Has Peat discussed lead toxicity?

freyasam

I found this website run by a woman who uses a precise instrument (XRF analyzer) to test common kitchen and other household items. The results are surprising, because a lot of mugs, dishes, etc. show unsafe levels of lead.

Especially vintage ceramics and tinted glass pieces have high amounts of lead -- which is a concern for me since I use a lot of this in my kitchen.

But even modern coffee cups and other items show high levels of lead. The paint on Pyrex glass measuring cups to indicate the measurements has lead! I microwave water in these.

I can't find much mention of lead in our homes or lead toxicity by Peat. Can anyone direct me to an interview / article where he's discussed this? Anyone here have opinions on it?

I'm most interested in how serious it is to have items XRF testing shows to have high amounts of lead. Do I need to replace all my vintage kitchen pieces?? And any info on lead poisoning and detox would be most appreciated. I've struggled with bad health issues for 12 years now (severe fatigue: ME/CFS, pain, overweight, and more).

I found this website run by a woman who uses a precise instrument (XRF analyzer) to test common kitchen and other household items. The results are surprising, because a lot of mugs, dishes, etc. show unsafe levels of lead.

Especially vintage ceramics and tinted glass pieces have high amounts of lead -- which is a concern for me since I use a lot of this in my kitchen.

But even modern coffee cups and other items show high levels of lead. The paint on Pyrex glass measuring cups to indicate the measurements has lead! I microwave water in these.

I can't find much mention of lead in our homes or lead toxicity by Peat. Can anyone direct me to an interview / article where he's discussed this? Anyone here have opinions on it?

I'm most interested in how serious it is to have items XRF testing shows to have high amounts of lead. Do I need to replace all my vintage kitchen pieces?? And any info on lead poisoning and detox would be most appreciated. I've struggled with bad health issues for 12 years now (severe fatigue: ME/CFS, pain, overweight, and more).

Boy freyasam you opened pandora's box on that one! You have more than just lead to worry about! I am preparing a post on my experiences with heavy metals. My arm falls DEAD asleep at night when I am exposed to heavy metals. I have done a lot of reading over last 5+ years on the subject because of my arm. The first thing I got rid of were all of my pots and pans. Yes painted ceramics have lead, especially from China and certain colors are worse than others, with black, red and bright colors being the worst. Lead pipes in tap water is problematic too so we bought a gravity filter to remove them AND flouride. I read recently Ray Peat saying that the method of making coffee through a filter removes cadmium and other metals. I would say that, though I have nerve issues with my arm and sometimes legs from heavy metals, removing flouride from your routine via water and toothpaste will have your health seeing an upturn quicker.

OP
F

freyasam

Boy freyasam you opened pandora's box on that one! You have more than just lead to worry about! I am preparing a post on my experiences with heavy metals. My arm falls DEAD asleep at night when I am exposed to heavy metals. I have done a lot of reading over last 5+ years on the subject because of my arm. The first thing I got rid of were all of my pots and pans. Yes painted ceramics have lead, especially from China and certain colors are worse than others, with black, red and bright colors being the worst. Lead pipes in tap water is problematic too so we bought a gravity filter to remove them AND flouride. I read recently Ray Peat saying that the method of making coffee through a filter removes cadmium and other metals. I would say that, though I have nerve issues with my arm and sometimes legs from heavy metals, removing flouride from your routine via water and toothpaste will have your health seeing an upturn quicker.
I'll look forward to your post, Rinse. I am concerned with other heavy metals and I'm wondering if I'll have to replace all my pots and pans, too. :( I thought I'd make a separate post about that, lol.

What kind of gravity filter for water do you use? I use reverse osmosis water that I fill in 5 gallon jugs and store in a ceramic water dispenser. I made a post about that yesterday because I don't know if I can trust the "lead free" claim by the seller. So I'm hopefully not getting fluoride in my water, but who knows about lead in the ceramic crock I put it in.

We
I'll look forward to your post, Rinse. I am concerned with other heavy metals and I'm wondering if I'll have to replace all my pots and pans, too. :( I thought I'd make a separate post about that, lol.

What kind of gravity filter for water do you use? I use reverse osmosis water that I fill in 5 gallon jugs and store in a ceramic water dispenser. I made a post about that yesterday because I don't know if I can trust the "lead free" claim by the seller. So I'm hopefully not getting fluoride in my water, but who knows about lead in the ceramic crock I put it in.
Because I have terrible reactions to flouride we investigated many different options, including reverse osmosis, which does remove flouride. I wasn't happy that it took out ALL of the good minerals out, especially the calcium and magnesium, and I didn't want to have to add them back, so we went with the Propur Gravity Filter. My son saw a YouTube video where you can pour in a cook and it will come out clear and tasteless. I haven't tried it myself, but it really makes good tasting water. Did you ditch the toothpaste?

Do your post on heavy metals, there is a lot on that subject to cover, and where to begin! My post will be more from my personal experience.

No, I'm trying Dr. Ellie's method because I have so many cavities and nothing else has helped. Ugh, sometimes it feels like you can't win.
From my personal experience grains and beans caused me the most teeth issues, from sensitivities, transparency and even my first cavity in 30 years. You gotta eat (not suppliment) a whole lot of calcium to balance their anti-nutrients (and phosphorus) for even one portion a day, much less the food pyramid suggestion of many portions a day! Vitamin D & K1 was imperative to get my transparency back to solid white. I wish I would have documented that. My family WATCHED the white fill up slowly from the roots until the ends! Fascinating stuff! I was inspired by the pioneer dentist Weston A. Price and his before and after photos.

OP
F

freyasam

From my personal experience grains and beans caused me the most teeth issues, from sensitivities, transparency and even my first cavity in 30 years. You gotta eat (not suppliment) a whole lot of calcium to balance their anti-nutrients (and phosphorus) for even one portion a day, much less the food pyramid suggestion of many portions a day! Vitamin D & K1 was imperative to get my transparency back to solid white. I wish I would have documented that. My family WATCHED the white fill up slowly from the roots until the ends! Fascinating stuff! I was inspired by the pioneer dentist Weston A. Price and his before and after photos.
I'm still working on a way to increase my calcium as I can't tolerate much milk. The powdered eggshells are very time-consuming but the oyster shell calcium tested high on lead! And really, Peat doesn't seem to think calcium supplements are ideal. Edit - oh I see you say you must eat the calcium, haha. Wish dairy wasn't so hard to digest for some of us!

I'm still working on a way to increase my calcium as I can't tolerate much milk. The powdered eggshells are very time-consuming but the oyster shell calcium tested high on lead! And really, Peat doesn't seem to think calcium supplements are ideal. Edit - oh I see you say you must eat the calcium, haha. Wish dairy wasn't so hard to digest for some of us!
Yeah when I tried supplementing with calcium I only ended up with stones on my gall bladder, kidney and pancreas twice! Be careful about that.

Missenger

"Granulated carbon filters" do sound like a better alternative to aluminum in Berkey filters.

OP
F

freyasam

I have considered that filter, but the 304 stainless steel is 8% nickel and Peat has said it should ideally be below 2%. And I have read those types of filters don't really remove all the fluoride.

But at some point you have to pick your battles and do the best you can, I guess.

Last edited:
I have considered that filter, but the 304 stainless steel is 8% nickel and Peat has said it should ideally be below 2%. And I have read those types of filters don't really remove all the fluoride.

But at some point you have to pick your battles and do the best you can, I guess.
I am allergic to flouride and this arm rash would flare up everytime I was exposed to it. When I bought my Propur it cleared up in couple of days never to return. So it is clearing out the flouride more than what everybody else is drinking.

Attachments

• 20190317_123834.jpg
    20190317_123834.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 13
OP
F

freyasam

I am allergic to flouride and this arm rash would flare up everytime I was exposed to it. When I bought my Propur it cleared up in couple of days never to return. So it is clearing out the flouride more than what everybody else is drinking.
Wow! OK that's a good testimonial.

Do you cook with stainless steel? Have problems with nickel? I know tomatoes, at least, shouldn't be cooked in stainless. I need to get Visions glass cookware.

Wow! OK that's a good testimonial.

Do you cook with stainless steel? Have problems with nickel? I know tomatoes, at least, shouldn't be cooked in stainless. I need to get Visions glass cookware.
Don't get the Vision cookware. I bought a pot and gave it away within a couple of uses. Everything sticks to it horribly. Le Creuot is good for acidic things. I did a lot of research and invested a lot, a little at a time, on each piece of magnetic steel. The problem with buying magnetic steel online is that they don't give you very much "magnetic" material, and you wont know that unless you test it yourself. They usually only put it on the bottom. It needs to be be on the sides too. So what you need to do is get a magnet and take it to the store and test the sides too. I took my magnet to Bed Bath & Beyond, where they have a large selection of cookware and I only found two that qualified.

Nomane Euger

are you refering to the berkey one?