Has Anyone Here Had Success With Minoxidil?

milk

Yes, yes. Sorry for the question. I've been "peating" for years. I should know better. Minoxidil is unorthodox.

But my hairline is... I'm losing ground. Otherwise my hair is fine. Sparkling, abundant. Crown is fine. But the hairline is making me sad.

I have had what seems like regrowth on the hairline with cyproheptadine. Oral and topical. New hairs that weren't there before. They really weren't there before. I do think cypro is very effective.

But it's not enough. I'm losing ground. I want something more, yes, aggressive.

There are many reports of people regrowing those hairline hairs with minoxidil. A guy I follow on twitter (interesting guy, hair loss is not his main theme at all) sometimes talks about his hair loss. He says minoxidil has given him some hair regrowth on his hairline.

Yes, very anecdotal. But shouldn't I give it a try? Maybe?

franc0

I don't think I ever regained any hair on it, and I used the 5%, not sure if it did thicken my hair the hair that I did have tho,
I'm losing hair on my hairline, my back and sides are fine but my hair on top is very thin throughout.
contemplating using toppik till I can afford a transplant when I'm older.

SOMO

Applied religiously, daily in high doses (using Minoxidil POWDER) and the results were lackluster for the amount of money and time I was spending.
But some got in my eyebrows and it seemed to work better there. Often times the Minoxidil would drip onto my cheeks and beard, but I have NOT experienced any beard growth hair in that area.

I thought the "Minoxidil Shed" was a myth, but it actually happened to me. Minoxidil shed is when hairs in the current "resting" phase of hair growth fall out to be replaced by new active hairs. The logic is that "you would have lost those hairs anyway" but I'm not sure encouraging any hair loss is healthy (physically or mentally.) The stress of the Minoxidil Shed could cause serious distress.

I think it was giving me tinnitus and head rushing feelings. Also nobody is 100% sure how minoxidil works, which is obviously disconcerting.

You're really supposed to apply Minoxidil daily, since waiting a day or more between applications might not be enough time for the effect to take hold and regrow hair.

I think it's worth a try, especially if losing hair is causing you stress. Just buy a 6 month supply on Amazon and use it within 3 months.

Minoxidil also synergized with Vitamin A (Retinol or Tretinoin) and Azelaic Acid.

Ingenol

I've been using the foam twice daily for several years, and my hair, although it's always been very fine, looks great. Hairline is holding steady (knock on wood) whereas my younger brother of 3 years has significant recession and crown thinning (he doesn't Peat).

I started taking it prior to any visible hair loss, during a very stressful time period before I was familiar with peat, and I definitely think it (has) helped. The issue is now if I were to stop I would presumably experience increased shedding, but if I wanted to determine if it was MPB setting in or just the growth phases readjusting I'd have to ride that experience out. If I did then confirm thinning, unfortunately, I'd be much worse off since it seems much harder to regrow than maintain hair.

OP
M

milk

Alright, thanks a lot guys.

Yeah, I think maybe I'll just stick to the cypro.

Hiwatt

I use minoxidil 2x day even though it's controversial FOR NOW :handok: - I use Lipogaine in the morning and Perfect Hair 5% with azelic acid in the evening. I add Emu Oil to the evening application and spray copper peptides in the morning. I use copper peptide conditioner and Evolis Restore Conditioner (FGF-5 inhibitior) in rotation. The copper peptides seem to have stopped/slowed greying which has been mentioned somewhere else on this forum.

**I am making other micro and macronutrient changes and supplementing with TYROMAX, DIAMANT, CORTINON and soon KUINONE.***

My opinion is my hairloss stabilized on finesteride (tho I want to drop it) and minoxidil, LLLT, supplements, & ketoconazole shampoo. I am hesitant to drop the minoxidil and finesteride until I see any further strengthening of my hair from the hormonal side. It will be a big decision because I seem to have stopped any hairloss under this protocol. I know this by hairfall/haircount and comparing daily to an average - I have seen a very tight shower (daily) median loss of 20 visible hairs lost per day with a standard deviation of 5. I watch combing, pillow and hat to see if I am shedding which I am not. I addressed calcification & inflammation with supplements.

My real belief is that MPB has multivariable causes: I think Christopher Walker and Danny Roddy are on to something involving elevated cortisol, estrogen dominance, low thyroid, elevated PUFA, elevated prolactin, low protective hormones.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My baseline stabilization is very obvious. I have a slight additional seasonal shed in spring and fall followed by a return to the mean so to speak.

I am convinced minoxidil simply oxygenates follicles by vasodilation. If I can get the same effect from natural substances I will slowly drop minox and finesteride. My hair loss has stablilzed for 18 months now.

Full disclosure: I had 2FUT hair transplants = 5700 grafts which brought me from a Norwood ~4 to ~Norwood 2.
Though I spent a lot of time trying to halt or reverse future pattern loss at the same time. I see the fruits of this in the improved QUALITY and CALIBER of the native hair.

I look at the hair follicles once a week under usb magnification and count FU/cm2 as well as take pictures to gauge hair caliber change visually. My density in key areas has not changed much which is good. The hair caliber has increased and the inflammation is gone.

This is a great topic I hope we get a good conversation going again here. I really want to do this WITHOUT minoxidil or finesteride.

Luckytype

I use minoxidil 2x day even though it's controversial FOR NOW :handok: - I use Lipogaine in the morning and Perfect Hair 5% with azelic acid in the evening. I add Emu Oil to the evening application and spray copper peptides in the morning. I use copper peptide conditioner and Evolis Restore Conditioner (FGF-5 inhibitior) in rotation. The copper peptides seem to have stopped/slowed greying which has been mentioned somewhere else on this forum.

**I am making other micro and macronutrient changes and supplementing with TYROMAX, DIAMANT, CORTINON and soon KUINONE.***

My opinion is my hairloss stabilized on finesteride (tho I want to drop it) and minoxidil, LLLT, supplements, & ketoconazole shampoo. I am hesitant to drop the minoxidil and finesteride until I see any further strengthening of my hair from the hormonal side. It will be a big decision because I seem to have stopped any hairloss under this protocol. I know this by hairfall/haircount and comparing daily to an average - I have seen a very tight shower (daily) median loss of 20 visible hairs lost per day with a standard deviation of 5. I watch combing, pillow and hat to see if I am shedding which I am not. I addressed calcification & inflammation with supplements.

My real belief is that MPB has multivariable causes: , I think Christopher Walker and Danny Roddy are on to something involving elevated cortisol, estrogen dominance, low thyroid, elevated PUFA, elevated prolactin, low protective hormones.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My baseline stabilization is very obvious. I have a slight additional seasonal shed in spring and fall followed by a return to the mean so to speak.

I am convinced minoxidil simply oxygenates follicles by vasodilation. If I can get the same effect from natural substances I will slowly drop minox and finesteride. My hair loss has stablilzed for 18 months now.

Full disclosure: I had 2FUT hair transplants = 5700 grafts which brought me from a Norwood ~4 to ~Norwood 2.
Though I spent a lot of time trying to halt or reverse future pattern loss at the same time. I see the fruits of this in the improved QUALITY and CALIBER of the native hair.

I look at the hair follicles once a week under usb magnification and count FU/cm2 as well as take pictures to gauge hair caliber change visually. My density in key areas has not changed much which is good. The hair caliber has increased and the inflammation is gone.

This is a great topic I hope we get a good conversation going again here. I really want to do this WITHOUT minoxidil or finesteride.

Can you give us an idea of the most recent blood labs youve had done?

Hiwatt

Can you give us an idea of the most recent blood labs youve had done?

I am mid range in all areas of bloodwork so there isn't any glaring information there which isn't informative. My temps and heart rate suggested hypothyroid so I titrate Tyromax and bumped my core up to 98 from 96.8 on 12 drops per day split.

The thyroid function was low in my opinion so my plan of action surrounds that premise. I also felt estrogen dominant and extremely high CORTISOL from stress so I am working on that. I dropped ALL prescription antidepressants and that changed my life for the POSITIVE. There are too many benefits of being off Rx poison that I can write about that but the HIGH SERATONIN form SNRI probably caused hair loss as well as LOW THYROID, KETO DIET, PUFA and all the other common ties in this forum. THYROID seems most logical for me.

I am afraid to quit minoxidil and finesteride cold turkey just yet until I am ready and then see if they were irrelevant.

I combined Danny Roddy's anti inflammatory suggestions of Apegenin, Narinigen, Collagen as well as many other Peat strategies.

Luckytype

If you get a chance could we see numbers? If its not too much work for you?

I ask for 2 reasons:

1. I dont use those products but have used dietary and lifestyle changes to get my shedding down from 150 loss from just the top per day down to 20-30 as well. Ive been tracking everything for 2 years.

2. I think it would be valuable to see the actual numbers for comparisons sake and because each lab has a different "range".

If its too tedious, its totally cool. Numbers would really really help alot for the type A guys

Hiwatt

If you get a chance could we see numbers? If its not too much work for you?

I ask for 2 reasons:

1. I dont use those products but have used dietary and lifestyle changes to get my shedding down from 150 loss from just the top per day down to 20-30 as well. Ive been tracking everything for 2 years.

2. I think it would be valuable to see the actual numbers for comparisons sake and because each lab has a different "range".

If its too tedious, its totally cool. Numbers would really really help alot for the type A guys

I am going to try and get a fresh lab done soon and I will post. Then I will retest in 6 months. A lot of things are new to my regimen so I want to see a fresh before and after. Let's keep this thread going and share some good information.

Aleeri

The idea of putting a blood pressure drug on my scalp for the rest of my life really turned me off, not to mention that it makes the skin age quicker.

I just said **** it, will try to solve the diet and lifestyle stuff that got me here in the first place and then I will just get a hair transplant when I feel like I got my ***t together again. Hair cloning is not that far away either.

Really, the reality is that there are extremely few people who ever managed to reach regrowth in any form. Stopping the hair loss is more common but usually, it is done with drugs that are far from ideal that come with their own set of problems (I'd rather be bald than try finasteride).

All that money and energy spent on topicals, massages etc I think is better spent on improving your life.

chris hurley

When I first thought I was losing my hair (i actually wasn't losing it at the time ) and became paranoid about trying to reverse it i tried minoxidil on my hairline and started shedding an insane amount and did damage to my hairline, i stopped using it but the hair loss it caused never reversed. Have seen some success stories from people who had significant hairloss at the time and it helped. I wouldn't recommend it though.

Last edited:

LCohen

It's basically just a nitric oxide inducer and potassium channel opener. It can create a blood flow with a dirty way. It will damage the skin because of the NO. Plus you'll lose all your gains when you quit it.

Dissolve some caffeine, B3, aspirin, spiro, liquid progesterone, vitamin C, vitamin E (any anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory you can find) on %96 ethanol and apply it your scalp.

It's much safer, it will increase blood flow, it will also heal your skin & scalp instead of harming it.

Last edited:

Progesterone

My real belief is that MPB has multivariable causes: I think Christopher Walker and Danny Roddy are on to something involving elevated cortisol, estrogen dominance, low thyroid, elevated PUFA, elevated prolactin, low protective hormones.

Would be curious to see how you do on Progesterone instead of Fin

Hiwatt

Would be curious to see how you do on Progesterone instead of Fin

Excellent point! I am now using Cortinon > 4 drops per day in the evening topically (Prog + DHEA). It's been a couple weeks. I really want to drop the Fin but I am keeping inputs constant to see if there is an effect. I have shifted to a CO2 based approach now. I will keep updates as I have noticed very positive effects from TYROMAX, CORTINON, DIAMANT & KUINONE. I now added fat soluble E and D from Idealabs replacing my old oral vitamins. I am shifting to the liquid Idealabs supplements in this phase.

I think my pursuit of lowering estrogen, serotonin, cortisol, prolactin and increasing testosterone/estrogen ratio and working on thyroid health is working. There are a wide array of positive changes I am seeing but it is still early.

Cheers

Hiwatt

@Hiwatt , hello...was wondering if you have any side effects from finasteride? Do you use the normal dose?

I use 1mg per day prescribed by my hair restoration surgeon. I don't see any side effects of note at this point after 18 months. I still think there is a safer way but I am afraid to lose my hair again if I quit just yet. My hair loss has stopped as far as I can tell.