Has Anyone Tried Diffusing Baking Soda?

Jessie

I've heard of people nebulizing baking soda before, which probably yields really good results. However I don't have a nebulizer, however I do have a diffuser that you put essential oils in and it blows them out into the air.

I got the idea that this might work with baking soda, so I took about 1-2 tbsps of baking soda and mixed it into a glass of water. I filled up my diffuser with it and turned it on. Tbh, I wasn't expecting it to do much, just thought it would be a cool experiment.

However after about 10 minutes, I noticed I was breathing much more deeper, and I was really warm, basically killed any adrenaline I had at the time. My sleeping was really good last night too. Either this was one hell of a placebo, or it was actually making noticeable differences in my CO2 saturation.

Some things to keep in mind, I have my diffuser in the bedroom, which is kind of a small room. So it wouldn't take much time for the diffuser to dispense the bicarbonate into the air. If you're in a bigger more opened room, you may need 2-3 diffusers to yield similar results.

All in all, I think I like it better then bathing in baking soda. It's more convenient, less time consuming, not to mention I believe slightly more effective. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this yet.

SQu

I'd love to try. I'm considering a diffuser at the moment. I find bicarb in water gently soothing and effective in so many ways. Like coping with heat stress (and thirst as it's better than plain water) in summer. I also take a few sips when I wake in the night and it helps me sleep a bit better. I also rinse with it after orange juice and fruit to neutralize the acid. I'll also remember it for the nebulizer if anyone gets flu (of any kind!)

OP
J

Jessie

It's worth a try definitely. I've always struggled with my utilization of baking soda. Drinking it never seemed to help much, bathing/soaking in it is okay, but it takes a long time. This method is by far the best I've tried so far.

please be careful, did you looked up data or just going YOLO, what should happen anyway.

SQu

Yes I really think it's important to find some approach that really works in terms of hassle or time. Otherwise you will often not keep it up in the long run. I'm always looking for good ideas like that.

OP
J

Jessie

please be careful, did you looked up data or just going YOLO, what should happen anyway.
I mean, I didn't study this extensively. But Tim Berzins made a video on YT about CO2, and mentioned nebulizing baking soda as an efficient way to increase it. Additionally, one of the forum members here discussed nebulizing baking soda. The Only Hormone Or Anti-Oxidant You Actually Need

I figure if direct inhalation via nebulizing is safe, then simply being in a room with a slightly elevated bicarbonate concentration it probably safe. Diffusing won't acheive even the same concentrations as nebulizing would.

Edit: However, nevertheless people should be aware of the fact baking soda does increase blood PH. Could be problematic for certain folks.

Yes I really think it's important to find some approach that really works in terms of hassle or time. Otherwise you will often not keep it up in the long run. I'm always looking for good ideas like that.
Yeah, plus I like the idea of using baking soda. When you compare it to other supplements, it's easy to get and inexpensive, and when harnessed correctly, is possibly one of the best.

LeeLemonoil

Make sure that undisolved residues don’t damage the nozzle/jet in the apparatus.

I use sea salt or bathing salt prepared with EOs sometimes in my diffusers. Also Lugols

OP
J

Jessie

Make sure that undisolved residues don’t damage the nozzle/jet in the apparatus.

I use sea salt or bathing salt prepared with EOs sometimes in my diffusers. Also Lugols
Thanks for the recommendation. Yeah I tried to make sure no undissolved soda got in the machine, I was wondering about this.

OP
J

Jessie

Minor update: I used it again today, same effects. This is REALLY and effective way to increase CO2 levels no doubt.

The alkalinizing effects of baking soda is well known, and if you overly alkalinize that will definitely give you calcium problems. Namely, calcium won't be able to escape your soft tissues. So this is not something you won't to be nonchalant about. I recommend only taking 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp of dissolved baking soda at a time. Basically what you would normally take if you were drinking it.

However, due to the profound effects this method has had, on me at least, this got me to thinking if it's possible to use other CO2 substances with this same diffusing delivery system. Sure enough, I tried diffusing carbonated water, and this seems to provide an effect as well. As far as comparison, I think the baking soda was slightly more potent, but I did notice an effect from the CO2 water as well. Carbonated water also has the added benefit of lowering the PH rather then raising it. So, I suppose it's possible to use both these substances depending on individual context.

Now, as far as availability goes, it could get rather expensive for someone to essentially waste a bottle of water on a diffuser. So I recommend using a sodastream to make your own if you attempt this. Using bottles of Perrier will add up quickly in the price column.

At any rate, that's all for now folks.

tankasnowgod

Minor update: I used it again today, same effects. This is REALLY and effective way to increase CO2 levels no doubt.

The alkalinizing effects of baking soda is well known, and if you overly alkalinize that will definitely give you calcium problems. Namely, calcium won't be able to escape your soft tissues. So this is not something you won't to be nonchalant about. I recommend only taking 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp of dissolved baking soda at a time. Basically what you would normally take if you were drinking it.

However, due to the profound effects this method has had, on me at least, this got me to thinking if it's possible to use other CO2 substances with this same diffusing delivery system. Sure enough, I tried diffusing carbonated water, and this seems to provide an effect as well. As far as comparison, I think the baking soda was slightly more potent, but I did notice an effect from the CO2 water as well. Carbonated water also has the added benefit of lowering the PH rather then raising it. So, I suppose it's possible to use both these substances depending on individual context.

Now, as far as availability goes, it could get rather expensive for someone to essentially waste a bottle of water on a diffuser. So I recommend using a sodastream to make your own if you attempt this. Using bottles of Perrier will add up quickly in the price column.

At any rate, that's all for now folks.

Awesome. I had thought about doing this in the past, but never did it. Good to hear you've had success with it. I saw the old thread about breathing it in directly, and that didn't really interest me.

OP
J

Jessie

Awesome. I had thought about doing this in the past, but never did it. Good to hear you've had success with it. I saw the old thread about breathing it in directly, and that didn't really interest me.
Yeah, I think this is the best experience from a "supplement" I've ever had. The effects of deeper breathing (I assume from deeper tissue oxygenation because of the CO2) were almost immediate after the bicarbonate filled the room. It makes me warm feeling and last night I noticed I slept really good too.

I'm going to try the carbonated water more tomorrow, and I'm going to do it before I use baking soda. Because I only tried it once, and it was several hours after I already had a session with baking soda. I need to use it alone to really test it's effectiveness.

MeatOrchid

@Jessie hi thanks for sharing.

I tried dissolving 80 grams of Baking Soda in a 1 gallon humidifier and tracked my saturation with an oxymeter but after two hours I was saturating at 93 94 92....

Do you track with an oxymeter?

Didnt feel warm and cozy. Are diffuser and humidifier different?

OP
J

Jessie

@Jessie hi thanks for sharing.

I tried dissolving 80 grams of Baking Soda in a 1 gallon humidifier and tracked my saturation with an oxymeter but after two hours I was saturating at 93 94 92....

Do you track with an oxymeter?

Didnt feel warm and cozy. Are diffuser and humidifier different?
I would imagine the mechanisms of diffusers and humidifiers are different slightly. Water based diffusers may in fact increase humidity marginally, but this would just be a inadvertent effect of dispensing water into the air.

Additionally I have not tracked my O2 readings with anything. If I had to guess, the increase in CO2 could drop your O2 saturation some. I remember Ray saying something about he felt his "best" with a O2 saturation of 89%. Signs of apparent hyperventilation occur around 99-100%. I would frequently get 100% on the O2 reading when going to the doctor for a checkup.

RealNeat

You can just free the CO2 from carbonated water or baking soda by heating it up and breathing it in.

Also more moisturizing to the tissues than cold vapor.

I guess filling a diffuser and letting it run is more convenient in certain situations. I wonder what the ultrasonic waves do to the structure of sodium bicarbonate? What actually becomes dispersed in the air ...as sodium carbonate is soluble in water and very alkaline, possibly harmful to breathe.

last thought, why not just use the soda stream to pump co2 a bit into the air instead of making soda then diffusing it?

Last edited: