Has Anyone Here Tried "always Liquid" Coconut Oil?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
He also used to weigh almost 300 lbs, eats low carb/keto, drinks lots of coffee with no sugar, and sleeps 4-5 hours per night. Got cortisol?
Sounds like a miserable life...

Glassy

Yes, indeed, we dont know anything except for miracle whip. Thanks for the recipe, ill give those proportions a shot.

Lol - yeah I sadly grew up on Miracle whip (it sounds like such a sinister product name to me now).

I went back to woolies that day and they had sadly put the liquid coconut oil back up to $13 per bottle ($26/L). I’m glad I grabbed 4 bottles but wish I’d gotten more. Oh well

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I bought a small bottle of always liquid coconut oil to put in a smoothie/soylent I make for my husband before work. He isn't following a Peat inspired approach but I still couldn't bring myself to use canola oil or soybean oil like most of the recipes call for so I settled on the liquid coconut oil. I tried regular coconut oil first because that's what I had on hand but it didn't mix well. EVOO seemed like it would taste odd with milk, cocoa powder, sugar, maple syrup etc but the liquid coconut oil doesn't have a strong flavor, mixes well and boosts the calories for fueling his physically demanding work. It seems there are some uses for it especially if you need a replacement for liquid vegetable oils in recipes. I used it in a cornbread recipe recently and it turned out nice.

shepherdgirl

I was using olive oil to make mayonnaise but i don’t trust the % of actual olive oil and don’t like the fatty acid profile that much
I also don't trust most olive oil. But since LCO is liquid, how can I be sure they are not cutting it with cheap oil?

Glassy

I also don't trust most olive oil. But since LCO is liquid, how can I be sure they are not cutting it with cheap oil?

You can’t really be sure with anything I guess. The LCO I get has slight flavour that is uniquely coconuty and they have a fatty acid breakdown on the label. It’s not cheap, but if it was I would probably doubt its composition. I expect CO to be cheaper since it doesn’t need to be processed as much.

I guess one of the biggest differences can be seen in the smoke point of the oil. This is the temperature at which the oil starts smoking in the pan. Vegetable oils will start smoking much quicker than LCO. I usually cook with solid coconut oil and smoke it a bit first to take away the strong flavour. I’m often surprised by how hot the oil is (it behaves more like lard or tallow).

Glassy

Smoke point sounds like a good test - thanks @Glassy !

The best way would be with an IR thermometer on the base of a pan, taking a reading when it starts to smoke. You could then look at the smoke point of a sunflower oil, the LCO and coconut oil and see if it’s more similar to the coconut oil.

My guess is that some of the impurities and unstable fats in the coconut oil are burned early on when at high heat (I’ve noticed after the initial burn off it stops, then continues to heat). I’d also hazard a guess that even the smallest amount of vegetable oil added to the LCO will lower the smoking point (I reckon the unstable oils will rapidly burn/oxidise even in the presence of the coconut oil).

If you don’t have a thermometer, you might want to heat a decent amount of the LCO up to smoke point, back off the temperature and then add a small amount of vegetable oil and see what happens. If it’s reasonably pure CO it should start smoking with the added oil at the same approximate temperature (you could check with regular CO if this happens or not).

Just be careful - hot oil burns like hell if you spill it on you and smoking oil has a habit to actually catch fire (especially if left unattended).

shepherdgirl

Thanks for the details @Glassy! You know, I just remembered a test Dr. Peat used with veg oils - iirc he put the oil in some kind of stoppered flask with tubing, then put the end of the tubing into water. Because the cheap oils decay rapidly I think they use up all the air in the tube and start drawing the water into the tube (please refer to his explanation, this is off the top of my head!) Anyway, perhaps it would be easy to compare the rate of decay of various oils. Perhaps it would be easy to see which oils were counterfeit.