Has Anybody Cured Their Depression?

OP
Dopamine

Dopamine

Stark Raving Flab: My Personal Experience with Niacin and Depression
http://shabbygoat.com/food-health/niacin-depression-cure/
DoctorYourself.com - Niacin Therapy Details
Niacin User Reviews for Depression at Drugs.com

These are some of the testimonials I mentioned earlier of people curing their depression with vitamin B3 (P.S. Read the comments). Most people use niacin as per Abram Hoffers work but I think he said niacinamide works just as well but doesn't lower cholesterol. Ray recommends niacinamide over niacin because the niacin flush is caused by prostaglandin release I believe. Then again this effect seems to build tolerance and niacin shouldn't cause so much flushing after having used it for a while at a consistent dose.

I'm still experimenting myself.

OP
Dopamine

Dopamine

I'm dissapointed that niacinamide is not working anymore :(

I'm going to try greatly increasing the amount I exercise because I have become a couch potato. I used to play lots of sports before getting more into video games and becoming depressed and inactive. I have seen studies showing exercise works better than antidepressants maybe by increasing heart rate, dopamine, improving insulin sensitivity etc... That's the last idea I have for myself except maybe buying a blue light lamp for seasonal affective disorder though I don't think that's Peat approved...

I was more active on the days I felt good so maybe that's it.

Last edited:

Mufasa

I'm going to try greatly increasing the amount I exercise because I have become a couch potato. I used to play lots of sports before getting more into video games and becoming depressed and inactive. I have seen studies showing exercise works better than antidepressants maybe by increasing heart rate, dopamine, improving insulin sensitivity etc... That's the last idea I have for myself except maybe buying a blue light lamp for seasonal affective disorder though I don't think that's Peat approved...

Doing yoga 5 times a week has helped me go further away from depression than I hav ever been.

I often do hot yoga (40 degree room heated with infrared light). I think this kind of exercise is way more healthy than other more competitive forms of ecercise.

sladerunner69

I fixed my depression mainly with pregnenlone and caffiene. Also getting enough fat solubles mostly through food but also with some supplements. Methylene blue helps me feel euphoric, so does small doses of dhea. bag breathing for c02 in front of a bright 250w red bulb also helps me to feel in control and ready to make th emost out of life. I was deeply struggling with depression before Peat, as I came out of post-finasteride. The other thing tha tmakes a huge difference is 5a-dhp or androsterone, they both have different feelings but both just totally reverse any depressive thoughts and feels. Aspirin also makes me feel really good.

all of these supplements can certainly help set the stage, but it is still up to you to play the part and live a stimulating, meaningful life. Important not to overlook that part, its easier said than done and can take practice. Talk to new people, find a new passion, search for the natural beauty in everything. The world is an absolute marvel and it yearns to be appreciated, doing so will lead reciprocating returns.

scarlettsmum

Sorry to hear it stopped working for you. I hope you figure it for yourself and please keep us posted. Btw. I have blue lamp 10.000 lux for SAD but it doesn't do much for me, just my experience. I prefer red light. I considered whether it's just me being ungrateful, having negative thoughts, but I have physical symptoms as well and I think for me it's hormonal, perimenapause. I think I'm going to seek help now. Someone mentioned Lita Lee on here, so I'm considering her. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm sick of hearing people telling me it's all in my head.

EIRE24

I fixed my depression mainly with pregnenlone and caffiene. Also getting enough fat solubles mostly through food but also with some supplements. Methylene blue helps me feel euphoric, so does small doses of dhea. bag breathing for c02 in front of a bright 250w red bulb also helps me to feel in control and ready to make th emost out of life. I was deeply struggling with depression before Peat, as I came out of post-finasteride. The other thing tha tmakes a huge difference is 5a-dhp or androsterone, they both have different feelings but both just totally reverse any depressive thoughts and feels. Aspirin also makes me feel really good.

all of these supplements can certainly help set the stage, but it is still up to you to play the part and live a stimulating, meaningful life. Important not to overlook that part, its easier said than done and can take practice. Talk to new people, find a new passion, search for the natural beauty in everything. The world is an absolute marvel and it yearns to be appreciated, doing so will lead reciprocating returns.
Sounds like you have it down. What does your daily diet look like?

Constatine

Sorry to hear it stopped working for you. I hope you figure it for yourself and please keep us posted. Btw. I have blue lamp 10.000 lux for SAD but it doesn't do much for me, just my experience. I prefer red light. I considered whether it's just me being ungrateful, having negative thoughts, but I have physical symptoms as well and I think for me it's hormonal, perimenapause. I think I'm going to seek help now. Someone mentioned Lita Lee on here, so I'm considering her. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm sick of hearing people telling me it's all in my head.
What type of environment do you live in? If you can afford to do it, get at least 8 hours of sunlight a day (without sunglasses). Sunlight is far more effective than any bright light therapy. It's obviously very hard to get so much sunshine though as we all have jobs, lives, and perhaps cold weather. But sunshine is the one consistent way of curing depression in my experience.

DaveFoster

How much MB do you take, slade?

scarlettsmum

What type of environment do you live in? If you can afford to do it, get at least 8 hours of sunlight a day (without sunglasses). Sunlight is far more effective than any bright light therapy. It's obviously very hard to get so much sunshine though as we all have jobs, lives, and perhaps cold weather. But sunshine is the one consistent way of curing depression in my experience.
I live in Europe, 8 hours of sunshine would be great, but impossible. I do find winters very depressing, my health mental state and health suffers. I am trying to force myself to go out every day for a walk, cold or not, but it doesn't seem to be enough.

