Has Anyone Successfully Come Off Klonopin?

CoconutEffect

And found a reasonable alternative? I use it as my primary mood stabilzer, don’t function w/o out.

A lot of speculation out there, has anyone actually done it? Klonopin or other benzos.

I know someone who has successfully been off of benzos now for 5 years. They were hooked for around a year. They tapered off, and took kava kava and also began daily supplementation with magnesium in various forms, including epsom salt baths, it was not an overnight change but in about two months they were feeling better and had successfully quit.

OP
C

CoconutEffect

I know someone who has successfully been off of benzos now for 5 years. They were hooked for around a year. They tapered off, and took kava kava and also began daily supplementation with magnesium in various forms, including epsom salt baths, it was not an overnight change but in about two months they were feeling better and had successfully quit.
Interesting, thank you. I haven’t used kava kava in 10 years. I’m wondering if all the bad press regarding potential liver damage is of same kind of disinformation that says Gaba supplements don’t cross the BBB. Are we all waiting for @haidut to release a magnesium supplemet? ;)

Interesting, thank you. I haven’t used kava kava in 10 years. I’m wondering if all the bad press regarding potential liver damage is of same kind of disinformation that says Gaba supplements don’t cross the BBB. Are we all waiting for @haidut to release a magnesium supplemet? ;)

I have used kava kava 5 nights a week for a few months, never had any liver troubles, afaik the danger lies in mixing it with alcohol or other substances that put a strain on the liver.

I'd also suggest giving lemon balm a try, it has a similar vibe, but less strong.

OP
C

CoconutEffect

I have used kava kava 5 nights a week for a few months, never had any liver troubles, afaik the danger lies in mixing it with alcohol or other substances that put a strain on the liver.

I'd also suggest giving lemon balm a try, it has a similar vibe, but less strong.
Cool, can you recommend the specific products you used?

I'm not sure on what products my friend used. However this is the kava I have used and I thought it was plenty good. Also the strainer bag I got. The price has jumped like almost $20 from when I ordered it a couple years ago... there may be an alternative out there that is less pricey, at the time this was the cheapest brand I could find.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A80163M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YBIHM26/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for lemon balm: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E0WOE0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

Lemon balm is best if you do it 2 or 3 times a week, tolerance builds up fast and leaves you with a hazy feeling that will last for days after if taken too frequently.

As for magnesium. Magnesium Glycinate is good stuff, also if you are on a budget just taking small doses of epsom salt throughout the day works (key is small, like 1/8 tsp with water, otherwise it will just upset your g.i.). Epsom salt foot soaks in as hot as water as you can stand for 30 minutes a day is a great one, don't waste it all in a bath tub - gets very expensive that way.

Last edited:

DavidGardner

I quit Librium (benzo, not lithium) cold turkey after prolly three years continuous usage. Zero withdrawals. I was in my early twenties though, there's no way I could handle that now. Have you ever tried quetiapine? I've seen considerable improvements in the past few months from it. I am diagnosed bipolar, btw.

Also, does glycine itself do anything for you? Used to help me quite a bit with anxiety, now it just makes me sleepy.

Aleeri

I quit 1-year daily use of Xanax (Alprazolam) in my early twenties (also did other benzos like Klonopin and Valium). Probably the hardest thing I have ever done in my life.

You think at the start the benzo is helping you but it is not. One day you will find yourself feeling nothing, no anxiety but no happy feelings either, you don't care about anything. Not to mention that it ***** up the memory so most of the details and feelings of your experiences during the time of taking it will be lost forever.

It took a few months until I could leave the house without anxiety after stopping it. I used valium for 1-2 weeks to taper down, but withdrawals were still beyond horrible at the end. Took like a year until I was back like my old self.

I have been offered benzos after that before surgery at the dentist office, always turned them down and rather suffer than take them again. I would not even take another benzo if you paid me thousands of dollars to do it, the stuff is poison, worst of the worst. If I had one regret in life it would be that I would not have wasted 2 years of my life on that ***t and recovering from it.

Kava kava never worked for me, it increased my anxiety.

Lemon balm is probably what worked the best but not very strong. I did a genetic test and I had some GAD sntps that affect GABA, so no wonder I got hooked on that stuff.

Theanine also good.

Lithium Orotate also worked great, I highly recommend that.

But in the end, what cured me was daily Meditation, 20min x2 per day. After meditating for about 1-2 years (also tried some floating) it completely changed me as a person, I nowadays don't try to escape my feelings using substances, I deal with them and since that most of my anxiety is gone. My need for drinking alcohol is also completely gone, haven't had a drink on my own in 7 years.

Even when I stopped meditation for a year it's like the benefits are permanent, it's a skill that stays with you forever. Many other people experienced the same (Arnold Schwarzenegger even mentioned it in an interview).

Hope it helps, please don't put your hope into Klonopin, you will regret it.

goodandevil

I quit 1-year daily use of Xanax (Alprazolam) in my early twenties (also did other benzos like Klonopin and Valium). Probably the hardest thing I have ever done in my life.

You think at the start the benzo is helping you but it is not. One day you will find yourself feeling nothing, no anxiety but no happy feelings either, you don't care about anything. Not to mention that it ***** up the memory so most of the details and feelings of your experiences during the time of taking it will be lost forever.

It took a few months until I could leave the house without anxiety after stopping it. I used valium for 1-2 weeks to taper down, but withdrawals were still beyond horrible at the end. Took like a year until I was back like my old self.

I have been offered benzos after that before surgery at the dentist office, always turned them down and rather suffer than take them again. I would not even take another benzo if you paid me thousands of dollars to do it, the stuff is poison, worst of the worst. If I had one regret in life it would be that I would not have wasted 2 years of my life on that ***t and recovering from it.

Kava kava never worked for me, it increased my anxiety.

Lemon balm is probably what worked the best but not very strong. I did a genetic test and I had some GAD sntps that affect GABA, so no wonder I got hooked on that stuff.

Theanine also good.

Lithium Orotate also worked great, I highly recommend that.

But in the end, what cured me was daily Meditation, 20min x2 per day. After meditating for about 1-2 years (also tried some floating) it completely changed me as a person, I nowadays don't try to escape my feelings using substances, I deal with them and since that most of my anxiety is gone. My need for drinking alcohol is also completely gone, haven't had a drink on my own in 7 years.

Even when I stopped meditation for a year it's like the benefits are permanent, it's a skill that stays with you forever. Many other people experienced the same (Arnold Schwarzenegger even mentioned it in an interview).

Hope it helps, please don't put your hope into Klonopin, you will regret it.
I concur with this. I suffered from "benzo belly" after withdrawal, which i believe is atrophied abdominal and pelvic muscle. This turned out to be what attracted me to benzos in the first place.

DaveFoster

@dilantinoid

While treating the underlying anxiety using some other modality, some online communities design protocols for "microtapering" or a gradual reduction of the dosage monthly or bi-monthly (for example a decrease of 10% of the previous month's daily dosage each month or every two weeks.) Patients often use microgram scales or "liquid dosing" to reach sub-therapeutic dosages.

There's those who get down to a very minisucule dosage (0.125 mg or less of clonazepam [Klonopin]), and they then get their psychiatrist to prescribe diazepam (Valium) due to its much longer half-life (100 hours). After ingesting the low-dose diazepam, the patient ceases the dosage of any amount of clonazepam and "microtaper" with decreasing dosages of diazepam.

Alternatively, they use a microgram scale and continue to taper down on clonazepam until reaching dosages well below 0.125 mg. It takes at least a year for most to cease the drug when "microtapering," but many report no withdrawal symptoms using such methods, and the negative effects of the drug (with regard to its implications in dementia and other diseases) decreases with the lower active dose. In other words a sub-therapeutic dosage (such as 0.125 mg or lower) will have reduced complications compared to a dosage of of 1 or 2 mg.

Last edited:

ejalrp

And found a reasonable alternative? I use it as my primary mood stabilzer, don’t function w/o out.

A lot of speculation out there, has anyone actually done it? Klonopin or other benzos.

A friend quit and had awful insomnia. He started taking Propanalol before bedtime and it seems to have worked.

Douglas Ek

Cool, can you recommend the specific products you used?

How did it go for you? If you still havent succeded my tip would be to switch to diazepam/valium since its half life is like 200 hours so withdrawal doesnt come on as fast when you taper. Talk with your doctor about this he would help you. Then you sorta just lower your daily dose slowly. If you feel its going to fast then slow down. Eventually you will be down to a feew miligrams. The last miligrams was the hardest for me. But slow and steady wins the race. You will feel ***t but much milder and a lot of people succesfully quit this wayi would never recommend doing it fast or abruptly stop is extremely dangerous as this can result in seizure and im severe addiction even death from to many seizures. Stay away from all stimulants and drink a lot of tea like camomille and passionflower. Take magnesium and high dose glycine and taurine any youll have a piece of cake.