Hashimoto's - Supplementing Iodine?

LucH

kajcomp said:
From what I understand in the case of Hashimotos, the thyroid needs to be supplemented sufficiently prior to the supplementation of progesterone.
Did you test your levels:
selenium first before supplementing (yeast => seleniomethionine)
vitamin D3

If adrenal problem, first treat it. Otherwise you will exhaust the body. capacity is too low to recover. It depends how long you're" in the red" / exhausted.
See "adrenal fatigue" (with test saliva). Search for "Adrenal fatigue as an HPA dysfunction"

Afterwards:
iodine if too low. (I know we often hear not to take iodine supplement but this is a controversial subject). See the doc how too proceed, with a suitable dosage. The iodine supplement should be discontinued at the first sign of any adverse effect.

See part 6 for TREATMENT PROTOCOL FOR HASHIMOTO’S THYROIDITIS

Exerpt from:
The Hashimoto’s Autoimmune Thyroid Disease
By Jeffrey Dach MD

LucH :hattip

Note: Read the doc thrice, not twice ;) as it's a bit subtile / difficult to apprehend.

Attachments

• 07. Hashimoto disease p 140.docx
    689.2 KB · Views: 223

Giraffe

Progest-E and Inflamed Thyroid

LucH said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/97060/ iodine if too low. (I know we often hear not to take iodin supplement but this is a controversial subject). See the doc how too proceed, with a suitable dosage. The iodine supplement should be discontinued at the first sign of any adverse effect.
Usually people with Hashimoto's are advised to limit iodine intake to levels far below RDI. Can you reference research that supports the idea of iodine supplement for people with Hashimoto's disease?

PS: I am not going to download the word file to make sure that there is none.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
LucH

LucH

Giraffe said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/97071/ Usually people with Hashimoto's are advised to limit iodine intake to levels far below RDI. Can you reference research that supports the idea of iodine supplement for people with Hashimoto's disease?

PS: I am not going to download the word file to make sure that there is none.

There are 211 references in the doc.
Here is an exerpt:
STARTING SELENIUM FIRST BEFORE IODINE SUPPLEMENTATION!
Many Hashimoto’s patients have normal levels on spot urinary iodine testing. However, for the iodine deficient patient, we would like to devise a protocol to provide iodine supplementation safely without aggravating the inflammatory thyroid disease. This can be done with an initial period of selenium supplementation which protects the thyroid cells from oxidative damage from the hydrogen peroxide used to incorporate Iodine into thyroid hormone.(,184) After two to four weeks of selenium supplementation, it is then safe to start low dose iodine in the range of 225 mcg per day.
For Hashimoto’s patients who test low for Iodine, our protocol starts off with selenium supplementation of 200-400 mcg per day for two to four weeks, after which, low dose Iodine ([highlight=yellow]225 mcg per day[/highlight] ) is started. A number of studies have shown that this dosage of Iodine causes no harm to the Auto-Immune Thyroiditis patient. (153,159,163) Afterwards, it is safe to use higher doses of Iodine according to the protocols of Drs. Brownstein, Flechas and Abraham of the Iodine Project. (173-174)

153) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10488481 Nuklearmedizin. 1999:38(5): 144-9. [Effect of iodine and thyroid hormones in the induction and therapy of Hashimoto’s thyroiditis]. [Article in German] RinkT, Schroth HJ, Holle LH, Garth

159) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9011485 Dtsch Med Wochenschr. 1996 Dec 20; 121(51 -52): 1587-91. [Therapy of endemic goiter with iodide or 1-thyroxine in older patients]. [Article in German] Feldkamp J, SeppelT, Mühlmeycr M, Becker A, Santen R, Schlaghecke R, Horster FA.

163) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10603730 Med Klin (Munich). 1999 Nov 15;94( 11):597-602. [Iodine therapy for iodine deficiency goiter and autoimmune thyroiditis. A prospective study]. [Article in German] Meng W, Schindler A, Spieker K, Krabbe S, Behnke N, Schulze W, Bliimel C. :

173) http://www.ingentaconnect.eom/content/a ... /00000001/ artOOOOo Fléchas, Jorge. “Autoimmune Thyroiditis and Iodine Therapy.” Journal of Restor¬ative Medicine 2.1 (2013): 54-59.

174) http://www.optimox.eom/pics/Iodine/IOD-22/IOD_22.htm#2 Facts about Iodine and Autoimmune Thyroiditis by Guy E. Abraham, MD

NB: Remember to begin with selenium first (antibodies). Then afterwards (delay) you begin slowly, progressively (period). you could also test your iodine level before to see if needed.
You stop momently when adverse effects. The load is then too high.
Caution: Not with a nodule if not supervised => Thyroid storm (hyper-symptoms).

:hattip
LucH

Last edited by a moderator:

Giraffe

LucH, the links to references [173] and [174] did not work (Server not found). The references [159] and [163] did not deal with patients suffering from Hashimoto's. Regarding reference [153] it would be interesting to read the full text. The abstract contains too few information.

OP
LucH

LucH

159 & 163 deals with goiter and iodine. Goiter could be hypo and autoimmune....

OP
LucH

LucH

Exerpt
IODINE INTAKE INHIBITS H202 GENERATION- WOLF CHAIKOFF EFFECT
The ability of iodine to suppress thyroid function, as discussed above, is called the “Wolff-Chaikoff” effect. This is the inhibition of hydrogen peroxide (H202) generation by iodine itself resulting in reduced production of thyroid hormone. The intake of dietary Iodine, itself, will limit the oxidation and binding of iodide to thyroglobulin because of the reduced availability of hydrogen peroxide at the apical membrane. (57) The WolfF-Chaikoff effect is the inhibition by iodide of its own organification. (57) [highlight=yellow]Since the organification of iodine is already reduced in Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, these patients are more sensitive to the inhibitory effect of iodine intake[/highlight]on thyroid hormone production. This explains the various studies which misinterpret the inhibitory effect of Iodine intake as a “worsening” of Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. This is a common mistake in the medical literature.

Travis

@LucH
What a concise gem of a paragraph. That is brilliant and explains much in just a few sentences. I don't think that it could be explained any better than that.

A+ for composition.

BibleBeliever

His recommendation is 150mcg a day.
What could increase one's need for iodine? High selenium intake? Eating foods with nitrates, goitrogens? Does supplementing thyroid increase one's need for iodine? Having high exposure to fluoride?

Or would having selenium and thyroid with iodine say via iodized salt help counter any negatives?

I notice since taking thyroid hormone that having a few grams of iodized salt here and there deepens the voice, increases energy and greatly increases bowel transit time.

Can any conditions inhibit the proper absorption of iodine and/or increase one's need for it? Cancer? Candida? Heavy metals?

Horse Fighter

I have normal t3,t4 and tsh, but i discover hashimoto recently, it explains my life, i'm gluten and dairy free since last year before knowing about my hashimoto's, i'm supplementing selenium for 2 weeks, going to start lugols and give feedback about this approach. My curret TPO is 289. I have low temps, cold hands and feets, hair loss in male pattern way. I'm going to use my temps as parameter.

mgrabs

I have normal t3,t4 and tsh, but i discover hashimoto recently, it explains my life, i'm gluten and dairy free since last year before knowing about my hashimoto's, i'm supplementing selenium for 2 weeks, going to start lugols and give feedback about this approach. My curret TPO is 289. I have low temps, cold hands and feets, hair loss in male pattern way. I'm going to use my temps as parameter.
How was Lugols?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals