Has Matt Stone Done Another 180?

A recent article by charming Southern boy Matt Stone. Is he now conceding that cheeseburgers, ice cream, pizza, cookies, cake, and deep-fried carbohydrates like french fries, foods that he once recommended to "restore" the metabolic rate actually cause disease?

From March 8th, 2016:

"Carbohydrates have gotten a bad rap because of various health fads over the last few decades that pin the blame for all of our modern health woes (obesity, diabetes, heart disease, cancer) on the hormone insulin.

Carbohydrates raise blood sugar, which triggers a rise in insulin. Therefore, claim the tater haters, it is sinister.

This scenario sounds perfectly logical, but it's a distant cry from the truth.

Turns out that protein stimulates insulin just as much as carbohydrate, and that postprandial spikes in insulin caused by these foods are normal, natural, and healthy--not a precursor to disease.

It also turns out that eating a lot of carbohydrates keeps you insulin sensitive, which keeps your baseline insulin levels low, not high.

Most telling is that the consumption of carbohydrates is inversely associated with all of the conditions that it supposedly causes via stimulating insulin secretion.

This seems like common sense knowing that the billions of lean people living in Africa, Asia, and South America--as well as all of our lean primate cousins--eat a much higher ratio of carbohydrates to fat than in North America, Europe, and Australia where obesity flourishes (and carbohydrates like rice, beans, potatoes, corn, and fruit are displaced by cheeseburgers, ice cream, pizza, cookies, cake, and deep-fried carbohydrates like french fries).

When should you eat them? It doesn't matter. The most important times to eat them are upon waking and after exercise when stress hormones are elevated, but there shouldn't be any fear of eating them at a certain time of day vs. another.

How much carbohydrate should you eat? I answer that question HERE.

Short answer... A LOT."

https://www.quora.com/Are-carbs-good-for-you-If-so-when-should-I-eat-them

Inb4 the typical anti-health nut, who will roll their eyes. I occasionally eat those foods. But I strive to be objective about the human condition.

OP
Westside PUFAs
Old:
mso.jpg

Well I think a 180 would be like "cheeseburgers are toxic"...

Lol why is it called 180 degree health by the way?

keith

I think he had an evolving approach all along. His initial idea was to raise the metabolism as much as possible through calorie dense foods, and I seem to recall him saying a few yearss ago, that despite his recommendation of cheeseburgers, ice cream, and pizza for diet recovery, that he didn't think it was an ideal long term strategy. In at least one of his books, his general recommendation was mainly a starch based diet with enough fat to make it palatable, and lots of salt, etc, but conceded it might not work for all, and suggested figuring what makes you hot, and sticking with that. His ideas have certainly evolved some, but I don't think his main "eat for heat" strategy really has.

I can see why it looks that way, since he tends to try to get attention by making somewhat outrageous claims (like eat cheeseburgers and pizza for health), but I think if you look at his ideas in detail, they are mostly consistent, with an openmindedness for new ideas. He spoke very highly of DrMcdougal at one point, which is probably relatively close to your ideas (heavy on starch, very low fat), although he also promotes some nuts, and is strictly vegan, which I think is different from what you do, although not 100% sure of your diet. I think Matt has generally promoted lots of starch and minimizing (but eating enough to make the starch palatable) fat. I don't think this is particularly new for him.

mt_dreams

Well I think a 180 would be like "cheeseburgers are toxic"...

Lol why is it called 180 degree health by the way?

it's the equivalent of being flipped over, turned on one's head, or turned around (having a new perspective) ... or any other analogy that goes with the 180 term.

it's the equivalent of being flipped over, turned on one's head, or turned around (having a new perspective) ... or any other analogy that goes with the 180 term.

Oooh I see.

lindsay

Matt Stone was a carb promoter all along. He just also promoted Saturated fats. But carbs have always been a huge part of his thing.

T

tca300

I had a consultation with him in 2012. He told me to eat pizza, cheeseburgers etc.. I asked him about the PUFA dangers, and his reply was, " it won't do any harm until your like 75, so don't worry about it " he also likes to make fun of Ray, like a little child bully. I have zero respect for Matt Stone.

Matt Stone saved me from veganism and all sorts of unhealthy "health" craziness. I'm really grateful for that.
And i'm pretty sure i found Ray through Matt.

InChristAlone

I've read most of his books, and he is one of the reasons for really turning me on to Ray Peat, but he is not someone I'd look up to for nutrition advice. A lot of his advice for recovering metabolism seems to be taken from youreatopia anyway. He just banked on it by his unique writing style and way of speaking to those with orthorexia. But yeah I think he is very pro starches. Recovering from starvation requires loads of ultra processed foods, cheeseburgers are great for recovering from eating disorders. Fatty foods are a tool for recovery. Once the body is energy balanced moving away from ultra processed might be better for longevity, but the chance of relapse when doing 'diets' might be high, I prefer eating intuitively once I am certain I'm not overriding hunger cues or forcing something down just because it's 'healthy'.

Yah, I have to give Matt Stone some credit too. He sent out an email a couple months ago about the importance of replacing water with juice or any other caloric beverage. What he said made sense...something about not making the body have to work harder to do its job. Besides adding sugar/carbs back to my diet, replacing water with juice/milk/soda has been very helpful in my recovery. I imagine Ray Peat talks about this too...been meaning to look it up. Now when I even have a few sips of water I start to get that ol' familiar horrible feeling back. So now instead of a water bottle, I carry a juice bottle, and I love it! :dance

I'm also really glad to see how he's growing in knowledge about nutrition. These are some pretty big leaps! Good for him...good for for us all.

Last edited:

Peater Piper

I've never read any of his books, but have read quite a few of his blog posts. You can see him going from a pro-starch, whole food stance early on to a more pro-sugar, refined food stance more recently (and making up for the lack of micronutrients with dairy and molasses). There's probably better people to follow for nutritional advice, but he seems to do a good job getting people to move away from extreme, orthorexic diets.

XPlus

Recovering from starvation requires loads of ultra processed foods, cheeseburgers are great for recovering from eating disorders. Fatty foods are a tool for recovery.
Fatty foods can really help with recovery. I'd rather have a lot of full fat milk and ice cream. This isn't to say that homemade burgers and pizza are a bad idea.

Parsifal

The only interesting thing I've read in his work is the stuff regarding water and salt. Other things never worked for me.

mt_dreams

I thought it was called 180 Degree Health because when you read it you turn 180 degrees and head to the nearest Five Guys :cool

I didn't read his stuff on burger & pizza binging. i did do a 180 beeline to the nearest store to pick up a half litre of molasses to cram into my gallon jug of milk though.

dfspcc20

Maybe he could be the Tony Hawk of the nutrition world and aim for "900 Degree Health".