Has This Study About Gelatin And Hair Been Posted Before ?

schultz

I've never seen it. Difficult study to find (so far). From what I can tell, I think the findings in that paper are that gelatin increases the thickness of the hair, like the diameter of each hair. I base this on what other studies citing this study said. I'll try to find the full paper though.

This site claims that the study says "Scala et al. (10) investigated the effects of collagen ingestion on growth and thickness of hair. They found that the thickness of hair increased significantly after collagen ingestion for 62 days, and more pulling force was required to break the thickened hair. The increase in hair thickness was more evident in women than in men, possibly because the initial thickness was smaller in women. Hair thickness returned to initial size when collagen ingestion stopped."

Right after this citation there is another, possibly more interesting citation of another paper (which I can also not find...)

Morganti P, Randazzo S, Bruno C: Oral treatment of skin dryness. Cosmet Toilet. 103 (1988) 77-80

"A study by the Department of Pharmacology at the University of Milan, Italy, showed that the activity of hair follicles was – directly or indirectly – increased by the consumption of collagen. Results taken from patients after a three-month treatment showed an increase in hair diameter of up to 49% in some cases, with an average increase of 35% (11)."

It would be nice to actually read the papers.

Last edited: