Has Anyone Helped Their ED With TRT?

ubiety

Information about TRT helping ED symptoms seems mixed at best, and leans towards it not helping. I'm more interested in personal experiences - has anyone found that TRT did help significantly? And if so, what's your age (or say under/over 45 if you prefer), and what TRT protocol are you using?

I've had 2 labworks done over the past 6 months from 2 different labs - the 1st, Total T = 584, and the last one in December, Total T = 816, Free T = 9.6. This large difference in results doesn't give me confidence in labs.

My ED is getting worse along with many other low T symptoms - low motivation, difficulty sleeping, mood swings, reduction in muscle mass (though I do go to the gym), reduction in testicle size, etc. My libido in terms of desire remains sufficiently high, and I'm reasonably fit.

Last edited:

Kunstruct

I believe both numbers are good, especially the 816 is very good, many would want that naturally.
As for motivation, some guys have 2000+ ng/dl from TRT and have no motivation at all, which you might have read about.
I do not have personal experience with TRT but I am not sure if this symptom is to be accounted to Total Testosterone, other symptoms can be.

Did you tested for the regular culprits? Cortisol, Estradiol, Prolactin, LH, DHT etc?

sebastian_r

You have sensitive estradiol and dht labs? Those two are far more important for sexual function than pure t levels.

OP
U

ubiety

You have sensitive estradiol and dht labs? Those two are far more important for sexual function than pure t levels.
I don't have dht numbers; estradiol was 33.3 with the December lab.
I believe both numbers are good, especially the 816 is very good, many would want that naturally.
As for motivation, some guys have 2000+ ng/dl from TRT and have no motivation at all, which you might have read about.
I do not have personal experience with TRT but I am not sure if this symptom is to be accounted to Total Testosterone, other symptoms can be.

Did you tested for the regular culprits? Cortisol, Estradiol, Prolactin, LH, DHT etc?

Of those you list, only Estradiol - was 33.3 in the December labs. I thought I read somewhere on this forum that Cortisol tests were unreliable. In the past, my Prolactin has been on the high side ~11. I take supplements discussed on this site to try to lower cortisol and prolactin. It's the increasing low T symptoms coinciding with increasing ED that make me think about TRT.

berk

What is ED? estradiol?

Kunstruct

I don't have dht numbers; estradiol was 33.3 with the December lab.

Of those you list, only Estradiol - was 33.3 in the December labs. I thought I read somewhere on this forum that Cortisol tests were unreliable. In the past, my Prolactin has been on the high side ~11. I take supplements discussed on this site to try to lower cortisol and prolactin. It's the increasing low T symptoms coinciding with increasing ED that make me think about TRT.

Actually that sort of prolactin is not high, but based on peat principles lower than that would be ideal. High prolactin is 50, 80, 100, 200, those sort of numbers, not really 6 is good and 10 is bad. Luckily you do not have a hyperprolactinemia problem like everyone thinks they have.
Maybe you E2 could go lower a bit to around 20+ but I wonder if you won't have libido issues at that point.

I know you wanted people with TRT to speak about their experience.
Do PDE5 inhibitors work on you?

maillol

With your testosterone results I doubt that's the problem. I've been going through similar symptoms myself. I got bloods and turned out I had elevated liver enzymes. I'm much better now just by taking caffeine and a basic b complex. What's your body temperature and how is your caffeine tolerance? It's a good indicator of liver health.

Kunstruct

They used to work spectacularly, now only somewhat.
Then I would say something is not so bad, but it is interesting that they don't work as good.
They can also not work depending on various things which I do not know.

Last edited:
OP
U

ubiety

With your testosterone results I doubt that's the problem. I've been going through similar symptoms myself. I got bloods and turned out I had elevated liver enzymes. I'm much better now just by taking caffeine and a basic b complex. What's your body temperature and how is your caffeine tolerance? It's a good indicator of liver health.

My temps are usually high 97's, but whenever I go to my doctor they measure about 98.2-4 - not sure why there's always a difference - I've tried different thermometers. My ALT and AST measure within a normal range, and as recently as last fall. My bloods always measure within range - they've not been helpful for my symptoms.
I drink only 1 strong cup of coffee a day, and tolerance seems good. Due to insomnia issues (have had forever) I avoid more than that. I take b vitamins.

Last edited:
OP
U

ubiety

Then I would say something is not so bad, but it is interesting that they don't work as good.
They can also not work depending on various things which I do not know.
There's a theory that one can develop tolerance to PDE5 inhibitors. Possibly, but I don't know.

Kunstruct

There's a theory that one can develop tolerance to PDE5 inhibitors. Possibly, but I don't know.
I heard people being on PDE5 inhibitors for 10-15years and working for them.
Some even theorized that lack of E2 could be the cause of them not working, I am not sure if I agree with that.

maillol

My temps are usually high 97's, but whenever I go to my doctor they measure about 98.2-4 - not sure why there's always a difference - I've tried different thermometers. My ALT and AST measure within a normal range, and as recently as last fall. My bloods always measure within range - they've not been helpful to pinpoint this problem.
I drink only 1 strong cup of coffee a day, and tolerance seems good. Due to insomnia issues (have had forever) I avoid more than that. I take b vitamins.
I have actually been sleeping much better since increasing my caffeine intake. If your sleep is bad anyway it's worth a try I'd say.

OP
U

ubiety

I heard people being on PDE5 inhibitors for 10-15years and working for them.
Some even theorized that lack of E2 could be the cause of them not working, I am not sure if I agree with that.
I'd be thrilled if they worked like they used to for me.

invictus

Long term sleep problems from untreatable bipolar illness. Gained 35 pounds over the past 8 years, metabolic syndrome and erectile problems. I know restorative sleep is critical for hormone balance but that doesn't make it any easier to achieve. On TRT for several years, prescribed by a quite knowledgeable urologist. He now suspects problems with my pituitary/hypothalamus; possibly central hypothyroidism or peripheral thyroid resistance. Try and find a doctor who will listen and work with you. They're out there but don't take insurance/big $$$$. Don't have deep pockets.