Has Anyone Ever Taken 5g+ Niacinamide In One Sitting?

meatbag

If anyone has taken this amount, please let me know any side effects or good effects you experienced. Thanks

Hans

Forum Supporter
If anyone has taken this amount, please let me know any side effects or good effects you experienced. Thanks
Have taken 3g in one sitting and no side effects. Can't say I felt much either. Maybe more relaxed. Haven't done it long term so can't comment on that.

OP
meatbag

meatbag

ok thanks guys.

Yeah I was having trouble shaking case of strep. Took about 5g over the course of an hour. Feeling a lot better, didn't really notice any sides

SOMO

If I take more than 200mg of Niacinamide in the span of a few hours I get itchy, dry rash/dermatitis.

One time I gave my partner 1 gram of Niacinamide at once and he got the same rash from head to toe.

Niacinamide is a common ingredient in lotions, but when I apply it to my skin, me and a small percentage of people, get red skin and clusters of small white pimples.

mrchibbs

I routinely took that amount when I discovered orthomolecular medecine. At least 3g niacinamide per day along with 1g+ Vitamin B6. Actually I probably took niacin in those days, and stopped because the flush was really not enjoyable. No other side effects and some pretty clear

I’m not doing that anymore, but I think it’s pretty clear that ‘’unphysiological” doses of vitamins and minerals can be therapeutic. Orthomolecular medecine researchers even coined the term ‘dependency’ instead of mere deficiency.

homyak

I routinely took that amount when I discovered orthomolecular medecine. At least 3g niacinamide per day along with 1g+ Vitamin B6. Actually I probably took niacin in those days, and stopped because the flush was really not enjoyable. No other side effects and some pretty clear

I’m not doing that anymore, but I think it’s pretty clear that ‘’unphysiological” doses of vitamins and minerals can be therapeutic. Orthomolecular medecine researchers even coined the term ‘dependency’ instead of mere deficiency.

What issues were you trying to resolve, if you may?

mrchibbs

What issues were you trying to resolve, if you may?

Preliminary signs of the full blown health collapse I was to experience about 2 years after. I had premature hair loss (happened suddenly at 21) which wasn’t really resolving, and this was when I was about 23-24, I also had resurgent acne, extreme fatigue, and low libido. A girl at my uni turned me on to the orthomolecular medecine world of supplementing large doses of minerals and vitamins. I think it was a step in the right direction. I remember that large doses of B3, B6, Zinc gave me better libido, hair grew back, and funnily enough I had no body hair. 3-4 years later and I have a significant amount (not overly hairy, but I went from nothing to sizeable amount within 2 years of illness in my mid20s)

Velve921

Im the one rare case I’ve come across so far.

If I take more than 50mg of niacinamide in a day, I sleep terrible. My heart rate will be pumping like crazy all through the night.

There is no other supplement that ramps my metabolism so much where I do not enjoy it.

I find it interesting that people can feel so calm and relaxed from it as it does the complete opposite to me.

TheSir

Im the one rare case I’ve come across so far.

If I take more than 50mg of niacinamide in a day, I sleep terrible. My heart rate will be pumping like crazy all through the night.

There is no other supplement that ramps my metabolism so much where I do not enjoy it.

I find it interesting that people can feel so calm and relaxed from it as it does the complete opposite to me.
That sounds like issue with blood sugar, as niacinamide enhances glucose oxidation. Sometimes at night my heart starts beating faster than normal and I can't seem to relax enough to fall asleep. Eating something resolves it.

Velve921

That sounds like issue with blood sugar, as niacinamide enhances glucose oxidation. Sometimes at night my heart starts beating faster than normal and I can't seem to relax enough to fall asleep. Eating something resolves it.

I agree and that makes sense. I’ve tried ramping my food intake to coincide with B3. However, no matter how much I’ve experimented with it these past few years, I never remember a good reaction from it.

Spartan300

@Hans has pointed out in a different discussion that I may be experiencing an issue with the inefficiency of glucolysis vs oxidative phosphorylation would this explain the problem @Velve921 is seeing?

I ask because I took 150mg niacinamide last night before bed and had one of the worst night's sleep I have had in a couple of months.

nigma

I seem to need 500mg niacinamide to feel normal, matching what Abram Hoffer regarded as 'dependency'. Recently have moved to 500mg across the day rather than in one hit at breakfast. I add 500mg to a bottle of water and sip through the day. Very good so far.

Hans

Forum Supporter
@Hans has pointed out in a different discussion that I may be experiencing an issue with the inefficiency of glucolysis vs oxidative phosphorylation would this explain the problem @Velve921 is seeing?

I ask because I took 150mg niacinamide last night before bed and had one of the worst night's sleep I have had in a couple of months.
Niacinamide "uses up" the SAMe in methylation and this can increase homocysteine, histamine, estrogen, dopamine, etc. So with some with already high dopamine, histamine, serotonin, etc., niacinamide might make them feel worse through that mechanism.

Spartan300

Thanks @Hans, frustrating that so many things that are supposed to help seem to work in reverse for some (me).

nigma

Niacinamide "uses up" the SAMe in methylation and this can increase homocysteine, histamine, estrogen, dopamine, etc. So with some with already high dopamine, histamine, serotonin, etc., niacinamide might make them feel worse through that mechanism.

I should have mentioned my 500mg niacinamide over the course of a day, is supported by 3x 500mg trimethylglycine (TMG) to balance methylation since niacin is a methyl sink. Otherwise, after a few weeks on just niacinamide, I become the walking dead.

Hans

Forum Supporter
I should have mentioned my 500mg niacinamide over the course of a day, is supported by 3x 500mg trimethylglycine (TMG) to balance methylation since niacin is a methyl sink. Otherwise, after a few weeks on just niacinamide, I become the walking dead.
Have you tried a 1:1 ratio as well, or did experimentation lead you to that ratio?

nigma

Have you tried a 1:1 ratio as well, or did experimentation lead you to that ratio?

I haven't tried 1:1. My 3x500mg TMG comes from the fact that one of the highest sources is wheat bread, and when I used to eat a loaf of bread a day, that was when I felt best. But since I try to avoid gluten generally, I've changed my staple carbs to rice and potatoes, which are not as rich sources of TMG, rice having basically zero (Betaine in Cereal Grains and Grain-Based Products), and potato 0.2 mg/100g (Potatoes, white, flesh and skin, raw [Includes USDA commodity food A215] Nutrition Facts & Calories).

According to wikipedia:
In addition to sugar beets, betaine (TMG) is high in other foods such as wheat bran (1,330 mg/100 g), wheatgerm (1,241 mg/100 g), spinach (600 mg/100 g), beets(250 mg/100 g),and wheatbread(200 mg/100 g)

So if an average loaf of bread weighs 600g, that works out to ~1.2g TMG. This is quite a large amount!

Food sources of TMG Foods highest in Betaine
foods-07-00049-g001.jpg

I suspect this could be an important factor to consider when switching to a gluten-free diet (peating), especially if your ancestry consumed a lot of bread. But I haven't seen this discussed, which is surprising given the amount of attention methylation has been getting in various health-focused communities.

One's intake of TMG will affect their acetylcholine synthesis, so if someone switches to a gluten-free diet and notices a large drop in their cognitive abilities that are related to acetylcholine (visual and verbal memory, processing speed), they should consider their intake of choline/TMG. Chris Masterjohn actually has a calculator that calculates your choline requirement based on your own sequenced DNA data. According to that, I need the equivilent of 9 eggs a day!