Has Anyone Found A Decent (talk) Therapist?

Acarpous

Rather, has anyone had any meaningful success with psychotherapy?

I have had one transference experience after meeting with a psychiatrist (who still does talk therapy) after approximately 3 years of tri-weekly meetings.

I have also have been called "interesting" and "very interesting", on both occasions by a female therapist/social worker.

How long do you typically wait with a therapist before moving on?

What do you look for?

Dhair

I have had one transference experience after meeting with a psychiatrist (who still does talk therapy) after approximately 3 years of tri-weekly meetings.

I have also have been called "interesting" and "very interesting", on both occasions by a female therapist/social worker.

What do you look for?
Find someone you can connect with. Don't be afraid to tell a therapist, "I don't think this is working for me."
I have a great one that I see occasionally. This may sound odd, but he looks healthy, and this is important to me. Talking to a vibrant person who is brimming with life is inspiring and invigorating. He knows I'm broke, and he doesn't charge me to see him. I'm very lucky.
It can be hard to find someone who speaks the same language as you, if that makes any sense. My advice is to get a feel for the person. Being a male, I have done much better with a male therapist than any of the female therapists I've seen. I feel this is important, but you may feel differently.
The process is different for everyone. Most of my time spent talking with a therapist is him reassuring me that the sky is not in fact falling. I would say I'm prone to anxiety and depression, but I've never been formally diagnosed in adulthood. I wouldn't waste too much time on finding someone who "specializes" in your particular issue. An underlying connection is far more important . I hope this helps.

Frankdee20

Talk Therapy is a sham. People get better and overcome their problems with insight that no therapist could ever cram down their throats

Frankdee20

If it were not for the DSM, they’d have no profession

Hugh Johnson

Three sessions. If you don't have results by then, you never will.

If you are depressed and go to a talk therapist, the only thing you are likely to do is learn be be depressed as you keep putting yourself into that ego state. A psychotherapist will spend decades squeezing money out of people with no change.

Frankdee20

Three sessions. If you don't have results by then, you never will.

If you are depressed and go to a talk therapist, the only thing you are likely to do is learn be be depressed as you keep putting yourself into that ego state. A psychotherapist will spend decades squeezing money out of people with no change.

+1

Elie

Forum Supporter

What do you look for?

This is a colleague of mine who I recommend http://www.holistic-counseling.ca/
He works by skype and the like. Generally his methodology yields results quickly.

denise

I've always hated regular talk therapy. I watched my parents waste tons of $ on it.

If I work with someone, it's gotta be someone who's working with the body (for example, a somatic experiencing practitioner). You can talk till the cows come home, but if that trauma's still stuck in your body, it's not going to solve anything.

Frankdee20

I've always hated regular talk therapy. I watched my parents waste tons of $ on it.

If I work with someone, it's gotta be someone who's working with the body (for example, a somatic experiencing practitioner). You can talk till the cows come home, but if that trauma's still stuck in your body, it's not going to solve anything.
10 years and handful of therapists did absolutely nothing for me.

biggirlkisss

you have to work with people that have long experience and can work with you to reduce stress in your life.

Elie

Forum Supporter
This is a colleague of mine who I recommend http://www.holistic-counseling.ca/
He works by skype and the like. Generally his methodology yields results quickly.
The vis (life force) dialogue is design to uncover the subconscious beliefs that create the blockages that result in somatic (bodily) or emotional manifestations.
I personally also experienced some (subjective) relief with a technique called Body Talk. But i believe the first methodology is more fundemental.