Has anyone tried eating a "real" Thyroid Gland (from Beef most likely)?

fr@

I've been searching over the Internet about 'how to prepare beef thyroid'
(also insert other keyword variations that goes with it) and still haven't seen anything as of yet.

The only thing I'm seeing are these Supplements or Thyroid Medications.

'Cause I've been going back and forth to my local butcher and I always get an answer
that they already ran out of it -- mean while they still have: liver, heart, kidney, spleen, thymus, etc.

But I haven't asked though if some one gets to buy them in bulk from these wet markets.

'Cause probably some company is buying them in advance and makes a drug/supplement out of it?

Anyway, I'm still looking forward on getting a Raw Beef Thyroid;
but at the same time I have no idea on how to prepare one (and also how you dose it).

At the moment, I still think that eating a random sized tablespoon of Thyroid Gland would be risky.

As seeing it from Thyroid Medications (even NDT Supplements) that there's a specific dose
needed depending on your situation, as you might just jack-up your heart rate due to the wrong dose.

So has anyone experienced or have been practicing eating a Thyroid Gland (preparation, cooking, dose)?

Thanks in advance!

B

Blaze

I've been searching over the Internet about 'how to prepare beef thyroid'
(also insert other keyword variations that goes with it) and still haven't seen anything as of yet.

The only thing I'm seeing are these Supplements or Thyroid Medications.

'Cause I've been going back and forth to my local butcher and I always get an answer
that they already ran out of it -- mean while they still have: liver, heart, kidney, spleen, thymus, etc.

But I haven't asked though if some one gets to buy them in bulk from these wet markets.

'Cause probably some company is buying them in advance and makes a drug/supplement out of it?

Anyway, I'm still looking forward on getting a Raw Beef Thyroid;
but at the same time I have no idea on how to prepare one (and also how you dose it).

At the moment, I still think that eating a random sized tablespoon of Thyroid Gland would be risky.

As seeing it from Thyroid Medications (even NDT Supplements) that there's a specific dose
needed depending on your situation, as you might just jack-up your heart rate due to the wrong dose.

So has anyone experienced or have been practicing eating a Thyroid Gland (preparation, cooking, dose)?

Thanks in advance!
Humans ate thyroid glands throughout evolutionary history without many reports of overdosing issues. A thyroid gland is not as concentrated like thyroid supplements developed for hypothyroid medical applications. It is a foodsource and the ingredients will be a balanced source of protein and a little fat as well as some actual T3/T4 thyroid. I would not worry about the dose unless eating some extreme amount. The same could be said of liver which is an extremely potent source of vitamins and probably far more likely to cause harm than eating a thyroid gland. But, no problem. Just don't overeat it and it is nothing but beneficial.

The first natural thyroid medicine Armour thyroid was not even FDA approved. It was for those hypothyroid individuals who could not get enough from food. It was just a dried version of the porcine gland and could not receive fda approval since it was completely natural and like any food, the dose varied due to the animal it came from. It was more like the food you eat but dessicated (dried) to increase potency. It was just in the most recent of times that the fda and usda teamed up to prohibit the use of thyroid glands and laryngeal muscle tissue for human food.

For centuries humans ate thyroid glands with no issues till synthetic thyroid medicines suddenly became available and the federal government got the bright idea they wanted to control your access to and protect you from natural thyroid glands and removed your option to choose what you eat.

And, they even banned it from all petfoods..... even your dog and cat cannot get thyroid from their diet unless they kill wild prey. But don't worry, we have your pets nutrition completely covered since we now put massive amounts of PUFA in their pet foods to keep them healthy.

And the other day RinseandRepeat shared that her father had to travel to the next city to buy sprouts raw milk as the sprouts in his city was not allowed to sell it. So even local governments have their share of food nazis trying to control you as they see fit. Tyrants... God save us from their tyranny.

And vegans would like to save you and the planet by banning all meat......... it's for your own good in their way of reasoning and so the ends justifies the means.

And the silence is deafening, try a google search to try and find what year that Thyroid gland in food ban happened and you will get little or no results. Censorship at it's finest. Shades of George Orwell. Another forum member here bzmazu has the following quotes under all his posts:

“Never have so many been manipulated so much by so few.”

“All tyrannies rule through fraud and force, but once the fraud is exposed they must rely exclusively on force.” —George Orwell

These quotes apply profoundly to what we are living in these modern times. Your freedom to choose how you live even down to what you eat or what you can say or what information you can access is being threatened.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Mohn

I spent some time in Malaysia and there you can buy chicken necks with the thyroid. I boiled them into a broth and they gave me a strong increase in temperature and pulse. I bought anchovies, very small fish, removed the gut, washed and dried them at room temperature. They have some pufa but I ate them for the bones and skin. They too give you a good metabolic punch.

OP
fr@

fr@

@boris
- Thanks a lot, that's a really good podcast episode.
- I guess 1 gram of Raw Thyroid might be almost the size of a tablespoon, but isn't 15 grains a bit too much?
- And wow about Ray Peat mentioning that in the 1940's it's a been a requirement by the Government for the Thyroid Gland to be removed.

@Blaze
- Probably that's the whole reason why I can't buy any Thyroid Glands (reminds of what Ray Peat mentioned in the podcast shared by boris).
- And about the freedom to choose, I guess to it's time to form a New Country.
+ Something that's in high altitude and has good farming conditions, probably in the mountains of Germany.
+ ...maybe there's also thread here about starting a New Country.
+ Mean while, you're selling stuff on Amazon that people don't need and all of them are ethically sourced/manufactured in 3rd World Countries (the irony).
- As with the dose, seems like eating the Real Thyroid Gland won't be much of an issue; but I'll start with micro-dosing first (if I get a chance to get one).

@Michael Mohn
- Seems like Malaysia is the place to go, mean while all the Chicken Necks I'm seeing elsewhere are just "Necks" (for Bone Broth maybe).
- As with gutting Anchovies, is removing the gut just for the taste or there's something bad in it?
- And what are your thoughts on eating Animal Bones, they say it stores lots of Heavy Metals?

Michael Mohn

In Malaysia you can also buy pure beef tendons. Makes the best gelatine and you feel the Mead Acid, very euphoric experience. The big bones with marrow can leech heavy metals, fish bones from anchovies and small sardines are no problem. The fish gut has the gallbladder with bile, if you don't remove it you spoil the entire fish, bile is very disgusting. You can go to smaller butchers and say you're a biology student or teacher and you want a gland for an experiment, sometimes they give you one.

OP
fr@

fr@

In Malaysia you can also buy pure beef tendons. Makes the best gelatine and you feel the Mead Acid, very euphoric experience. The big bones with marrow can leech heavy metals, fish bones from anchovies and small sardines are no problem. The fish gut has the gallbladder with bile, if you don't remove it you spoil the entire fish, bile is very disgusting. You can go to smaller butchers and say you're a biology student or teacher and you want a gland for an experiment, sometimes they give you one.
Thanks, I'll try that out -- especially making an alibi that I'm Biology Student and needing a gland for an assignment [smiley face emoji]

As with Heavy Metals ('cause I'm planning to either do regular Bone Broths or using a Gelatin Powder):

- Would they become a big issue overtime?
- Are there strategies to mitigate this?
- Or does supplementing Glycine a better option?

Dr. B

Humans ate thyroid glands throughout evolutionary history without many reports of overdosing issues. A thyroid gland is not as concentrated like thyroid supplements developed for hypothyroid medical applications. It is a foodsource and the ingredients will be a balanced source of protein and a little fat as well as some actual T3/T4 thyroid. I would not worry about the dose unless eating some extreme amount. The same could be said of liver which is an extremely potent source of vitamins and probably far more likely to cause harm than eating a thyroid gland. But, no problem. Just don't overeat it and it is nothing but beneficial.

The first natural thyroid medicine Armour thyroid was not even FDA approved. It was for those hypothyroid individuals who could not get enough from food. It was just a dried version of the porcine gland and could not receive fda approval since it was completely natural and like any food, the dose varied due to the animal it came from. It was more like the food you eat but dessicated (dried) to increase potency. It was just in the most recent of times that the fda and usda teamed up to prohibit the use of thyroid glands and laryngeal muscle tissue for human food.

For centuries humans ate thyroid glands with no issues till synthetic thyroid medicines suddenly became available and the federal government got the bright idea they wanted to control your access to and protect you from natural thyroid glands and removed your option to choose what you eat.

And, they even banned it from all petfoods..... even your dog and cat cannot get thyroid from their diet unless they kill wild prey. But don't worry, we have your pets nutrition completely covered since we now put massive amounts of PUFA in their pet foods to keep them healthy.

And the other day RinseandRepeat shared that her father had to travel to the next city to buy sprouts raw milk as the sprouts in his city was not allowed to sell it. So even local governments have their share of food nazis trying to control you as they see fit. Tyrants... God save us from their tyranny.

And vegans would like to save you and the planet by banning all meat......... it's for your own good in their way of reasoning and so the ends justifies the means.

And the silence is deafening, try a google search to try and find what year that Thyroid gland in food ban happened and you will get little or no results. Censorship at it's finest. Shades of George Orwell. Another forum member here bzmazu has the following quotes under all his posts:

“Never have so many been manipulated so much by so few.”

“All tyrannies rule through fraud and force, but once the fraud is exposed they must rely exclusively on force.” —George Orwell

These quotes apply profoundly to what we are living in these modern times. Your freedom to choose how you live even down to what you eat or what you can say or what information you can access is being threatened.

the raw actual thyroid gland is not at all comparable to T3 and T4. the thyroid gland contains t1, t2, t3, t4, parathyroid, and calcitonin. mainstream medicine considers t1 or t2 to be "inactive" and irrelevant, but they're wrong about basically everything, they also claimed the tailbone is unecessary unneeded etc... actually they consider one of the two of t1/t2 to be inactive irrelvant and the other is still being studied. either way, those things are obviously providing some balancing effect with the t3 and t4. if you're getting the NDT supplements like armour thyroid, they still remove the parathyroid and calcitonin in order to sell those as separate products. you'll almost never get calcitonin in a thyroid supplement glandular. ancestral supplements does include the full thyroid including calcitonin and parathyroid, but theyre kind of expensive, and have just 30mg freeze dried thyroid per capsule, which i think is a half grain or something?

Thanks, I'll try that out -- especially making an alibi that I'm Biology Student and needing a gland for an assignment [smiley face emoji]

As with Heavy Metals ('cause I'm planning to either do regular Bone Broths or using a Gelatin Powder):

- Would they become a big issue overtime?
- Are there strategies to mitigate this?
- Or does supplementing Glycine a better option?

glycine powder, like most or all amino acid supplements, has issues with its production and sourcing. you might have an allergic or inflammatory response to glycine powder. youd need to go for organic, 100% grass fed, A2, vaccine free cows, in order to ensure their bones and gelatin is as healthy as possible...

Robert5493

Two adult deer thyroid, one was 8 grams and the other was 12 grams.
I don't believe 1 gram of raw is 15 grain equivalent, but only 3 grains.
I've looked up it up in several historical texts, and found when they talk of grains they mean desiccated grains, and not "equivalent to raw" grains as Ray mentioned in that interview. When he talks about them adding glucose to bring the weight back up, I believe that only applied to making a standardized strength tablet, not an attempt to make it weigh the same as raw gland.
I've taken 670mg of this raw thyroid, and it has effect similar to 2 grains of NDT.

One question I have, is about the parathyroid glands.
I can't find see them on the lobes and could not find out whether they were trimmed out from in the original NDT formulations.

20201103_180205.jpg
signal-2021-03-08-163353.jpg
signal-2021-03-08-161809.jpg

Dr. B

Two adult deer thyroid, one was 8 grams and the other was 12 grams.
I don't believe 1 gram of raw is 15 grain equivalent, but only 3 grains.
I've looked up it up in several historical texts, and found when they talk of grains they mean desiccated grains, and not "equivalent to raw" grains as Ray mentioned in that interview. When he talks about them adding glucose to bring the weight back up, I believe that only applied to making a standardized strength tablet, not an attempt to make it weigh the same as raw gland.
I've taken 670mg of this raw thyroid, and it has effect similar to 2 grains of NDT.

One question I have, is about the parathyroid glands.
I can't find see them on the lobes and could not find out whether they were trimmed out from in the original NDT formulations.

View attachment 26359View attachment 26358View attachment 26357
the standardized NDT products likely have the calcitonin, and parathyroid removed.

OP
fr@

fr@

@Mr.Bollox

Thanks a lot!

As with supplementing an NDT, how many 'grains' would be considered beneficial?
I mean, there aren't any instructions written on the label of the supplement.
Also I find it a bit risky to just take one for a try, as I've seen several anecdotes that it messed up their heart rate.

As with Glycine, I'm already done on using it.
'Cause after a while of taking it (around past 3 days), I only get irritable and some familiar pains that you'd associate with Fibromyalgia.

@Robert5493

Thanks for the detailed post, I also don't have an answer to your question.
But how does 2 grains of NDT feel to you?