Has Anyone Improved Their Health Through Using Scientific "Theories"?

JustAGuy

On the forums I read a lot of people posting studies and biochemical reasons for why things should work or be healthy.
I am wondering if anyone has actually improved their health through using scientific theories?
Personally my health had never been as bad as when trying to force "healthful habits" or "methods" onto it.
The only way I finally managed to improve myself was through intuition, trial & error and carefully listening to cues from my body.

For me personally the 4 pillars that seem to decide my health are:
- Diet/fluid (specific macronutrient intake for me (high carb moderate protein low fat), micros never seemed to do anything for me, only fiber helps somewhat) - fluid intake lower = better for me personally,
- Light (sunlight, exposing whole body to the sun preferably as much as possible, I actually crave sunlight),
- Appropriate physical activity (low intensity movement with specific exercise regimen for my body, I have a nervous system that recuperates very slowly so for me personally higher volume lower weight works a lot better),
- Adequate rest.

Prosper

The only way I finally managed to improve myself was through intuition, trial & error and carefully listening to cues from my body.
This is good, better than anything that a scientist could tell you. Scientific knowledge helps you figure out why you feel certain symptoms and how to possibly work around them, but ultimately your intuition will be the best guide available.

Almost all the stuff I use and advise people has helped me or my family. And most of them are Ayurvedic else orthomolecular based with backed up science.
Still, I am trying to improve my diet via Peating and other biohacks.

I have improved:
  • connective tissue, fascia,
  • regenerate nerves,
  • penile tissue injury,
  • prostate,
  • hair loss,
  • skin collagen synthesis,
  • repartitioned neurotransmitter system
  • cognition, psychosis, false memory
  • anhedonia, depression
currently working on:
  • Tendons, muscles
  • Hair growth
  • Learned helplessness

Murtaza

Any
Almost all the stuff I use and advise people has helped me or my family. And most of them are Ayurvedic else orthomolecular based with backed up science.

I have improved:
  • regenerate nerves,
  • penile tissue injury,
  • prostate,
  • hair loss,
  • anhedonia, depression
currently working on:
  • Tendons, muscles
  • Hair growth
  • Learned helplessness
Any idea what helped with your hair loss?

Arrade

I have improved:
  • regenerate nerves,
  • penile tissue injury,
  • prostate,
  • hair loss,
  • anhedonia, depression
currently working on:
  • Tendons, muscles
  • Hair growth
  • Learned helplessness
Lifting heavy will get rid of that learned helplessness.

Avuryhedic what now

On the forums I read a lot of people posting studies and biochemical reasons for why things should work or be healthy.
I am wondering if anyone has actually improved their health through using scientific theories?
Personally my health had never been as bad as when trying to force "healthful habits" or "methods" onto it.

For me personally the 4 pillars that seem to decide my health are:
- Diet/fluid (specific macronutrient intake for me (high carb moderate protein low fat), micros never seemed to do anything for me, only fiber helps somewhat) - fluid intake lower = better for me personally,
- Light (sunlight, exposing whole body to the sun preferably as much as possible, I actually crave sunlight),
- Appropriate physical activity (low intensity movement with specific exercise regimen for my body, I have a nervous system that recuperates very slowly so for me personally higher volume lower weight works a lot better),
- Adequate rest.

I use the theories to give me clues as to what may help me, but at the end of the day, personal experience is key. What works for one may not work for another.

I also like seeing studies, especially multiple studies, showing something's effect because it let's me know it's not placebo and reinforces my intuition.

An example for me is seeing how different supplements affect me similarly, then reading up on them and seeing the common way they affect physiology. This also helps me narrow down what I need to focus and improve on.

A lot of it is almost meditative in the sense that I base things on how I feel, but reading the studies gives me an idea as to what that "feel" is, in scientific terms.

Endew

I have improved:
  • regenerate nerves,
  • penile tissue injury,
  • prostate,
  • hair loss,
  • anhedonia, depression
currently working on:
  • Tendons, muscles
  • Hair growth
  • Learned helplessness

What did you do for penile injury, psychosis, and depression?

tara

Descriptions of Bohr's, Buteyko's and others findings about CO2 persuaded me to make some changes to my breathing habits.
Peat's references articles about fats, reinforced by others, eg Haidut's references, persuaded me to radically reduce my PUFA consumption.
Peat's articles about sugar persuaded me to relax my restrictive approach to it.
Reading Gwyneth Olwyn's referenced articles related to normal energy balance were a factor in modifying my approach to food.

I think all of these have been helpful for reducing the unnecessary stresses stresses I was putting on my health. In each case, how I've applied the ideas has also been influenced by seeing how I respond to changes personally.
There have been others, related to diet, light, exercise, etc.

I've read about studies related to many supplements, and tried a number. Based on my experience and intuition, I've stuck with a small number that seem personally useful.
Understanding more about both healthy metabolism, and adaptations to stress, has also been helpful for getting an idea about what might be going on, and what might help.

Nothing I've implemented so far has been enough to recover full health. But I bet I'd have been in worse shape without this information.

What did you do for penile injury, psychosis, and depression?
  • Penis tissue healing with Centella Asiatica and horny goat weed extract with ALCAR and GLA from hemp oil, also krill oil against prostaglandins, but better to replace that with aspirin. This was before Peating.
- The theory is Centella accelerates wound healing and collagen synthesis Horny goat weed stimulates the pelvic area for healing and ALCAR regenerates nerves, and GLA is pro PGE1 that is against inflammation of Prostaglandin E2.
  • Psychosis, low tryptophan / serotonin diet, I was Bulletproof-ish with medium carbs back then, no cannabis but I did smoked handrolled tobacco and psychotherapy.
  • Depression, ashwagandha and Centella asiatica with Prozac, and a some regular alcoholic beverages. After that st John's wort now and then
EDIT, I needed Prozac to get the psychotherapy. But to minimize libido side effects I paired it with Ashwagandha

Last edited:

Lecarpetron

Stress reduction theories absolutely helped me recover from insomnia, cystic acne, and poor digestion. For me, the pillars of reducing stress were:
1. Quit distance running
2. Eat instinctively, no food restriction...only dietary habit I have now that's not necessarily instinctive is to favor saturated fat
3. Sunlight exposure (or in the winter, red light)
4. Supplements during a pinch, most notably cypro

There were many studies posted on the forum to back up each of these tactics.