Harvard urging people to not drink milk.

chris

This article is ******* ridiculous. The title is completely different from what they talk about.

"strong rebuttal from Harvard pediatrician David Ludwig who argues that dairy products with added sweeteners are a detriment to one’s health."

They say the issue is low fat milk "causes" people to sugar their milk more...? I guess you could say they have a point that pure sugar without adequate nutrition behind it can be detremental, but that is far from what we encourage here.

The articles sources link to another article which looks identical to this one, picture and all. It also cites a study damning saturated fat.

Completely ignore it. Drink your milk in peace.

4peatssake

mandance said:
http://www.whydontyoutrythis.com/2013/07/harvard-scientists-urge-you-to-stop-drinking-milk.html

I was under the ussumption from Ray Peat, that drinking milk was relatively safe, even if it was non organic. What do you guys think? I know most of the milk I see has Vitamin A and D added but could there be greater risks beyond that?
This is a really bad article.

The headline is completely misleading and alarmist.

The Havard pediatrician being quoted is warning people about milk from cows loaded with antibiotics and fed a diet of grains and soy.

That's not milk. :lol:

While saturated fat was discredited for decades, full-fat dairy (raw, organic, and from grass-fed cows) has been found in research to potentially promote heart health, control diabetes, aid in vitamin absorption, lower bowel cancer risk, and even aid in weight loss. But while pure dairy could promote your health, conventional dairy may prove damaging.

Before you drink your next glass of conventional milk, please educate yourself as to what you are consuming. You’d be surprised that there could be painkillers, antibiotics, and much more lurking in your milk.

You'll hear all of us here say the same thing.

Beware of crappy "journalism" and in this case, I use the term loosely.
Just look at how misleading all this is.

The age-old saying that drinking milk is one of the keys to good health received a strong rebuttal from Harvard pediatrician David Ludwig who argues that dairy products with added sweeteners are a detriment to one’s health.

Drinking reduced-fat milk inadvertently encourages the consumption of added sugars. There have been countless pieces of research concluding the ill effects of sugar-sweetened beverages and the over-consumption of sugar has been tied to obesity, diabetes, inflammatory-related pain, and much more.

Again, none of that is milk.

jyb

That article actually made me very thirsty. I rushed down to the kitchen to down a pint of my favorite milk.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
jyb :rolling

4peatssake

jyb said:
That article actually made me very thirsty. I rushed down to the kitchen to down a pint of my favorite milk.
lol-lol-male-smiley-smiley-emoticon.gif

milk-milk-breakfast-cow-smiley-emot.gif

OP
mandance

mandance

Haha, you guys crack me up. I figure that was all nonsense. I saw it being discussed on Facebook and decided to post it here. They also mention antibiotics in milk, I haven't heard of that before either.

4peatssake

mandance said:
Haha, you guys crack me up. I figure that was all nonsense. I saw it being discussed on Facebook and decided to post it here. They also mention antibiotics in milk, I haven't heard of that before either.
They feed the antibiotics to the cows. ;)

Jenn

Milk is a MUCH cleaner product than any other farmed animal product. Milk that has even trace of antibiotics would be tossed (which means one sloppy farmer can ruin the whole truckload of milk for everyone else on the route). Antibiotics in meat is a different story.

Asimov

Jenn said:
Milk is a MUCH cleaner product than any other farmed animal product. Milk that has even trace of antibiotics would be tossed (which means one sloppy farmer can ruin the whole truckload of milk for everyone else on the route). Antibiotics in meat is a different story.

Agreed. In addition, out of the all the common farmed animals, dairy cows are treated BY FAR the most ethically and humanely. Dairy cows are treated closer to gods than to the property. They wander about when they want, where they want, they have access to good feed and temperature controlled environments, and even bGH treated milk is becoming more and more rare.

Out of all the animals products you can get at the store, milk is probably derived from the healthiest animals.

OP
mandance

mandance

It would also seem that the cows themselves, have one of the most efficient filtering systems in the world. A liver.

montmorency

Speaking of which, my wife and I were out for a country walk today. We were walking by the side of a river and entered a field that had cows in. There was a wire fence keeping the cows out of the river, but most of them were on that side, and we had to wend our way through the narrow gap that they left.(This was on a public-footpath / right of way: we were not trespassing). My wife was a bit scared, but I at least had to pretend I wasn't scared. I kind of talked to them and made up names for them ("Daisy, Maisie..." etc :) ), and slowly they let us through. We thanked them for letting us through at the end. :) They are lovely really, especially the eyes, but they could do you a power of no good if they took a dislike to you.

Last week, we were not so lucky / brave. A different field, and the footpath went over a stile into their field, and the cows were leaning right over the stile, and right along the whole length of the fence. I might just have risked it, but my wife wouldn't, so we had to trespass a bit in that case, to get round them. Of course the farmer spotted us, then had a good laugh at us when we explained, then showed us the way around.

Ironically, I have cousins who farm cows (not in this area), and my Grandfather kept milk cows at one time, and my Dad would have been involved with them for a time. They would also have probably had a good laugh at us as well.

Still, laughing matter or not, "townies" should probably treat unknown cows with the greatest respect, just to be on the safe side. Anyone who has seen the film "Tamara Drewe" will know what I mean.

Sorry for this comedy diversion, but I was also going to add that we actually saw loads of other cows today in other fields, further away, and it was great to see: cows eating grass so that I don't have to.

Jenn

Most dairy cows are going to be fairly docile, but there will always be a few who deserve to be hamburger. I once drove by my neighbors field shortly after one of his beef cows had given birth. She gave me the evil eye, looked like she wanted to kill me. I drove off as fast as I could. Being in a vehicle and having a fence between us was not a comfort.<L>

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals