Hans' fat loss journey

Sam321

I'd just stick with coffee instead of supplementing caffeine.
Thanks bro. 3 cups dark a day it is.
Something I noticed first day on that stack was slight jitters and like 10% better vison.

Last edited:
OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thanks bro. 3 cups dark a day it is.
Something I noticed first day on that stack was slight jitters and like 10% better vison.
Anything pro-GABA should help against the jitters. Higher dose taurine perhaps.

Gûs80

Anything pro-GABA should help against the jitters. Higher dose taurine perhaps.
Hello Hans. I read on your website about your starch-free experience. How were your muscle mass gains vs body fat loss during this period? Are you still on starch restriction?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hello Hans. I read on your website about your starch-free experience. How were your muscle mass gains vs body fat loss during this period? Are you still on starch restriction?
Zero difference in muscle gains or fat loss. My weight didn't even fluctuate one bit. I only eat bananas and occasionally popcorn and that's the only starch sources atm.

Gûs80

Zero diferença em ganhos musculares ou perda de gordura. Meu peso não flutuou nem um pouco. Eu só como bananas e ocasionalmente pipoca e essa é a única fonte de amido atm.
Excellent. Here is my testimony:
I've been on a diet since New Year's, recommended by a bodybuilder doctor. I started with 30% BF, 97 kg (1.80m tall). After 2,5 months I lost 6 kg of weight. Next week I do a new bioimpedance, but I notice that I gained muscle mass, even in a caloric deficit.

-Protein: 202g
-Carb: 103g
-Fat: 73g
-Approx: 1877kcal

-ABC training 2x,
-cardio LISS(110 to 130bpm) 30 min/day

High protein is critical in the healthy weight loss process. There is a very good Brazilian sports nutritionist who even recommends 3.3g of protein/kg, to break the plateau after a few months in a caloric deficit with 2-2.5g/kg.

As I am pre-diabetic, I still feel bad when I eat some foods, especially after cereal. So I replaced all sources of starch with sucrose, honey, fruits and vegetables. Let's see if the weight changes. I added demerara sugar to the coffee and I had one of the best workouts of my life. I felt the pump that many bodybuilders report feeling with starch.

I have very high cortisol at night and chronic insomnia since I was 15 (currently 41). So I'm testing 5mcg of T3 before bed and it has helped a lot, and honey if you wake up in the middle of the night.

About low-intensity aerobics, I decided to do it after a video from another very renowned bodybuilder doctor in Brazil recommended it.

Dr Paulo Muzy says that:

- improves circulation, therefore peripheral delivery of nutrients
- decreases (a lot) post-workout late pain. I felt this too much, you can train really hard and be great the next day.
- increases the recruitment of subcutaneous fat
- increases the caliber of veins and arteries (dilation and pump).
- improves peripheral insulin resistance
- improves intracellular glucose uptake

I've read Dr Ray talk against aerobic exercises, but of the marathon type. I believe that low intensity is different, because it is something as natural as a slightly faster walk.

You know what Dr Peat thinks about low-intensity cardio?

FitnessMike

what do your diet and supplementation consist of now?

Gûs80

Zero difference in muscle gains or fat loss. My weight didn't even fluctuate one bit. I only eat bananas and occasionally popcorn and that's the only starch sources atm.

I don't know if you've read this study published in 2021.

"Discussion: A diet high in sucrose or starch induces less obesity and obesity-associated complications. Moreover, switching obese mice to a sucrose-rich diet elicits weight loss and decreases obesity-induced metabolic complications, highlighting the potential of carbohydrates to treat obesity."

And other published in 2017

"Mice fed a high-sucrose diet showed resistance to body weight gain, in comparison with mice fed a high-starch diet or control diet, due to increased energy expenditure. "

milkboi

"Discussion: A diet high in sucrose or starch induces less obesity and obesity-associated complications. Moreover, switching obese mice to a sucrose-rich diet elicits weight loss and decreases obesity-induced metabolic complications, highlighting the potential of carbohydrates to treat obesity."

"Mice fed a high-sucrose diet showed resistance to body weight gain, in comparison with mice fed a high-starch diet or control diet, due to increased energy expenditure. "
Damn!

kYgirl

I wonder then how much sucrose humans need to get the same result?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter

Yes I've seen them. But try not to get too carried away with this is better than that and now I can eat a ton of this and am "supposed" to lose fat. Humans are different from animals. I've never experienced a difference in fat gain or fat loss whether my diet was clean or not. It comes down to calories in and calories out. Only the hard gainers can eat slightly more than the average, but they should not be the norm.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
@Hans What is your waist measurement around your naval?
I measure and the reading came back saying: "fat".
Will continue losing weight. :)
P.s. it's 38". Not too proud of that.

Sam321

I measure and the reading came back saying: "fat".
Will continue losing weight. :)
P.s. it's 38". Not too proud of that.
Don't sweat it man.
I have an entire different perspective on size now that I put on some fat.

I do muay thai and that extra weight hits like a ton of bricks. Also, I think body image stuff is very distorted due to the culture we live in. As long as you big, move like a cat, and are happy, what else can a man ask for?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Don't sweat it man.
I have an entire different perspective on size now that I put on some fat.

I do muay thai and that extra weight hits like a ton of bricks. Also, I think body image stuff is very distorted due to the culture we live in. As long as you big, move like a cat, and are happy, what else can a man ask for?
Yeah agreed. We measure ourselves so much to numbers which we think we should be. But what really matters is how we feel and how we look. If you look lean and have a good V-taper, but your waist is 36 vs 30, it doesn't matter.

76er

Yeah agreed. We measure ourselves so much to numbers which we think we should be. But what really matters is how we feel and how we look. If you look lean and have a good V-taper, but your waist is 36 vs 30, it doesn't matter.
Yes, V-taper is the most important with regards to male physique aesthetics.

Take Arnold in the original Conan. He stated in article that the director wanted him not as cut for the role to be more realistic so Arnold said he ate normally and shot the film at 12% BF. Looking at some of the movie stills I'd say he might have been even near 15% BF. Based on his height that might have translated to 35" or even 36". Disclaimer: measuring around the naval is not perfect because it doesn't account for lower back (erector spinae) and abdominal muscle sizes. Height matters too.

That all said, a certain leanness promotes a V-taper and since muscle building is harder and slower (at least for me) my primary battle is "in the kitchen" so to speak.

Even though my maintenance is around ~3.5K calories it is surprising how easy it can be to go over that amount and how hard it can be to run a deficit.

Again, measuring around the naval isn't perfect but gives one a quick and pretty accurate progress report on V-taper.
I also then check the scale. If my waist is the same and and am up a pound in weight I have good reason to believe I gained some muscle.
I also know that there is more factors to consider but I record the results weekly and over time I should have some good data.

Regarding muscle building and V-taper, I believe the pecs and lats are the priority. Delts, arms and traps are of secondary priority.
Personally, I think a man should work towards a muscular lower body but that muscle group would be a third priority regarding V-taper ofc.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals