Haribo Gummy Bears And Msg?

Discussion in 'Sweets, Snacks' started by OrangeJuiceManiac, Jan 17, 2013.

1. OrangeJuiceManiac

OrangeJuiceManiac Member

i've seen haribo gummy bears as a recommended food on this forum and I wanted to know if there should be any concern in regards to the ingredients...they are as follows:

Corn Syrup, Sugar, Gelatin, Dextrose, Citric Acid, Starch, Artificial and Natural Flavors, Fractionated Coconut Oil, Carnauba Wax, Beeswax Coating, Artificial Colors: Fd & C No. 5, Red No. 40, Blue No. 1.

Aren't artificial and natural flavors excitoxins or msg which kills brain cells?

2. charlie

charlie The Law & Order Admin

mdr, thank you for bringing that to my attention. I will be removing them from the list. Can't remember who suggested those but I should have checked into them further.

3. kiran

kiran Member

Sweet things usually don't have msg.

4. nwo2012

nwo2012 Member

Yes but they were recommending the Eupean ones. As with coke, vaccines etc you yanks are deliberately being poisoned (moreso than the rest of the world).

European Ingredients: Glucose syrup; sugar; gelatin; dextrose; fruit juice from concentrate: apple, strawberry, raspberry, orange, lemon, pineapple; citric acid, lemon, pineapple; citric acid; fruit and plant concentrates: nettle, apple, spinach, kiwi, orange, elderberry, lemon, mango, passionfruit, blackcurrant, aronia, grape; flavorings; glazing agents: white and yellow beeswax; carnauba wax; elderberry extract; fruit extract from carob; invert sugar syrup

Personally I would suggest the Yummy Earth brand. Pretty cheap at iherb too.

Dont be silly, msg is actually good for you. In fact it's so good that it is actually in some vaccines.

5. charlie

6. OP
    OrangeJuiceManiac

OrangeJuiceManiac Member

yummy earth brand has it too:

Other Ingredients: Organic rice syrup, organic cane sugar, gelatin, organic carrot juice, organic aronia juice, organic balck currant, organic curcuma, natural flavor, citric acid, ascorbic acid, organic sunflower oil, organic carnuba wax

7. OP
    OrangeJuiceManiac

OrangeJuiceManiac Member

nevermind....

9: Natural Flavors:
    Have a question about their Natural Flavors in their organic candy?
    YummyEarth flavors in their organic candy are Organic Compliant Natural Flavors and conform to the regulations of both the FDA and the USDA's National Organic Plan (NOP). All of the flavor components are derived naturally from fruit and root extracts and the solvents used as carriers are actually natural, such as glycerine derived from vegetables or safflower oil. These YummyEarth natural flavors do not contain MSG or other junk that they would not be proud to put in their family's mouths.

Examples:
    Natural Flavor for Cheeky Lemon - From the skins of lemons, either cold pressed or distilled, then folded (heated to drive off some of the water) to make them more concentrated. Natural Flavor for Roadside Root Beer - From Oil of Wintergreen in a solvent system of Safflower Oil

8. OP
    OrangeJuiceManiac

OrangeJuiceManiac Member

and don't act like everything in europe is safe....you guys have plenty of fluoride in your water

9. chris

chris Member

There is actually very little fluoridation of water in Europe.

10. gretchen

gretchen Member

I ate a lot of gummy bears in junior high; had a rapid weight gain.

11. nwo2012

nwo2012 Member

Vey little of Europe is fluridated. Ireland is the worst. England has a little. Scotland has none.
    Now Im in Australia, one of the most fluridated countries in the world! But you get me wrong, mass murder is occuring worldwide. :tinfoilhat

12. Rachel

Rachel Member

Nope. Some food companies MAY hide a form of msg under the term "natural flavors". "Artificial and natural flavors" does not necessarily indicate the presence of msg.

Whoa, whoa, whoa!! [​IMG]

See above. :mrgreen:

13. charlie

Thanks Rachel and NWO. I do plan on adding them back. I just wanted to take them down until we knew for sure.

14. OP
    OrangeJuiceManiac

OrangeJuiceManiac Member

well shouldn't we determine if it is or isn't the case before we add it back?

15. Rachel

Rachel Member

Give Haribo a ring, msdrsports31, and see what they say!

16. OP
    OrangeJuiceManiac

OrangeJuiceManiac Member

They are all known allergens, or "pseudoallergens," and the yellow and red have been associated with hyperactivity, but they aren't excitotoxins in the standard sense.

On Jan 23, 2013, at 12:48 PM, TP wrote:

Dr. Peat,

Do you believe that the following ingredients in Haribo Gummy Bears contain any excitotoxins?

Corn Syrup, Sugar, Gelatin, Dextrose, Citric Acid, Starch, Artificial and Natural Flavors, Fractionated Coconut Oil, Carnauba Wax, Beeswax Coating, Artificial Colors: Fd & C No. 5, Red No. 40, Blue No. 1

17. Rachel

Rachel Member

Of course, like the rest of us, Dr. Peat does not know if there is msg hidden
    in the natural flavors of a Haribo gummy bear. [​IMG]
    Only Haribo knows for sure.

18. BingDing

BingDing Member

Some background for people not up to speed on this, from a Sally Fallon article on broth. The Maillard reaction is what makes those browned corners of roasts so tasty. Fallon talks mostly about meat flavor, I'm not sure what other flavors have been produced by hydrolyzing grain and legume protein.

As I understand it, hydrolyzed protein is itself MSG or inherently includes MSG.

19. charlie

:shock:

Ummmmmmm. :?

20. Ulla

Ulla Member

So are european haribo bears "safe"?
    For time to time? :)