Hard To Find These Essential Oils - Any Leads?

yerrag

I came across this review article, about new approaches to combat biofilms from P. Gingivalis bacteria, a periodontal bacteria I'm finding ways to overcome: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5405727/pdf/zjom-9-1300366.pdf

It mentions many essential oils that I couldn't find by searching with Google. These oils are either very new, or just not being sold because they're not popular.

Does anyone here know where to find these essential oils?

Aloysia gratissima
Muhlenbergia glomerata
Cyperus articulatus
Lippia sidoides
Shiitake

Thanks!

SOMO

1. Methylene Blue + Red Light destroy oral bacteria.
https://www.worldscientific.com/doi/abs/10.1142/S1793545811001745
The microbiological study has shown total suppression of pathogenic flora after a 3-min exposure to the dye solution followed by a 20-sec treatment with the R-LETB

This study talks about S. Mutans, but if I had to speculate, I would assume this is a general cytotoxic/antibiotic effect, not one just limited to S. Mutans.
Under the experimental conditions assessed, our findings indicate that a twice-daily treatment with diode laser combined with methylene blue effectively decreased bacterial viability and the intra- and extracellular polysaccharide concentration in biofilms of S. mutans, a cariogenic bacterium.

2. As does Xylitol, so does Erythritol.
Xylitol Inhibits Inflammatory Cytokine Expression Induced by Lipopolysaccharide from Porphyromonas gingivalis
xylitol on the growth of Streptococcus mutans, one of primary causative agents of dental caries has been reported (7, 35, 45). However, little is known about the effect of xylitol on the growth of P. gingivalis or on periodontal disease.

Our present study demonstrated that xylitol is able to inhibit LPS-induced TNF-α and IL-1β gene expression and protein synthesis (Fig. (Fig.3)3) and that it is also able to inhibit LPS-induced NF-κB activation by pretreatment with xylitol (Fig. (Fig.4).4). Furthermore, xylitol directly inhibited the growth of P. gingivalis (Fig. (Fig.5).5). These data suggest that the antiperiodontitis effect of xylitol could be obtained from dual mechanisms. One is from the inhibitory effect of xylitol on the production of inflammatory cytokines, which is regulated at the transcriptional level by NF-κB. The other is that the growth of P. gingivalis is inhibited when it is cultured with xylitol. The inhibitory effect of xylitol on the growth of mutans streptococci has been widely known (21, 39, 46). The mechanism of xylitol on impaired growth of mutans streptococci is suggested to be an intracellular accumulation of xylitol 5-phosphate, and this xylitol 5-phosphate inhibits the activity of bacterial glycolytic enzymes (43).

This strategy facilitates a significant increase in the ability of sugar alcohols to disperse aggregated exopolysaccharides. In this work, it was demonstrated that the mixture of betaine and erythritol existed as a complex in water and that the complex induced a spontaneous detachment of biofilms from the surface to which the biofilms had been adhered. This detachment resulted from a reduction in adhesive forces of the biofilms due to an increase in solubility of bacterial exopolysaccharides. The effects triggered by the formation of complex between zwitterion and sugar alcohol provide a simple and safe way to remove biofilms without antibiotics and physical forces.

3. As does regular old Listerine (the alcoho"l kind, not the alcohol-free kind.)
The efficacy of antimicrobial mouth rinses in oral health care. - PubMed - NCBI
Listerine, an antimicrobial mouth rinse, completely killed microorganisms in 10 to 30 seconds; the microbes includes methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus pyogenes, Helicobacter pylori, Candida albicans, Streptococcus mutans, Actinomyces viscosus, Porphyromonas gingivalis, Prevotella intermedia, and Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans. Listerine was also weakly effective in inactivating human immunodeficiency viruses. Bacteria in samples collected from human dental plaque and saliva were completely killed within 30 seconds when exposed to Listerine.