Mufasa

I live in Europe, 8 hours of sunshine would be great, but impossible. I do find winters very depressing, my health mental state and health suffers. I am trying to force myself to go out every day for a walk, cold or not, but it doesn't seem to be enough.

What do you do for a living?

I have an infrared light desk lamp (from redlightman) at my desk at the office. Works great for me, Im rarely outside at all this winter.

I use infrared because red light made coworkers bit uncomfortable.

sladerunner69

How much MB do you take, slade?

Just one drop of oxidal in the morning... I tried a couple drops and felt a bit artificial and then a few hours later had gnarly anxiety, almost had a panic attack. Im not positive if the anxiety was related to the MB tbh, I had taken a lot of supps that day and had copious coffees.

Now it feels nice, I think it helps me stay in a positive mood and contributes to that Peaty euphoria.

Sounds like you have it down. What does your daily diet look like?

Ideally, I want it to look a lot like Danny Roddy's reccomendations. My mainstay is trader joe's unpasteurized orange juice, but sometimes I will pop open a can of concentrate. I try to keep a jar of homemade marmalade and eat it with aged parmesan, but some days I just mix barbecue sauce with onions and cheddar. I would like to drink a gallon of 1% grassmilk daily, but my budget typically beckons the 2.50$ gallon at Walmart. I like to think I get a lot carbs through tropical fruits like cheromoya and white sapotes, however msot of my calories come from cans of sugar pepsi. Before bed I love three twins organic caramel ice cream, but sam's club has decent ingredients too.

One thing I don't skimp on is my coffe. Or should I drink cafe. I only accept the finest dark roasted beans in my self grinding premium capresso 7000 machine. I love this thing the coffee is conjures up is just divine. I mix with gelatin and white sugar.

Regina

I'm doing a very similar stack of things. I wasn't depressed but I was catabolic with anxiety and with too much vulnerability. These dietary, supplements and lifestyle shifts have changed that around considerably. But I think I would still have the anxiety without aikido. It still remains the most important piece for me. I love the physical connection.

scarlettsmum

What do you do for a living?

I have an infrared light desk lamp (from redlightman) at my desk at the office. Works great for me, Im rarely outside at all this winter.

I use infrared because red light made coworkers bit uncomfortable.
I do admin for my husband from home so I do keep the SAD light on because red light (also purchased from redlightman) is too loud for my liking. However if the red light should make a bigger difference then I might try to push through the noise and keep it on all day. Also I thought the device needs to be in a very close proximity, so just keeping it on my desk switched on is sufficient? I guess the red light would have to shine on me directly? Mine is sitting on its back shining upwards if I don't hold it up to a body part.

DaveFoster

Just one drop of oxidal in the morning... I tried a couple drops and felt a bit artificial and then a few hours later had gnarly anxiety, almost had a panic attack. Im not positive if the anxiety was related to the MB tbh, I had taken a lot of supps that day and had copious coffees.

Now it feels nice, I think it helps me stay in a positive mood and contributes to that Peaty euphoria.
Interesting; I really don't like higher dose MB. 100 mcg seems enough for me, but the research urges my autism to push higher.

sladerunner69

Interesting; I really don't like higher dose MB. 100 mcg seems enough for me, but the research urges my autism to push higher.

I dont knw if Id even be able to notice 100mcg. 400mcg just gives me a slight euphoria, 800 was likely too much but I am inclined to try 2 drops aagai jsut to see what ehappens, maybe i jumped the gun banishing the higher dose...

Pet Peeve

I'm very sensitive to glutamate in foods, like MSG, it put's me in a horrible state. I haven't taken any l-lysine for a long while and tried some after reading about all the benefits on this board. I got a glutamate reaction from it and searched the net and found this link which I posted in another thread: The essential amino acid lysine acts as precursor of glutamate in the mammalian central nervous system. - PubMed - NCBI

To my surprise it actually lifted a depression and I didn't feel bad at all after a while. I thought all the peaty stuff I've been doing the last year lowered my stresshormones and I was supposed to feel this way because of this. The lysine must have acted on some other glutamate receptor than the food additives. I've taken a lot of both tianeptine and cyproheptadine, these drugs must have lowered my brain glutamate. Lysine set me straight again.

L

lollipop

I'm very sensitive to glutamate in foods, like MSG, it put's me in a horrible state. I haven't taken any l-lysine for a long while and tried some after reading about all the benefits on this board. I got a glutamate reaction from it and searched the net and found this link which I posted in another thread: The essential amino acid lysine acts as precursor of glutamate in the mammalian central nervous system. - PubMed - NCBI

To my surprise it actually lifted a depression and I didn't feel bad at all after a while. I thought all the peaty stuff I've been doing the last year lowered my stresshormones and I was supposed to feel this way because of this. The lysine must have acted on some other glutamate receptor than the food additives. I've taken a lot of both tianeptine and cyproheptadine, these drugs must have lowered my brain glutamate. Lysine set me straight again.
@Pet Peeve would lysine's serotonin lowering effects have had anything to do with your experience?

Pet Peeve

@Pet Peeve would lysine's serotonin lowering effects have had anything to do with your experience?

It didn't feel like it, it felt like something stimulating had been added that hit the sweetspot. I used to take a lot of tianeptine last winter and a lot of cypro last may, since then I've been kind of uninterested and unenthusiastic about things. I remember that's when it started.

L

lollipop

It didn't feel like it, it felt like something stimulating had been added that hit the sweetspot. I used to take a lot of tianeptine last winter and a lot of cypro last may, since then I've been kind of uninterested and unenthusiastic about things. I remember that's when it started.
Sweet. Glad it worked! I love lysine tbt...