Has Anyone Fixed Thyroid & Corrected Estrogen Dominance?

Peata

Anyone been able to correct their thyroid and as a result, the same with estrogen dominance?

I'm just wondering if a natural outcome of better thyroid is going to be that estrogen and progesterone gets balanced? Or does it have to work the other way around - you must get your estrogen balanced before thyroid benefits?

I read something by RP that high estrogen slows the thyroid. I don't think my estrogen is "too high" just that progesterone has been too low. I've taken a lot of Progest-E this 2nd half of cycle and not sure it's helped as much as I would like with certain symptoms. However, temps and pulse seem pretty good. Things are improving - I can slowly but surely see outer third of eyebrows filling in, hairs filling in around hairline, etc.

All this stuff is connected. But I'm hoping sometime there will be less estrogen dominance symptoms to look forward to.

messtafarian

Hi Peata:

The issue though is that if you are estrogen dominant, not enough estrogen has been clearing your system month after month and it gets stored in cells. So while your circulating estrogen has not been "too high" -- the overall estrogen as balanced to progesterone in your cells ( essentially your fat cells) actually is in fact now too high. So this is a slow haul. You treat with progesterone to challenge the circulating and stored estrogen as it is lifted when free fatty acids are released.

Thyroid and estrogen balance work together. Taking thyroid can help because it basically speeds the process of cell respiration and repair -- your metabolism. But also: The action of challenging estrogen with progesterone in itself is helpful because estrogen is anti-thyroid. So progesterone can correct thyroid metabolism and thyroid hormone can speed the metabolism to clear estrogen.

This all just takes a while I mean a while -- like probably a year.

One way to really get the ball rolling chemically would be to drop all fat and protein from the diet and live on fruit alone. The problem with this though is that eventually it crashes the thyroid and causes muscle wasting. Short term, though, that strategy does work because the liver has close to nothing else to do but clear stored estrogen. That's really one of the basic mechanisms of the Gerson protocol for cancer.

OP
Peata

Peata

Thank you for your reply. It's given me a lot to think about, and helped me piece some things together that I've read before. I think sometimes it just takes someone saying the right thing at the right time to make something stick - even if you've heard or read it. I know that I take in so much info, but it seems like bits and pieces on the net, and then combined with RP articles, it's easy to overlook or forget something, or see how it's connected.

Anyway, I think your post helped me connect some things and I have a plan. I started tweaking my diet yesterday, so I'll definitely watch for improvement.

metabolicgiant

Diet is a powerful controller of physiology, but a commonly overlooked factor is the unique individuality of our own genetic code.

There exists a common (est. 45% of the population) that suffers from a gene mutation (MTHFR) which results in an impaired folic acid metabolism. This has huge implications for the thyroid and for estrogen regulation. The problem is that the MTHFR enzyme is required for the methylation of folate which converts it to the active form. Other nutrients require methylation to become active - but a common one is b12. Methylation is also important for heavy metal detox and regulating neurotransmitters.

I think Ray is correct on a lot of stuff, but his suggestion to avoid leafy greens means that a person deficient in folate had better eat a lot of liver, or else they will exacerbate the problem. High PUFA diet will also worsen the condition for anyone with MTHFR deficiency, and avoiding sources of estrogen is also extremely important.

Ray's advice is mostly good for someone suffering from MTHFR, but once someone can see their problems outlined in the context of genetics they can work around the problems specifically affecting them. Many people likely have a combination of genetic mutations (polymorphisms) that could interact with a diet that is recommended without first looking at these factors.

Testing is available from 23andme.com and then once you get the raw data you can upload it to other databases to find out about possible methylation issues.

Resources: http://mthfr.net/mthfr-and-thyroid-diso ... 013/07/18/

jyb

messtafarian said:
One way to really get the ball rolling chemically would be to drop all fat and protein from the diet and live on fruit alone. The problem with this though is that eventually it crashes the thyroid and causes muscle wasting. Short term, though, that strategy does work because the liver has close to nothing else to do but clear stored estrogen. That's really one of the basic mechanisms of the Gerson protocol for cancer.

But doesn't the liver need (a lot of) protein for it to work? Part of the filtering requires proteins. I think RP wrote about this, the protein is not just about muscles.

messtafarian

jyb said:
But doesn't the liver need (a lot of) protein for it to work? Part of the filtering requires proteins. I think RP wrote about this, the protein is not just about muscles.

Yep. That's why you see people all over the internet getting all glowy and thin and pleased with themselves when they start eating vegan or become fruitarians or raw foodists. It's a very strong cleansing effect but eventually everybody needs protein.

On the Gerson protocol potatoes are emphasized after a period of juice cleansing. He never liked animal proteins for some reason but there is a protein component even there.

Bluebell

messtafarian said:

Just wondering, messtafarian, so are you saying that the estrogen is the main cause of cancer in these cases; or is it all the various toxins?

And fat and protein are quite a lot for the liver to deal with then - they would significantly slow down the liver's processing of toxins?

gretchen

Thanks messtafarian, I thought about doing a cleanse last spring but thought I'd cause more harm going off the protein. Definitely my progress is slow; I've gotten really tired of the itching and various other estrogen dominance symptoms so this is something I might try.

When you say short-term, do you mean like 10 days or more like a month?