I know the Listerine brand may not seem like an objective source but: Biofilm Penetration vs CPC
LISTERINE® ANTISEPTIC PENETRATES PLAQUE BIOFILM DEEPER THAN CETYLPYRIDINIUM CHLORIDE (CPC)†
Rinses containing cetylpyridinium chloride only go so far, and in lab studies they have been proven to kill less bacteria.1

Recommend a rinse with deeper plaque biofilm penetration: (confocal microscopy of living biofilm cells [green] and dead biofilm cells [red] at deepest layer).1
https://www.listerineprofessional.com/sites/listerinepro_us/files/biofilm_listerine_vs_cpc.jpg

4. As does Metronidazole + Amoxicillin
Systemic antibiotic therapy in periodontics
Antibiotics that can achieve 90% inhibition of growth of an organism appear on the 100% line. The most effective antibiotics for treatment of a particular periodontal pathogen are those that equal or exceed the 100% value.

Periodontal diseases in which antibiotics can be used:
  1. Chronic periodontitis: Antibiotic therapy is usually recommended for patients showing progressive periodontal breakdown even after conventional mechanical treatment, patients not responding to periodontal therapy (refractory periodontitis) and patients with recurrent disease.[1,4] Reviewing pertinent literature[25] use of following antibiotics has been suggested:

Tetracycline, Doxycycline, Metronidazole, Clindamycin, Amoxicillin + Clavulinic acid (Augmentin), Azithromycin, Metronidazole + Amoxicillin, Spiramycin.

2. Aggressive periodontitis: Localized aggressive periodontitis (LAP) mostly involving Aggregatibacteractinomycetemcomitan scan be controlled or eradicated by systemic metronidazole-amoxicillin combination therapy.[1] Other antibiotics recommended for both localized and generalized aggressive periodontitis are:[2,3,5]

Tetracycline, Doxycycline, Minocycline, Metronidazole, Amoxicillin + Clavulinic acid (Augmentin), Metronidazole + Amoxicillin.

3. Necrotizing periodontal diseases: Patients with moderate or severe NUG or necrotizing ulcerative periodontitis (NUP), local lymphadenopathy and systemic involvement need antibiotic therapy. Antibiotics recommended are amoxicillin, metronidazole and combination of amoxicillin+metronidazole.[1,3,5]

Comparing the Antimicrobial In Vitro Efficacy of Amoxicillin/Metronidazole against Azithromycin—A Systematic Review
AMX + MTZ reduced the biofilm 27% more than AZM [14]. The metabolic activity was reduced 84% through AMX + MTZ whereas only by 17% through AZM [65]. The MIC and MBIC of AMX + MTZ in combination was found to be almost 10-fold lower than the one of AZM [46].

Taken together, all of the studies reported on more pronounced antimicrobial effects (biofilm reduction, growth inhibition or reduction of metabolic activity) of AMX + MTZ compared to AZM in in vitro biofilm models.

Instead of looking for these esoteric oils, maybe try simple, inexpensive and readily available remedies first?

What's that thing Occam used to shave with? ;)

Last edited:
OP
yerrag

yerrag

1. Methylene Blue + Red Light destroy oral bacteria.
https://www.worldscientific.com/doi/abs/10.1142/S1793545811001745

2. As does Xylitol, so does Erythritol.
Xylitol Inhibits Inflammatory Cytokine Expression Induced by Lipopolysaccharide from Porphyromonas gingivalis

3. As does regular old Listerine (the alcohol kind, not the alcohol-free kind.)
The efficacy of antimicrobial mouth rinses in oral health care. - PubMed - NCBI

4. As does Metronidazole + Amoxicillin
Systemic antibiotic therapy in periodontics

Instead of looking for these esoteric oils, maybe try simple, inexpensive and readily available remedies first?

What's that thing Occam used to shave with? ;)
Yeah, I know. But desperate times need desperate measures. Been in this rathole too long, the ordinary is just ordinary, which is pretty useless.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I doubt I'll be able to get answers here, but it's worth a try. I just wrote Linda at www.hopewelloils.com and see if she can help me. It's a nice family run store of essential oils. Got lotsa stuff but not the above items I'm looking for. She's probably the best person to ask.

Jennifer

I came across this review article, about new approaches to combat biofilms from P. Gingivalis bacteria, a periodontal bacteria I'm finding ways to overcome: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5405727/pdf/zjom-9-1300366.pdf

It mentions many essential oils that I couldn't find by searching with Google. These oils are either very new, or just not being sold because they're not popular.

Does anyone here know where to find these essential oils?

Aloysia gratissima
Muhlenbergia glomerata
Cyperus articulatus
Lippia sidoides
Shiitake

Thanks!
Hi yerrag! I tried finding those essential oils (also tried via their common names) but had no luck. I have quite a few sites I get my essential oils from, but the closes I could find was verbena — a couple of the ones you have listed are part of the verbena family. By chance, have you tried other herbs to overcome the bacteria? I ask because I had luck treating my dog's advanced periodontal disease (was so bad I could see the roots of his canines, multiple teeth were loose and he was scheduled to have at least 4 extracted) with an herbal formula called Heal All. Within a day of taking it, his chronic halitosis was gone and within months his teeth were firmly locked in his jaw and his gums had completely regenerated — the vet gave him a clean bill of health, completely forgetting that she had him scheduled to have teeth pulled. In case this may be of help, these are the herbs used in the formula:
  • White Oak Bark
  • Plantain Leaf
  • Pau d’Arco Bark
  • Juniper Berry
  • Chaparral Herb
  • Burdock Root
  • Marshmallow Root
  • Comfrey Root & Leaf
It's not just antimicrobial but also alkalizing and can be used as a mouth wash — held in the mouth for at least 5 minutes — and taken internally. Both my mum and I have used it to overcome tooth pain, infections and in her case, vaginal polyps. Our tooth pain was gone within the first day of taking it. I've also used a herbal antimicrobial to overcome a mold infection in 3 months that contained:
  • Pau d’ Arco bark
  • Cat’s Claw bark
  • Goldenseal root
  • Black Walnut hulls
  • Echinacea Angustifolia root
  • Olive leaf extract
  • Usnea Lichen
  • Lomatium root
  • Butternut bark
  • Thyme leaf
  • Barberry root

Last edited:

Jennifer

I doubt I'll be able to get answers here, but it's worth a try. I just wrote Linda at www.hopewelloils.com and see if she can help me. It's a nice family run store of essential oils. Got lotsa stuff but not the above items I'm looking for. She's probably the best person to ask.
Smart idea! I hope she can help. :)

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Hi yerrag! I tried finding those essential oils (also tried via their common names) but had no luck. I have quite a few sites I get my essential oils from, but the closes I could find was verbena — a couple of the ones you have listed are part of the verbena family. By chance, have you tried other herbs to overcome the bacteria? I ask because I had luck treating my dog's advance periodontal disease (was so bad I could see the roots of his canines, multiple teeth were loose and he was scheduled to have at least 4 extracted) with an herbal formula called Heal All. Within a day of taking it, his chronic halitosis was gone and within months his teeth were firmly locked in his jaw and his gums had completely regenerated — the vet gave him a clean bill of health, completely forgetting that she had him scheduled to have teeth pulled. In case this may be of help, these are the herbs used in the formula:
  • White Oak Bark
  • Plantain Leaf
  • Pau d’Arco Bark
  • Juniper Berry
  • Chaparral Herb
  • Burdock Root
  • Marshmallow Root
  • Comfrey Root & Leaf
It's not just antimicrobial but also alkalizing and can be used as a mouth wash — held in the mouth for at least 5 minutes — and taken internally. Both my mum and I have used it to overcome tooth pain, infections and in her case, vaginal polyps. Our tooth pain was gone within the first day of taking it. I've also used a herbal antimicrobial to overcome a mold infection in 3 months that contained:
  • Pau d’ Arco bark
  • Cat’s Claw bark
  • Goldenseal root
  • Black Walnut hulls
  • Echinacea Angustifolia root
  • Olive leaf extract
  • Usnea Lichen
  • Lomatium root
  • Butternut bark
  • Thyme leaf
  • Barberry root
Great! Thanks Jennifer. Hey, I'm not blaming you for using your dog to test things first before you use it. In fact, I learned a lot from treating my cats and then realizing that stuff really works. From your dog's testimonial, I'm going to try it! Not only do we save our pets, we save ourselves.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

@Jennifer I can't find Heall All online. Where did you buy it?

Jennifer

Great! Thanks Jennifer. Hey, I'm not blaming you for using your dog to test things first before you use it. In fact, I learned a lot from treating my cats and then realizing that stuff really works. From your dog's testimonial, I'm going to try it! Not only do we save our pets, we save ourselves.
You're welcome! :) Oh, no, sorry for the confusion. I always experiment on myself first. I had already been using the herbal formulas for a couple years with positive results before ever using them on my dog. I also spoke with my doctor (she's schooled in herbs) and contacted Dr. Morse's clinic to make sure they were safe to use on him prior to doing so.
@Jennifer I can't find Heall All online. Where did you buy it?
I buy the herbs online from places like Mountain Rose Herbs and make my own or I get the Heal All here:

Dr Robert Morse's Heal All Tea | Our Botanicals Worldwide

You probably already know this but just in case, you may want to check with your doctor first before using the Heal All, especially if you're taking any medications.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

You're welcome! :) Oh, no, sorry for the confusion. I always experiment on myself first. I had already been using the herbal formulas for a couple years with positive results before ever using them on my dog. I also spoke with my doctor (she's schooled in herbs) and contacted Dr. Morse's clinic to make sure they were safe to use on him prior to doing so.

I buy the herbs online from places like Mountain Rose Herbs and make my own or I get the Heal All here:

Dr Robert Morse's Heal All Tea | Our Botanicals Worldwide

You probably already know this but just in case, you may want to check with your doctor first before using the Heal All, especially if you're taking any medications.
I was just kidding, Jennifer, on the pets. I'd admit though that inadvertently I had to learn some of mistakes I made in caring for my pets. Some even died. Like when I thought raw was good, but raw fish is too high in thyroid. One cat had thyroid lumps and died shortly after. Then two cats had them, and I got rid of them giving them selenium. Needless to say, I stopped feeding them raw fish, and I remove the head and innards, and I had to supplement the cooked fish with taurine. That's just one lesson.

My consolation is that the pets didn't suffer. They lived a good life, although I wish they still with me.

Aloysia gratissima
Grows all around here and used a lot in folk medicine. I didn't find any comercial source of essencial oil. Will ask tomorrow my wife, one of her clients is an owner of essencial oils shop.
Cyperus articulatus
This one is available. First link I found Óleo Essencial de Priprioca - GT Índia - Laszlo - 10,1ml
Lippia sidoides
Grows all around right here where I am. Here is the first link I found.
Óleo Essencial de Alecrim Pimenta 10,1ml

Last edited:

Jennifer

I was just kidding, Jennifer, on the pets. I'd admit though that inadvertently I had to learn some of mistakes I made in caring for my pets. Some even died. Like when I thought raw was good, but raw fish is too high in thyroid. One cat had thyroid lumps and died shortly after. Then two cats had them, and I got rid of them giving them selenium. Needless to say, I stopped feeding them raw fish, and I remove the head and innards, and I had to supplement the cooked fish with taurine. That's just one lesson.

My consolation is that the pets didn't suffer. They lived a good life, although I wish they still with me.
Whoops! Ahh...the joys of communicating via the internet. I'm sorry to hear about your cat. That was an honest mistake. I made mistakes too. It's interesting that your cats weren't avoiding the thyroid portion of the fish when they were getting too much of it, but maybe I'm giving domesticated animals too much credit in terms of natural instincts. My cat was very particular about what she would or wouldn't eat and I thought she knew something I didn't, but who knows?

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Grows all around here and used a lot in folk medicine. I didn't find any comercial source of essencial oil. Will ask tomorrow my wife, one of her clients is an owner of essencial oils shop.

This one is available. First link I find Óleo Essencial de Priprioca - GT Índia - Laszlo - 10,1ml

Grows all around right here where I am. Here is the first link I find.
Óleo Essencial de Alecrim Pimenta 10,1ml

Wow! That's awesome. Is Brazil shipping to US easy? I'll have to ship to the US to my online forwarder, who ships it to me in the Phlippines. I can't trust regular mail, especially when it's international to the Philippines.

Brazil must be special. How come your stores sell EOs the rest of the world don't sell?

You will have to talk to the shops your self. I can get you some shops numbers from São Paulo they likely speak English and shipping from SP is much easier and cheaper than from the place I am.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

This one looks like the japanese umbrella plant, which I have in my backyard. But, it''s cyperus scatiosus though.
On this link they say it's imported from India. Probably you can have it in SE Asia

Back
Top Bottom