Has Ray turned vegan? How is he doing?

Sefton10

iron has all sorts of negative effects on thyroid, metabolism and general health (which is obviously highest in animal products)
It can mount up in legumes too. Am I right in thinking you see non-heme iron as less of an issue than the heme iron in meat?

TheCalciumCad

Just to chime in about Ray's diet - have we considered the economic reasons? It sounds pretty cheap and I can't imagine he's raking in enough to eat all the high quality meat he would like to, especially now he's back in the States. Low quality produce probably just isn't worth the negatives it brings.

Also, on a more philosophical note, Ray has said a couple of things recently that I feel people have a hard time accepting. Like when he said people wanting to lose weight should probably stop eating for a while. I get it, it's hard to hear after following his ideas so dogmatically and investing so much into the lifestyle, but I think it's important to remember that Ray isn't the oracle. He's changed his mind plenty throughout his life and he's likely to again. He's still learning, and so are we.

OP
F

FrankMa

I wonder if Roddy will start making any changes then... he'd lick a camels ballsack if Ray said it was pro-metabolic.

I doubt serotonin is that black and white, i've never taken any anti-serotonin lab chemicals but judging by most peoples reactions on here its not that simple.

View: https://twitter.com/ck_eternity_/status/1470977967308382210

View: https://twitter.com/ck_eternity_/status/1470977971167154185

I haven`t taken any suppelments ever besides, Vit. D, K2 and Magnesium.
I was always thinking that it is very hard to know what effects such drugs have on ones metabolism; it`s playing with fire.
A friend of mine takes whatever his Guru is suggesting, from different neurotransmitters to ice baths;
he is doing way more harm to him than good.

Interesting Twitter thread. Thanks

OP
F

FrankMa

I wonder if Roddy will start making any changes then... he'd lick a camels ballsack if Ray said it was pro-metabolic.

I doubt serotonin is that black and white, i've never taken any anti-serotonin lab chemicals but judging by most peoples reactions on here its not that simple.

View: https://twitter.com/ck_eternity_/status/1470977967308382210

View: https://twitter.com/ck_eternity_/status/1470977971167154185

"I wonder if Roddy will start making any changes then... he'd lick a camels ballsack if Ray said it was pro-metabolic"
Haha; I like your french

OP
F

FrankMa

Just to chime in about Ray's diet - have we considered the economic reasons? It sounds pretty cheap and I can't imagine he's raking in enough to eat all the high quality meat he would like to, especially now he's back in the States. Low quality produce probably just isn't worth the negatives it brings.

Also, on a more philosophical note, Ray has said a couple of things recently that I feel people have a hard time accepting. Like when he said people wanting to lose weight should probably stop eating for a while. I get it, it's hard to hear after following his ideas so dogmatically and investing so much into the lifestyle, but I think it's important to remember that Ray isn't the oracle. He's changed his mind plenty throughout his life and he's likely to again. He's still learning, and so are we.
Good point.
Economic reasons defintely play a role.
I didn`t know that he is back in the states. Why is that?

I appreciate that he is still learning but what`s the point then with all the studies, podcasts, etc.
In my 20`s I got to know an old man; if I remember correctly he was 96.
I was working in an electronic market and he was asking me some questions about a mobile phone.
Long story short, we became friends, I helped him from time to time with little things,
visited him from time to time in his home in the forest, we drank Pernot, a french liquor.
He was quite fit, very clear minded, he gave a **** about what he was eating.
I admit, that it is not representative but I got to know some more very old people within my life time,
all had a hard life, WW II, economic crises, and way more, all of them were eating what was available,
none of them engaged in "scientific" research about nutrition like myself....

If Ray has turned his nutrition approach around that much; in my opinion it is very different than before, even if he follows
similar principles, than I more and more doubt that there is anything to conclude at all.
Maybe it`s better to forget about all the research and spend our limited life span on just having fun.

Good point.
Economic reasons defintely play a role.
I didn`t know that he is back in the states. Why is that?

I appreciate that he is still learning but what`s the point then with all the studies, podcasts, etc.
In my 20`s I got to know an old man; if I remember correctly he was 96.
I was working in an electronic market and he was asking me some questions about a mobile phone.
Long story short, we became friends, I helped him from time to time with little things,
visited him from time to time in his home in the forest, we drank Pernot, a french liquor.
He was quite fit, very clear minded, he gave a **** about what he was eating.
I admit, that it is not representative but I got to know some more very old people within my life time,
all had a hard life, WW II, economic crises, and way more, all of them were eating what was available,
none of them engaged in "scientific" research about nutrition like myself....

If Ray has turned his nutrition approach around that much; in my opinion it is very different than before, even if he follows
similar principles, than I more and more doubt that there is anything to conclude at all.
Maybe it`s better to forget about all the research and spend our limited life span on just having fun.
I agree and share your frustration. My grandfather lived to 98 in relatively good health, thick head of dark hair, spent his life as a hard man working on cranes, smoking tobacco, eating meat veg and potatoes, probably plenty of bread, boiled sweats, drinking tea and dark ales.

But he may have lived his life as tired and irritable and unable to get it up in bed? Who knows? He lived to 98 but so what? What are 98 miserable years?

I suppose what we're striving for, or I am anyway, is what will make me the best version of me RIGHT NOW. I want to feel smart and confident and energetic and look vibrant and have a great physique. Isn't that why we're all here? So what does it matter that Ray at 86 has started eating cauliflower and turnips? Doesn't mean that his previous recommendations don't hold for younger more active people. I don't know.

And yes, it feels like there are so many people who thrive with so many different lifestyles that it makes you wonder whether we shouldn't just try not to worry too much. What if your peak condition isn't much further beyond what you are now? What if we can't do much to reverse the damage already done to us in the womb and growing up?

Things to ponder.

Inabruzzo

Forum Supporter
He ate eating chicken liver with bacon the day before the interview.

InChristAlone

Blossom

Forum Supporter
And just paying close attention to how we feel eating various ways I suppose. I think having a meaningful life/purpose is really important.
I had an interesting experience in 2017. I basically stopped paying attention to eating peaty or any particular way out of necessity and it was really good for me. I lost about 30 needed pounds that year just eating whatever was available when I was hungry. The only dietary rule I followed was gluten free because of my celiac disease. I was really busy with a major family crisis and moving so I didn’t have time to concern myself with anything like macros, sugar v starch, calcium to phosphorus ratio etc. and my health improved quite a bit.

conrad0602

And just paying close attention to how we feel eating various ways I suppose. I think having a meaningful life/purpose is really important.
I had an interesting experience in 2017. I basically stopped paying attention to eating peaty or any particular way out of necessity and it was really good for me. I lost about 30 needed pounds that year just eating whatever was available when I was hungry. The only dietary rule I followed was gluten free because of my celiac disease. I was really busy with a major family crisis and moving so I didn’t have time to concern myself with anything like macros, sugar v starch, calcium to phosphorus ratio etc. and my health improved quite a bit.
Over thinking/analyzing can be really detrimental. Have you continued with this approach as it worked well for you?

YourUniverse

Ray has never prescribed a diet.
Ray has always spoken about the protective, stabilizing effect of CO2 (from sugar and bicarbonate salts). Ray has always spoken about the benefits of a positive calcium:phosphorus ratio. Ray has always spoken about the dangers of iron as well as tryptophan and other inflammatory aminos (hence gelatin). Ray has always spoken about the dangers of PUFA.
Ray probably very recently became aware that his words are being transcribed as gospel and is letting his "followers" know that a wide array of foods are "allowed" to be eaten, especially in the case of an economic crisis.
As usual, think perceive act

YourUniverse

Ray has never prescribed a diet.
Ray has always spoken about the protective, stabilizing effect of CO2 (from sugar and bicarbonate salts). Ray has always spoken about the benefits of a positive calcium:phosphorus ratio. Ray has always spoken about the dangers of iron as well as tryptophan and other inflammatory aminos (hence gelatin). Ray has always spoken about the dangers of PUFA.
Ray probably very recently became aware that his words are being transcribed as gospel and is letting his "followers" know that a wide array of foods are "allowed" to be eaten, especially in the case of an economic crisis.
As usual, think perceive act
I'll add another one - Ray has been aware of the regenerative effects of sugar for a long time, as well.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Over thinking/analyzing can be really detrimental. Have you continued with this approach as it worked well for you?
Sadly when my life settled down I started over analyzing again. I learned a lot from the experience though and I’ve done much better paying more attention to what feels best for me as an individual.