Haribo Gummy Bears And Msg?

i've seen haribo gummy bears as a recommended food on this forum and I wanted to know if there should be any concern in regards to the ingredients...they are as follows:

Corn Syrup, Sugar, Gelatin, Dextrose, Citric Acid, Starch, Artificial and Natural Flavors, Fractionated Coconut Oil, Carnauba Wax, Beeswax Coating, Artificial Colors: Fd & C No. 5, Red No. 40, Blue No. 1.

Aren't artificial and natural flavors excitoxins or msg which kills brain cells?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
mdr, thank you for bringing that to my attention. I will be removing them from the list. Can't remember who suggested those but I should have checked into them further.

nwo2012

mdrsports31 said:
i've seen haribo gummy bears as a recommended food on this forum and I wanted to know if there should be any concern in regards to the ingredients...they are as follows:

Corn Syrup, Sugar, Gelatin, Dextrose, Citric Acid, Starch, Artificial and Natural Flavors, Fractionated Coconut Oil, Carnauba Wax, Beeswax Coating, Artificial Colors: Fd & C No. 5, Red No. 40, Blue No. 1.

Aren't artificial and natural flavors excitoxins or msg which kills brain cells?

Yes but they were recommending the Eupean ones. As with coke, vaccines etc you yanks are deliberately being poisoned (moreso than the rest of the world).

European Ingredients: Glucose syrup; sugar; gelatin; dextrose; fruit juice from concentrate: apple, strawberry, raspberry, orange, lemon, pineapple; citric acid, lemon, pineapple; citric acid; fruit and plant concentrates: nettle, apple, spinach, kiwi, orange, elderberry, lemon, mango, passionfruit, blackcurrant, aronia, grape; flavorings; glazing agents: white and yellow beeswax; carnauba wax; elderberry extract; fruit extract from carob; invert sugar syrup

Personally I would suggest the Yummy Earth brand. Pretty cheap at iherb too.

Dont be silly, msg is actually good for you. In fact it's so good that it is actually in some vaccines.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OP
O
nwo2012 said:
mdrsports31 said:

Yes but they were recommending the Eupean ones. As with coke, vaccines etc you yanks are deliberately being poisoned (moreso than the rest of the world).

European Ingredients: Glucose syrup; sugar; gelatin; dextrose; fruit juice from concentrate: apple, strawberry, raspberry, orange, lemon, pineapple; citric acid, lemon, pineapple; citric acid; fruit and plant concentrates: nettle, apple, spinach, kiwi, orange, elderberry, lemon, mango, passionfruit, blackcurrant, aronia, grape; flavorings; glazing agents: white and yellow beeswax; carnauba wax; elderberry extract; fruit extract from carob; invert sugar syrup

Dont be silly, msg is actually good for you. In fact it's so good that it is actually in some vaccines.

yummy earth brand has it too:

Other Ingredients: Organic rice syrup, organic cane sugar, gelatin, organic carrot juice, organic aronia juice, organic balck currant, organic curcuma, natural flavor, citric acid, ascorbic acid, organic sunflower oil, organic carnuba wax

OP
O
mdrsports31 said:
nwo2012 said:
mdrsports31 said:

yummy earth brand has it too:

Other Ingredients: Organic rice syrup, organic cane sugar, gelatin, organic carrot juice, organic aronia juice, organic balck currant, organic curcuma, natural flavor, citric acid, ascorbic acid, organic sunflower oil, organic carnuba wax

nevermind....

9: Natural Flavors:
Have a question about their Natural Flavors in their organic candy?
YummyEarth flavors in their organic candy are Organic Compliant Natural Flavors and conform to the regulations of both the FDA and the USDA's National Organic Plan (NOP). All of the flavor components are derived naturally from fruit and root extracts and the solvents used as carriers are actually natural, such as glycerine derived from vegetables or safflower oil. These YummyEarth natural flavors do not contain MSG or other junk that they would not be proud to put in their family's mouths.

Examples:
Natural Flavor for Cheeky Lemon - From the skins of lemons, either cold pressed or distilled, then folded (heated to drive off some of the water) to make them more concentrated. Natural Flavor for Roadside Root Beer - From Oil of Wintergreen in a solvent system of Safflower Oil

OP
O
nwo2012 said:
mdrsports31 said:

and don't act like everything in europe is safe....you guys have plenty of fluoride in your water

chris

There is actually very little fluoridation of water in Europe.

nwo2012

OrangeJuiceManiac said:
nwo2012 said:
OrangeJuiceManiac said:

and don't act like everything in europe is safe....you guys have plenty of fluoride in your water

Vey little of Europe is fluridated. Ireland is the worst. England has a little. Scotland has none.
Now Im in Australia, one of the most fluridated countries in the world! But you get me wrong, mass murder is occuring worldwide. :tinfoilhat

Rachel

OrangeJuiceManiac said:

Nope. Some food companies MAY hide a form of msg under the term "natural flavors". "Artificial and natural flavors" does not necessarily indicate the presence of msg.

Charlie said:
mdr, thank you for bringing that to my attention. I will be removing them from the list. Can't remember who suggested those but I should have checked into them further.
Whoa, whoa, whoa!!
1sm276cavalry_zpsda669a5e.gif

See above. :mrgreen:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Thanks Rachel and NWO. I do plan on adding them back. I just wanted to take them down until we knew for sure.

OP
O
Rachel said:
mdrsports31 said:

Nope. Some food companies MAY hide a form of msg under the term "natural flavors". "Artificial and natural flavors" does not necessarily indicate the presence of msg.

Charlie said:
Whoa, whoa, whoa!!
1sm276cavalry_zpsda669a5e.gif

See above. :mrgreen:

well shouldn't we determine if it is or isn't the case before we add it back?

OP
O
They are all known allergens, or "pseudoallergens," and the yellow and red have been associated with hyperactivity, but they aren't excitotoxins in the standard sense.

On Jan 23, 2013, at 12:48 PM, TP wrote:

Dr. Peat,

Do you believe that the following ingredients in Haribo Gummy Bears contain any excitotoxins?

Corn Syrup, Sugar, Gelatin, Dextrose, Citric Acid, Starch, Artificial and Natural Flavors, Fractionated Coconut Oil, Carnauba Wax, Beeswax Coating, Artificial Colors: Fd & C No. 5, Red No. 40, Blue No. 1

BingDing

Some background for people not up to speed on this, from a Sally Fallon article on broth. The Maillard reaction is what makes those browned corners of roasts so tasty. Fallon talks mostly about meat flavor, I'm not sure what other flavors have been produced by hydrolyzing grain and legume protein.

Cutting Corners

Research on gelatin came to an end in the 1950s because the food companies discovered how to induce Maillard reactions and produce meat-like flavors in the laboratory. In a General Foods Company report issued in 1947, chemists predicted that almost all natural flavors would soon be chemically synthesized. And following the Second World War, food companies also discovered monosodium glutamate (MSG), a food ingredient the Japanese had invented in 1908 to enhance food flavors, including meat-like flavors. Humans actually have receptors on the tongue for glutamate. It is the protein in food that the human body recognizes as meat.

Any protein can be hydrolyzed to produce a base containing free glutamic acid or MSG. When the industry learned how to make the flavor of meat in the laboratory, using inexpensive proteins from grains and legumes, the door was opened to a flood of new products including bouillon cubes, dehydrated soup mixes, sauce mixes, TV dinners and condiments with a meaty taste. "Homemade" soup in most restaurants begins with a powdered soup base that comes in a package or can and almost all canned soups and stews contain MSG, often found in ingredients called hydrolyzed porteins. The fast food industry could not exist without MSG and artificial meat flavors to make "secret" sauces and spice mixes that beguile the consumer into eating bland and tasteless food.

Short cuts mean big profits for producers but the consumer is short changed. When homemade stocks were pushed out by cheap substitutes, an important source of minerals disappeared from the American diet. The thickening effects of gelatin could be mimicked with emulsifiers but the health benefits were lost.

Most serious, however, were the problems posed by MSG, problems the industry has worked very hard to conceal from the public. In 1957, scientists found that mice became blind and obese when MSG was administered by feeding tube. In 1969, MSG-induced lesions were found in the hypothalamus region of the brain. Other studies all point in the same direction--MSG is a neurotoxic substance that causes a wide range of reactions, from temporary headaches to permanent brain damage.

Why do consumers react to factory-produced MSG and not to naturally occurring glutamic acid found in food? One theory is that the glutamic acid produced by hydrolysis in factories contains many isomers in the right-handed form, whereas natural glutamic acid in meat and meat broths contains only the left-handed form. L-glutamic acid is a precursor to neurotransmitters, but the synthetic form, d-glutamic acid, may stimulate the nervous system in pathological ways.

As I understand it, hydrolyzed protein is itself MSG or inherently includes MSG.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:shock:

Ummmmmmm. :?

Ulla

So are european haribo bears "safe"?
For time to time? :)

Back
Top Bottom