Has Anyone Tried Sodium Acetate ? (for SIBO?)

Makrosky

Hi guys,

I don't know how I ended up in a blog called "F*ck portion control". It turns out it's the blog of a forum user called Nathan. I think it's him because of his excitement about taurine. I remember him posting it on this forum a couple of years ago or so. I'm glad he's alive and better than ever.

Anyway I read his post about SIBO and sodium acetate and immediately caugh my eye. He uses a combination of baking soda (1tsp) with white vinegar to create sodium acetate. I think he overcomplicated the thing because after all the good'ol Ray's carrot salad should be a much more powerful remedy. It has sodium acetate as well, plus the coconut oil and the carrot. So it sounds like he overcomplicated the thing.

Anyway I decided to give it a try. So I mixed 1 tsp of baking soda with white vinegar until it stopped forming the "volcano reaction". You have to divide this concoction in 3-4 doses. I divided it in 3 doses and drank the first one. Half an hour later I experienced what seemed like a metaboolic boost. Heat all over my body and energy. What's more important : I felt a very STRONG reducing in anxiety/adrenalin. At first I though... WOW! Maybe I have SIBO and this is killing the ******* bacteria that is eating up my GABA, creating LPS and stuff... Then I though... Hold on a second... maybe it's just plain old sodium calming the stress reaction like we all know. Ray says it. Salt diminishes adrenalin.

Anyway I finished the 3 doses and the day after I did 3 more. The effects were consistent, very strong diminishing of stress and anxiety. Ok. The problem is that thing tastes like HELL. And it really very harsh on the stomach (and god knows what else). So I decided to stop.

After a couple of days adrenalin/anxiety came back slowly. So this time I decided to see if it was just the sodium. So I mixed 1 tsp of baking soda with plain water and did the same procedure. Much better taste and much milder on the stomach obviously. I got some minor stress reduction but nothing compared with the sodium acetate concoction.

I'll have to experiment more but has anyone tried this or wants to add something ?

Cheers

OP
Makrosky

Makrosky

How much vinegar do you use?
You put 1 tsp of baking soda in a glass. Then SLOWLY pour white vinegar over it until it stops forming bubbles. I don't know how much is it in tbsps or mililiters.

Pointless

Ted from Earth Clinic would be proud of you ma boi :p: I'm trying this again, though. I got side effects before but I'm feeling the lowered adrenaline already.

OP
Makrosky

Makrosky

Lol!!! Please share your results. I'll try it again next week.

I make the ground mushrooms routinely, very well cooked. I eat about 2 tablespoons a day on an empty stomach.

I think Ray is right, in that they sterilize the small intestine to a great extent and may absorb estrogen for defecation.

But the point here is this. I left some in the fridge for 2 weeks and NO TRACE of mold or any microbial action. Now, that is REMARKABLE.

It blew my mind. I finally threw it out and made a fresh batch, but it demonstrated to me the value of mushrooms in helping to maintain a healthy sterile small intestine.

I find baking soda okay in small quantities (very small) but sickening in anything more than that. Even with apple cider vinegar, it is horrible, disgusting and makes me feel really sick.

Rand56

I tried it, but I only did it for 2 days. I didn't like the extra teeth sensitivity I got from it.

OP
Makrosky

Makrosky

I find baking soda okay in small quantities (very small) but sickening in anything more than that. Even with apple cider vinegar, it is horrible, disgusting and makes me feel really sick.
Totally agree. It's the worst tasting thing I ever ingested I think.
Anyway I think the sodium acetate thing doesn't sterilize, only kills supposedly bad bacteria.

Pointless

My experiment has been going well. This is surprising as most of my experiments are not useful. I don't mind the taste so much. I've been adding it to my fruit juice/gelatin/salt mixture, and it adds a little bite but mostly I taste gelatin. I use 1/2 tsp baking soda plus apple cider vinegar until the fizzing diminishes, and I consume that over 2-3 days.

I've been getting some "die-off" type effects (whatever that is), like dizziness, stomach discomfort, loose stools, sore throat, sneezing. These have been minor.

But I've gotten an improvement in skin complexion. I feel energetic and social, like a dopaminergic. My voice feels stronger, but it still cracks sometimes. I think I probably have a persistent upper respiratory tract infection. Sometimes I feel warmer, sometimes colder so we'll see how that goes. I hope this has a long-term benefit for my digestion, because nothing has really helped with that except calcium and cyproheptadine, and I think that's holding me back from improving my health.

OP
Makrosky

Makrosky

Hey pointless! Glad it works for you. I experienced that kind of dopaminergic feeling also, specially more physical stamina and more desire to play. But also felt a little ligjtheaded at times, difficult to explain the sensation. Like spaced-out. I don't know if it was die-off.

For me the worst part is that it feels extremely corrossive on my digestive tract, all the way up from the mouth till the bowels. Unbearable.

OP
Makrosky

Makrosky

I tried the mushrooms therapeutically but didn't like them. I felt bowel discomfort and headaches. Maybe it was die-off?

OP
Makrosky

Makrosky

I tried the mushrooms therapeutically but didn't like them. I felt bowel discomfort and headaches. Maybe it was die-off?
I consume raw garlic often and don't find any problems with it whatsoever. Only benefits.

dfspcc20

@Makrosky
Yes, I started using it about 10 days ago, as soon as I saw that blog post.

Small amounts 2x/day, maybe 1/4 tsp baking soda with ~1tbsp+ vinegar, then mix with water. I didn't find the taste that harsh at all.

I definitely got an immediate warming affect and increase in appetite, with a cleaner stomach feeling and clearer tongue. Also, sleep improved, both falling asleep faster and not having to wake to pee.

But then I started to get loose stools after a day or so, then diarrhea. I've stopped the sodium acetate several days ago, but my gut still feels very sensitive. (that could be from other emotional factors- a coworker was killed in a car accident a few days ago, and rough news like that has never been kind on my gut).

I might start again, maybe try only 1x/day.

I've never had any obvious SIBO symptoms, but I've been suspecting some chronic pain/numbness near my left scapula that I've had for years might be referred pain from the stomach/duodenum area. For several years prior to Peat, I was drinking tons of homemade kefir, kombucha, sourkraut, etc., so I wouldn't be surprised if I have an overgrowth of lactobacilli somewhere.

I'm also wondering if maybe getting rid of the lactobacilli in the small intestine might have revealed an underlying lactose-intolerance. Get rid of the bacteria, and now there's nothing to digest the lactose, until the small intestine can readapt. Just a theory. So I've just been sticking with hard cheeses instead of milk lately too.

OP
Makrosky

Makrosky

@Makrosky
Yes, I started using it about 10 days ago, as soon as I saw that blog post.

Small amounts 2x/day, maybe 1/4 tsp baking soda with ~1tbsp+ vinegar, then mix with water. I didn't find the taste that harsh at all.

I definitely got an immediate warming affect and increase in appetite, with a cleaner stomach feeling and clearer tongue. Also, sleep improved, both falling asleep faster and not having to wake to pee.

But then I started to get loose stools after a day or so, then diarrhea. I've stopped the sodium acetate several days ago, but my gut still feels very sensitive. (that could be from other emotional factors- a coworker was killed in a car accident a few days ago, and rough news like that has never been kind on my gut).

I might start again, maybe try only 1x/day.

I've never had any obvious SIBO symptoms, but I've been suspecting some chronic pain/numbness near my left scapula that I've had for years might be referred pain from the stomach/duodenum area. For several years prior to Peat, I was drinking tons of homemade kefir, kombucha, sourkraut, etc., so I wouldn't be surprised if I have an overgrowth of lactobacilli somewhere.

I'm also wondering if maybe getting rid of the lactobacilli in the small intestine might have revealed an underlying lactose-intolerance. Get rid of the bacteria, and now there's nothing to digest the lactose, until the small intestine can readapt. Just a theory. So I've just been sticking with hard cheeses instead of milk lately too.

Very interesting, thanks. Maybe the solution to the really bad taste is to mix it with water? I'll also keep this thread updated when I experiment with it more. Right now I'm experimenting with red light devices. Btw, you can always ask Nathan in his blog to see what he thinks about the lactose intolerance thing.

Good luck! :):

Jsaute21

Nathan is very smart. Not to compare, as it is an ugly trait, but other than Haidut, he is the most knowlegeable person i have come across in terms of healing and improving metabolism. His site is a good resource.

Pointless

Yeah you should definitely dilute it as it can be really corrosive. It is rough on my throat, but it's smoother than just vinegar, sans baking soda. Maybe try increasing the ratio of baking soda to increase the pH. Even if it still fizzes a bit, it can burn my throat if it's too acidic.

I've tried mushrooms and turpentine without much benefit.

paymanz

Ray's carrot salad is not same as sodium acetate.salt and vinegar doesn't react to form acetate. Baking soda plus vinegar does.

Idk how it can improve sibo , but acetate can increase co2 level in body.

Last edited:
OP
Makrosky

Makrosky

Ray's carrot salad is not same as sodium acetate.salt and vinegar doesn't react to form acetate. Baking soda plus vinegar does.

Idk how it can improve sibo , but acetate can increase co2 level in body.
Oh, thanks for this. I thought any kind of sodium+vinegar would create the sodium acetate. Silly me.

paymanz

I just read his article, it is interesting.

Anyway vinegar does the trick as I understand, but we mix it with baking soda so its acidity doesn't irritate mouth and stomach.

There is a simple recipe for a syrup with vinegar that also gives me very good warmth and energy.
Oxymel - Wikipedia

I just add some sugar to a glass of water, and add vinegar to taste, drink cold.so tasty!