Has anybody had experience curing their OCD?

Jinzo

I have had it since I was a kid. Now it is getting unbearably bad. Does anybody know the underlying mechanisms and treatment for OCD? Or have any theories?

gaze

magnesium, vitamin b1, vitamin D, and selenium really help.

youngsinatra

I know from myself that I get more OCD-type behavior, neuroticism and perfectionism, when my serotonin is subjectively elevated. Typically by gut irritation or things that promote serotonin. (SSRI was the worst)

It drives me into this rigid thinking, habit tracking and stuff like that. Also drove me into self-development, which became sort of toxic over time.

For me B1, B3, magnesium, vitamin D, K2 seems to help pretty well. Also 3g of taurine seems to reduce some of the anxiety-aspects of OCD type behavior. But I need to keep the diet simple and gut-friendly to maintain mental well-being.

OP
Jinzo

Jinzo

I know from myself that I get more OCD-type behavior, neuroticism and perfectionism, when my serotonin is subjectively elevated. Typically by gut irritation or things that promote serotonin. (SSRI was the worst)

It drives me into this rigid thinking, habit tracking and stuff like that. Also drove me into self-development, which became sort of toxic over time.

For me B1, B3, magnesium, vitamin D, K2 seems to help pretty well. Also 3g of taurine seems to reduce some of the anxiety-aspects of OCD type behavior. But I need to keep the diet simple and gut-friendly to maintain mental well-being.
How would you describe how you feel when your serotonin is suspected to be elevated?

Sergey

I have had it since I was a kid. Now it is getting unbearably bad. Does anybody know the underlying mechanisms and treatment for OCD? Or have any theories?
Look at strep overgrowth in your gut or throat. Herpes type 1 also seem to correlate with OCDs.
Both strep and herpes are associated with candida which can be a common denominator in all this.

Among other things, candida can interfere, with taurine metabolism. And herpes, among other things, up-regulates serotonin synthesis and transport.

shine

OCD can be an early manifestation of vitamin B12 deficiency in the CNS/spinal fluid. Your blood levels can be normal but you can still be deficient in the CNS. High doses of sublingual methyl-B12 can help.

Myo-inositol is also helpful for OCD.

Lactobacillus rhamnosus has been studied in rodents and prevented OCD induction.

OP
Jinzo

Jinzo

Look at strep overgrowth in your gut or throat. Herpes type 1 also seem to correlate with OCDs.
Both strep and herpes are associated with candida which can be a common denominator in all this.

Among other things, candida can interfere, with taurine metabolism. And herpes, among other things, up-regulates serotonin synthesis and transport.
Oh wow that's very interesting. I had very very frequent sore throats growing up, up until I had my tonsils and adenoids removed. Close to once a month some years that always lasted 3-5 days. Almost always negative for strep though. If this is the case what would you recommend I do? At least supplementing with taurine seems like it would help

OP
Jinzo

Jinzo

OCD can be an early manifestation of vitamin B12 deficiency in the CNS/spinal fluid. Your blood levels can be normal but you can still be deficient in the CNS. High doses of sublingual methyl-B12 can help.

Myo-inositol is also helpful for OCD.

Lactobacillus rhamnosus has been studied in rodents and prevented OCD induction.
I have taken b12 in the past, but have stopped in recent years which could be why it has gotten so bad lately. I will look into these thank you.

