Has Ray turned vegan? How is he doing?

YourUniverse

Ray has also always talked about the benefits of a clean intestine, fast transit time and good thyroid function (via temperature and pulse, and most recently also "feel"). Altogether these last posts, as well as many other neglected points, hint towards eating certain foods or in certain ways but this would be our individual biases and have nothing to do with Ray's diet prescription.
Anywho,

conrad0602

Sadly when my life settled down I started over analyzing again. I learned a lot from the experience though and I’ve done much better paying more attention to what feels best for me as an individual.
Good for you. We can all learn something from what you experienced letting go a bit and being intuitive. Thanks for sharing ?

OP
F

FrankMa

I agree and share your frustration. My grandfather lived to 98 in relatively good health, thick head of dark hair, spent his life as a hard man working on cranes, smoking tobacco, eating meat veg and potatoes, probably plenty of bread, boiled sweats, drinking tea and dark ales.

But he may have lived his life as tired and irritable and unable to get it up in bed? Who knows? He lived to 98 but so what? What are 98 miserable years?

I suppose what we're striving for, or I am anyway, is what will make me the best version of me RIGHT NOW. I want to feel smart and confident and energetic and look vibrant and have a great physique. Isn't that why we're all here? So what does it matter that Ray at 86 has started eating cauliflower and turnips? Doesn't mean that his previous recommendations don't hold for younger more active people. I don't know.

And yes, it feels like there are so many people who thrive with so many different lifestyles that it makes you wonder whether we shouldn't just try not to worry too much. What if your peak condition isn't much further beyond what you are now? What if we can't do much to reverse the damage already done to us in the womb and growing up?

Things to ponder.
Very goog thaughts.
Thanks for sharing.

OP
F

FrankMa

And just paying close attention to how we feel eating various ways I suppose. I think having a meaningful life/purpose is really important.
I had an interesting experience in 2017. I basically stopped paying attention to eating peaty or any particular way out of necessity and it was really good for me. I lost about 30 needed pounds that year just eating whatever was available when I was hungry. The only dietary rule I followed was gluten free because of my celiac disease. I was really busy with a major family crisis and moving so I didn’t have time to concern myself with anything like macros, sugar v starch, calcium to phosphorus ratio etc. and my health improved quite a bit.
That`s quite an interesting observation.
Maybe movement, being busy, being active is way more important than nutrition.

OP
F

FrankMa

Ray has never prescribed a diet.
Ray has always spoken about the protective, stabilizing effect of CO2 (from sugar and bicarbonate salts). Ray has always spoken about the benefits of a positive calcium:phosphorus ratio. Ray has always spoken about the dangers of iron as well as tryptophan and other inflammatory aminos (hence gelatin). Ray has always spoken about the dangers of PUFA.
Ray probably very recently became aware that his words are being transcribed as gospel and is letting his "followers" know that a wide array of foods are "allowed" to be eaten, especially in the case of an economic crisis.
As usual, think perceive act
You are totally right in that Ray has never described certain foods
but he always spoke about the dangers of irritatiing ones intestines, how powerful plant toxins are.
Yes, his guidelines may still apply but nevertheless his diet is now quite different.
As I stated before in this thread I won`t change my diet just because he does but I try to understand
why he is doing so.

OP
F

FrankMa

Ray has also always talked about the benefits of a clean intestine, fast transit time and good thyroid function (via temperature and pulse, and most recently also "feel"). Altogether these last posts, as well as many other neglected points, hint towards eating certain foods or in certain ways but this would be our individual biases and have nothing to do with Ray's diet prescription.
Anywho,
I agree in that a clean intestine is very important and that he has said that many times.
Exactly because of this I am surprised that he now eats vegetables which are anti-thyroid like broccoli
and potentially irritating to the intestines.

SamYo123

Anywho,
thyroid, temp and pulse literally have no effect on transit time.

thats dependant on fiber. For me

Dr. B

I would say more protein makes sense but Ray must have his reasons for limiting it.
The average lifespan of the Massai is 44 or so.....
is that modern times? they introduced grains, corn etc so they lost their abilities and health. supposedly they used to be able to see things a mile away clearly.

peateats1

And just paying close attention to how we feel eating various ways I suppose. I think having a meaningful life/purpose is really important.
I had an interesting experience in 2017. I basically stopped paying attention to eating peaty or any particular way out of necessity and it was really good for me. I lost about 30 needed pounds that year just eating whatever was available when I was hungry. The only dietary rule I followed was gluten free because of my celiac disease. I was really busy with a major family crisis and moving so I didn’t have time to concern myself with anything like macros, sugar v starch, calcium to phosphorus ratio etc. and my health improved quite a bit.
That's awesome! I need to try this approach because I get way too wrapped up in all this diet stuff and what foods are safe etc. I've also overdone supplements and coffee with disasterous effects. At times I wish I had never found Peat's work honestly. All this time I've been trying his pro metabolic way of eating and I have screwed up my body so bad.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
That`s quite an interesting observation.
Maybe movement, being busy, being active is way more important than nutrition.
I do think increasing my activity, focusing more on taking care of my family and just eating when I noticed I was hungry made a big difference. I also quit supplements for the most part. It sort of reminds me of the thread about homeless people having great hair in some ways. We moved from the city to the county and lived in an RV for about 5 months while we worked on getting our current home in livable condition. We were surrounded by nature and worked really hard toward a goal/dream. We didn’t have a real kitchen for several months so we ate a lot of easy/convenience foods.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
That's awesome! I need to try this approach because I get way too wrapped up in all this diet stuff and what foods are safe etc. I've also overdone supplements and coffee with disasterous effects. At times I wish I had never found Peat's work honestly. All this time I've been trying his pro metabolic way of eating and I have screwed up my body so bad.
I understand. I was able to correct all the issues I developed from misinterpreting his work over time. I think a lot of us come here thinking it will be pretty easy and straight forward to fix our issues. Perhaps it is for some people but for the rest of us I think it’s really important to consider our own unique situation, stop what isn’t working and reevaluate.

Ritchie

"The optimum protein to carbohydrate ratio for lifespan across the different species is consistently ∼1:10 or less with ∼10% or a little less of total calories coming from protein."
Low-protein High-carb Diet induces thermogenesis in subcutaneous white adipose tissue.
Low-protein High-carb Diet increases adiponectin hormone and preserves glucose homeostasis.
Low-protein High-carb Diet accelerates wound healing post-acute injury.
Low-protein High-carb Diet protects against clostridium difficile infection.
Low-protein High-carb Diet protects against weight gain and improves glucose tolerance.
Low-protein High-carb Diet increases browning in perirenal adipose tissue.
Interesting relative cluster of research

Ritchie

It can mount up in legumes too. Am I right in thinking you see non-heme iron as less of an issue than the heme iron in meat?
From what I understand heme iron is far more potent and concentrated, and more easily assimilated and absorbed than non-heme iron. But I’m not an expert.. are you saying they are the same? Would be interested if you have any studies analysing it..
Regardless, I’m not eating many legumes atm

OP
F

FrankMa

Interesting relative cluster of research
Thanks for sharing but with all respects:
The authors of this article claim that calorie restriction is the major nutritional intervention that historically has been shown to influence lifespan. Background of this is the rate of living theory which decreases metabolic rate. So I tend to not to trust results in regards to protein intake which has been published by authors with such a background.
Besides that, the original Okinawa diet which led to longevity was heavily based on pork.
Only because of food shortages after WW II, the low PUFA Okinawa pork was not available - if I remeber correctly because of some interventions of the US - the Okinawans turned heavily to tubers.

That being said I am all in for a high carb diet, prefereably sugars over starches because of endotoxin issues and the fact that starches are more fattening than sugars. - I am currently in Geogia, the state in Eastern Europa, their nurtrition is heavily based on starches ( meet as well to be true ); all the young people are very slim, very fit looking, but people at around 35+ or so all carry lots of visible body fat with them; sure could be because of meet or many other factors but I remember Ray saying that while he was traveling Eastern Europe he noticed that people in heavy starch eater countrys are more fat.

Back to topic:
Eating 10:1 carbs to protein one would bascially arrive at the 80:10:10 diet which is 80% carbs from fruit, 10% protein and 10% fat.
More or less. I admit that my point of view ist just a little fraction of reality but before some years I watched some videos of 80:10:10 advocates; they all were very slim in a negative way; they just looked fragile.
Maybe the pendulum swings from extrem high carb diets to extrem high fat diets: Frutarien / Starch solution guys vs. Keto.
Both diets often fail.

"Nutrition has profound effects on ageing and lifespan. Caloric restriction is the major nutritional intervention that historically has been shown to influence lifespan and/or healthspan in many animal models. Studies have suggested that a reduction in protein intake can also increase lifespan, albeit not as dramatically as caloric restriction. More recent research based on nutritional geometry has attempted to define the effects of nutrition on ageing over a broad landscape of dietary macronutrients and energy content. Such studies in insects and mice indicate that animals with ad libitum access to low-protein, high-carbohydrate diets have longest lifespans. Remarkably, the optimum content and ratio of dietary protein to carbohydrates for ageing in experimental animals are almost identical to those in the traditional diets of the long-lived people on the island of Okinawa."

-Luke-

Next thing we learn is that Ray was fasting regularly :p:
I think he should make some fun of all the "Ray Peat diet apologists" on the next Podcast. "I start the day with my bulletproof coffee but otherwise fast until 4 pm. Then I drink a smoothie made with oat milk, chia seeds, flax seeds, raw broccoli and kale. For dinner I eat salmon with a huge portion of salad." Would love to see Danny's and Georgi's faces and the reactions here on the RPF.

Just to chime in about Ray's diet - have we considered the economic reasons? It sounds pretty cheap and I can't imagine he's raking in enough to eat all the high quality meat he would like to, especially now he's back in the States. Low quality produce probably just isn't worth the negatives it brings.
I asked this question in a more recent podcast with Patrick Timpone and Peat laughed about it. So maybe he thought the question was silly. Or he thinks the state of the world is silly and just laughs about it.

Last edited:

Sunny Jack

I fear a thread entitled "Ray Peat Updated 2022 Guidelines" would be classified with the "Anti-Peat" prefix.

-Luke-

I fear a thread entitled "Ray Peat Updated 2022 Guidelines" would be classified with the "Anti-Peat" prefix.
I'm looking forward to the podcast when someone asks him "Do you even Peat, bro?"

Sunny Jack

I'm looking forward to the podcast when someone asks him "Do you even Peat, bro?"

"Do you even Peat, Ray?" :sweatsmile:

Old Westside would be turning in his grave with triumph if he could see the volte-face Dr. Raymond has achieved.

But I think Haidut has described Peat's philosophy as "radical open-mindedness", and I do appreciate Ray's fresh perspective on matters nutritional and political.
The more recent the better, in my opinion.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals