen. I was planning on trying it again to see what happens but have chickened out so far.

Could histamine issues cause a belly ache?

Tzheng2012

I don't want to say as it may have had nothing to do with the particular brand of collagen. I was planning on trying it again to see what happens but have chickened out so far.

Could histamine issues cause a belly ache?
Not sure, but I think it can sensitize your pain receptors so if you have a small amount of bloating and gas you will feel as if there’s huge amounts of pressure trapped in the intestines and when the gas comes out you get relief. I have this.

OP
C

Carrum

I started getting belly aches again. Very minor compared to before. Starting mid morning or early afternoon. Just lately breakfast has only been honey in warm water. I would then drink orange juice all day at work. A few days ago I started getting a belly ache about mid morning. I blamed the orange juice and decided to have a coke instead. I had not had coke in ages. I drank a quarter can and set it down to get on with my work. Very soon after, the belly ache had gone. I had some more coke and no belly ache. At lunch time I had orange juice again and also more of the coke. No belly ache. Had more juice and finished the coke. No belly ache. Yesterday I had honey at breakfast. During work I had about 2.5 ltrs of juice and 2 cans of coke. No belly ache. Same today.
It seems that I need to be drinking coke to keep the belly ache away? I will add back the collagen (brand name withheld) and make sure to have one or two cans of coke during the day and see if the belly ache comes back.
Now that I think about it, I stopped drinking coke at around the same time that I started the new (to me) brand of collagen. If I had continued with the coke I may not have started getting belly aches? Well, we shall see what happens in the next few days.

Svdmeere

I started getting belly aches again. Very minor compared to before. Starting mid morning or early afternoon. Just lately breakfast has only been honey in warm water. I would then drink orange juice all day at work. A few days ago I started getting a belly ache about mid morning. I blamed the orange juice and decided to have a coke instead. I had not had coke in ages. I drank a quarter can and set it down to get on with my work. Very soon after, the belly ache had gone. I had some more coke and no belly ache. At lunch time I had orange juice again and also more of the coke. No belly ache. Had more juice and finished the coke. No belly ache. Yesterday I had honey at breakfast. During work I had about 2.5 ltrs of juice and 2 cans of coke. No belly ache. Same today.
It seems that I need to be drinking coke to keep the belly ache away? I will add back the collagen (brand name withheld) and make sure to have one or two cans of coke during the day and see if the belly ache comes back.
Now that I think about it, I stopped drinking coke at around the same time that I started the new (to me) brand of collagen. If I had continued with the coke I may not have started getting belly aches? Well, we shall see what happens in the next few days.
Interesting! I have also noticed that coke helps in keeping gut issues at bay. Any update on your situation?

OP
C

Carrum

Interesting! I have also noticed that coke helps in keeping gut issues at bay. Any update on your situation?
In the end I went to the doctor. I had tests for various things. It turned out that I had H. pylori. The doctor prescribed me a course of antibiotics. I don't know why I took them because I never intended to take any prescription meds before I went to her. I wanted to know what the problem was being caused by and hopefully make some non pharma changes to correct it. Anyway, I took the antibiotics without really thinking about it until the antibiotics started making me feel unwell in a different way to the original problem. They did seem to work but two weeks after I finished the course, the problem came back. I didn't want to take the antibiotics again so I hunted around for another solution and saw black seed oil recommended so I tried that out and it works and no side effects.

Svdmeere

In the end I went to the doctor. I had tests for various things. It turned out that I had H. pylori. The doctor prescribed me a course of antibiotics. I don't know why I took them because I never intended to take any prescription meds before I went to her. I wanted to know what the problem was being caused by and hopefully make some non pharma changes to correct it. Anyway, I took the antibiotics without really thinking about it until the antibiotics started making me feel unwell in a different way to the original problem. They did seem to work but two weeks after I finished the course, the problem came back. I didn't want to take the antibiotics again so I hunted around for another solution and saw black seed oil recommended so I tried that out and it works and no side effects.
Thanks! So you still take it on a daily basis or only sporadically?

OP
C

Carrum

A teaspoon of it most days. There's probably somebody here that knows how much PUFAs are in it and might warn against it but unless I find a better option I will continue with it as the belly aches I was having before were making me miserable.

Tzheng2012

A small bit of honey is supposed to enhance the effect and if you add mastic gum the combo of the 3 is supposedly very effective for h.pylori. the mastic also helps to lower stomach acid which helps to target the h.pylori, since when stomach acid is high they like to dig into the stomach walls and hide.

Another good one is haritaki. One of the 3 fruits in the aryuvedic formula triphala.

Berberine is also good, but a bit pricey.