Sergey

Oh wow that's very interesting. I had very very frequent sore throats growing up, up until I had my tonsils and adenoids removed. Close to once a month some years that always lasted 3-5 days. Almost always negative for strep though. If this is the case what would you recommend I do? At least supplementing with taurine seems like it would help
I don’t trust negative tests results too much, they don’t rule things out quite often.
When I was a child my tests were often “negative” until we specifically asked for fungal culture - there its was. Out of hundreds of microbial species which live in the mouth and upper respiratory tract test would only culture couple of dozens. “Harmless” corynebacterium or propionibacterium acnes would not show up in those tests.
And inflamed tonsils are often a viral infection, not bacterial. Or a combination. Googling pairs of different microbes reveals very interesting world of cross dependence between species. Chasing strep with antibiotics will not kill candida, which strep really likes to befriend. Herpes residing in candidal biofilms will not be affected by antivirals, etc. Thats why, I think, most conventional treatments are only helpful short term. And killing is very tough even with the case of isolated microbe - imagine one kills candida albicans with strong antifungals, its place could be taken by candida glabrata which doesn’t give a damn about most antifungals. It will produce tons of histamine, person will embark on histamine avoidance diet, and so it goes.
I don’t have a magic protocol for these issues, would like to find it myself. With all the dependencies between microbes and inability to maintain a sterile state of mucosal membranes for a long time, I believe the best strategy could be repopulating, not eradicating. Simple things, like foods we eat and how we cook them can have a huge impact on all this. Try eliminating all cold drinks and foods and only eat/drink things which are warm/comfortably hot. Just that can significantly reduce staph load in the throat. Vitamin D status is very important for issues like adenoids growth. Eliminating food which “creates dampness” according to Chinese medicine can do wonders. Boiled ginger, lamb stock - that kind of things. Things like vitamin k2 and iodine which play crucial role in natural microbial defence in the upper gi and respiratory tract are probably important too.
When it comes to herpes, dietary regime is very important. Arginine to lysine ratio, avoiding common triggers, avoiding high citrulline foods like watermelons, squashes and even cucumbers are important.
Oral probiotics can play a role too. L. Sakei, L. Reuteri, etc.
Are your teeth and gums healthy?

OP
Jinzo

Jinzo

I don’t trust negative tests results too much, they don’t rule things out quite often.
When I was a child my tests were often “negative” until we specifically asked for fungal culture - there its was. Out of hundreds of microbial species which live in the mouth and upper respiratory tract test would only culture couple of dozens. “Harmless” corynebacterium or propionibacterium acnes would not show up in those tests.
And inflamed tonsils are often a viral infection, not bacterial. Or a combination. Googling pairs of different microbes reveals very interesting world of cross dependence between species. Chasing strep with antibiotics will not kill candida, which strep really likes to befriend. Herpes residing in candidal biofilms will not be affected by antivirals, etc. Thats why, I think, most conventional treatments are only helpful short term. And killing is very tough even with the case of isolated microbe - imagine one kills candida albicans with strong antifungals, its place could be taken by candida glabrata which doesn’t give a damn about most antifungals. It will produce tons of histamine, person will embark on histamine avoidance diet, and so it goes.
I don’t have a magic protocol for these issues, would like to find it myself. With all the dependencies between microbes and inability to maintain a sterile state of mucosal membranes for a long time, I believe the best strategy could be repopulating, not eradicating. Simple things, like foods we eat and how we cook them can have a huge impact on all this. Try eliminating all cold drinks and foods and only eat/drink things which are warm/comfortably hot. Just that can significantly reduce staph load in the throat. Vitamin D status is very important for issues like adenoids growth. Eliminating food which “creates dampness” according to Chinese medicine can do wonders. Boiled ginger, lamb stock - that kind of things. Things like vitamin k2 and iodine which play crucial role in natural microbial defence in the upper gi and respiratory tract are probably important too.
When it comes to herpes, dietary regime is very important. Arginine to lysine ratio, avoiding common triggers, avoiding high citrulline foods like watermelons, squashes and even cucumbers are important.
Oral probiotics can play a role too. L. Sakei, L. Reuteri, etc.
Are your teeth and gums healthy?
Oh man I get a fungus on a couple different toes from time to time too.
No gums are not healthy. The gums bleed pretty every morning for the last 1-2 years and are receding. Teeth I think are relatively healthy, stained a little yellow, but no cavities or anything and seem strong.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Yes! I thought this would never happen. Right before the pandemic started last year, It was pretty much over my OCD. My friends were shouting at me telling me that now is not the time to stop carrying hand sanitizers...

Thyroid! It is clear to me that when I take thyroid, OCD and germaphobia become more controlled. When I stop thyroid, they reappear but to a less crippling extent than before.

OP
Jinzo

Jinzo

Yes! I thought this would never happen. Right before the pandemic started last year, It was pretty much over my OCD. My friends were shouting at me telling me that now is not the time to stop carrying hand sanitizers...

Thyroid! It is clear to me that when I take thyroid, OCD and germaphobia become more controlled. When I stop thyroid, they reappear but to a less crippling extent than before.
Dang thyroid seems to affect pretty much everything haha. I am actually going to get my cholesterol and get bloods done soon I think to check it out and see if I need to try NDT or something to bring it into normal function again. Been so stressed lately my temps suck, but my pulse is up so thats weird maybe adrenaline or something.

Mito

Does anybody know the underlying mechanisms and treatment for OCD? Or have any theories?

Abstract​

Vitamin and homocysteine (Hcy) alternations have been associated with psychiatric disorders. The aim of this meta-analysis was to assess the association of serum vitamin and Hcy levels with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). Following PRISMA protocol, we used the databases including Scopus, PubMed, Google Scholar, and Web of Science with no time restriction. Data were pooled using a random-effects model and/or fixed-effects model to estimate the standard mean difference (SMD) for evaluation of the strength of association analyses. Our data showed a significant reduction in vitamin B12 (SMD = -0.58, 95% CI = -1.08 to -0.08, p = 0.02, I2 = 65%; pheterogeneity = 0.06), vitamin E (SMD = -0.89, 95% CI = -1.23 to -0.56, p < 0.00001, I2 = 23%; pheterogeneity = 0.26), and vitamin C (SMD = -1.40, 95% CI = -2.44 to -0.36, p = 0.008, I2 = 92%; pheterogeneity < 0.0001) in OCD patients. In addition, the findings showed significantly higher levels of Hcy (SMD = 1.11, 95% CI = [0.48, 1.75], p = 0.0006, I2 = 73%; ph = 0.02) in patients compared to controls. Also, our data showed that vitamin B9 and D levels are not associated with OCD (vitamin B9: SMD = -0.23, 95% CI = -1.01 to 0.55, p = 0.56, I2 = 88%; pheterogeneity < 0.0001; vitamin D: SMD = -0.63, 95% CI = -1.41 to 0.15, p = 0.11, I2 = 88%; pheterogeneity = 0.0002). Our findings support significant impacts of Hcy and vitamin B12, E, and C levels in OCD pathogenesis. This will be important for prevention and treatment of OCD. However, further studies are recommended to elucidate more accurate conclusions.

OP
Jinzo

Jinzo

Abstract​

Vitamin and homocysteine (Hcy) alternations have been associated with psychiatric disorders. The aim of this meta-analysis was to assess the association of serum vitamin and Hcy levels with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). Following PRISMA protocol, we used the databases including Scopus, PubMed, Google Scholar, and Web of Science with no time restriction. Data were pooled using a random-effects model and/or fixed-effects model to estimate the standard mean difference (SMD) for evaluation of the strength of association analyses. Our data showed a significant reduction in vitamin B12 (SMD = -0.58, 95% CI = -1.08 to -0.08, p = 0.02, I2 = 65%; pheterogeneity = 0.06), vitamin E (SMD = -0.89, 95% CI = -1.23 to -0.56, p < 0.00001, I2 = 23%; pheterogeneity = 0.26), and vitamin C (SMD = -1.40, 95% CI = -2.44 to -0.36, p = 0.008, I2 = 92%; pheterogeneity < 0.0001) in OCD patients. In addition, the findings showed significantly higher levels of Hcy (SMD = 1.11, 95% CI = [0.48, 1.75], p = 0.0006, I2 = 73%; ph = 0.02) in patients compared to controls. Also, our data showed that vitamin B9 and D levels are not associated with OCD (vitamin B9: SMD = -0.23, 95% CI = -1.01 to 0.55, p = 0.56, I2 = 88%; pheterogeneity < 0.0001; vitamin D: SMD = -0.63, 95% CI = -1.41 to 0.15, p = 0.11, I2 = 88%; pheterogeneity = 0.0002). Our findings support significant impacts of Hcy and vitamin B12, E, and C levels in OCD pathogenesis. This will be important for prevention and treatment of OCD. However, further studies are recommended to elucidate more accurate conclusions.
Great stuff thank you!

Melekai

Oh man I get a fungus on a couple different toes from time to time too.
No gums are not healthy. The gums bleed pretty every morning for the last 1-2 years and are receding. Teeth I think are relatively healthy, stained a little yellow, but no cavities or anything and seem strong.
I get excellent results from oil pulling (extensive, vigorous mouthwashing w/coconut oil, for antimicrobial action) for my gums.

lampofred

I think coffee seemingly paradoxically decreases obsessiveness while increasing alertness at the same time.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals