Handheld red light has changed my life!

OccamzRazer

For a little less than a month I've been using a handheld red light (orange+red+infrared) for a few minutes daily.

The results have been incredible!

For reasons too complex to describe here, I live with my ex (lol), and prior to using this red light I was getting this relationship-PTSD-thing that made it feel tough to breathe unless I really focused on taking deep breathes.

That's pretty much gone now.

Just a minute or two of red light exposure, and I can power through hours of stressful stuff while feeling fully calm and deeply 'oxygenated' the whole time. Usually use the light for a couple minutes several times a day. I haven't really noticed other benefits yet, except maybe slightly better endurance while working out.

But for anxiety...the red light has been life-changing. Better than CBD, THC, other cannabinoids, pregnenolone, progesterone, tobacco, alcohol, or anything else I've tried.

Hope this will help others. If nothing else, I'm sharing because I can hardly believe it. Had no idea red light was this powerful!

Glad to hear red light is working out so well for you. Thanks for posting.

I also have found red light helpful lately, though I don't think I've optimized my use of it, and I haven't obtained benefits as dramatic as yours.

Can you say more about how you use red light? For example, on which parts of your body do you shine the light, and how far from your skin do you hold the device? Also would be curious to know more about the particular device you're using.

Nathan777

Would be curious to know how you use it. I own a Red Light Man Mini and an LGS1, but never used them consistently because there were so many conflicting thoughts on dosing and use. Didn't want to fry my thyroid or testicles lol, but also appreciate the power of photomodulation so may have to look into it further again.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Glad to hear red light is working out so well for you. Thanks for posting.

I also have found red light helpful lately, though I don't think I've optimized my use of it, and I haven't obtained benefits as dramatic as yours.

Can you say more about how you use red light? For example, on which parts of your body do you shine the light, and how far from your skin do you hold the device? Also would be curious to know more about the particular device you're using.
Thanks for the kind words!

I have this light: Orange & Red - Handheld Device - 610nm - 630nm - 670nm - LGS1 (lifegivingstore.com)

I use it first thing every morning for 1-2 minutes. Mostly on the face (not in eyes!), neck, and hairline, though I also shine it on my stomach and nether regions.

I use it again every afternoon for another 1-2 minutes. Mostly on the face (not in eyes) and neck.

If it's been a stressful day and I notice some anxiety coming back, I'll use it again in the evening for 30 seconds-1 minute. Mostly on the face (not in eyes)and neck.

Honestly I just try to go by feel. I hold it about 6 inches away from my body. It doesn't feel too intense from that distance at all.

Also keep in mind that I was already getting a lot of sunlight. So the red light was conferring something that no amount of sunlight could.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Would be curious to know how you use it. I own a Red Light Man Mini and an LGS1, but never used them consistently because there were so many conflicting thoughts on dosing and use. Didn't want to fry my thyroid or testicles lol, but also appreciate the power of photomodulation so may have to look into it further again.
Right on, I have the LGS1 too!

Maybe just try using it consistently for a month and see if you feel any different?

After recognizing what the effects of the light feel like, it's become pretty easy to dose by feel. Almost like I can tell if my body is craving it.

Nathan777

Right on, I have the LGS1 too!

Maybe just try using it consistently for a month and see if you feel any different?

After recognizing what the effects of the light feel like, it's become pretty easy to dose by feel. Almost like I can tell if my body is craving it.
Awesome. You've motivated me to pull mine out again. I suspect yeah even just a minute or two is better than nothing. Just have to resist the urge most of us have where we always think more is better and overdo things haha. Decent article I've referenced before, but quickly got overwhelmed with the math trying to find "perfect" dose Complete guide to light therapy dosing - Red Light Man

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

One other factor here, meant to mention it earlier:

In addition to using red light daily, I've been wearing blue-blocking sunglasses for most of the day, and every time I use the computer/phone.

They may also be contributing to the anti-anxiety effects, as they do feel very relaxing. But they're not the primary factor - I started with them first and didn't notice any huge change.

My theory is that many people have chronic blue light toxicity (in addition to PUFA overload and so many other things), in which case overcompensating by blocking blue and focusing on red is warranted. For me, at least, it's working!!

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Awesome. You've motivated me to pull mine out again. I suspect yeah even just a minute or two is better than nothing. Just have to resist the urge most of us have where we always think more is better and overdo things haha. Decent article I've referenced before, but quickly got overwhelmed with the math trying to find "perfect" dose Complete guide to light therapy dosing - Red Light Man
You totally should get it out again!

If nothing else, maybe just use it in the morning?

Jack Kruse, for all his vanity, had some good info about why doing this could prevent sunburn by 'priming' the skin to receive more light later on.

Thanks for the link, good details here. I wish Red Light Man would just make a dosing calculator on their site, wouldn't be that hard to do.

Tho I disagree with their chart, the one that shows lots of red light being worse than none. If diminishing returns are noticed, a solution might be just to put the light farther away. Might have to experiment with using red light as background lighting throughout the entire day lol.

Nathan777

You totally should get it out again!

If nothing else, maybe just use it in the morning?

Jack Kruse, for all his vanity, had some good info about why doing this could prevent sunburn by 'priming' the skin to receive more light later on.

Thanks for the link, good details here. I wish Red Light Man would just make a dosing calculator on their site, wouldn't be that hard to do.

Tho I disagree with their chart, the one that shows lots of red light being worse than none. If diminishing returns are noticed, a solution might be just to put the light farther away. Might have to experiment with using red light as background lighting throughout the entire day lol.
That was the popular thing on here for a while right? Just basking under big ol' heat lamps in reflectors lol. Sounds pretty cozy. My desk lamp has an Edison bulb in it that puts of tons of heat and it's pretty nice all day working near it.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Administering red light primes the skin to receive more sun light?

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

That was the popular thing on here for a while right? Just basking under big ol' heat lamps in reflectors lol. Sounds pretty cozy. My desk lamp has an Edison bulb in it that puts of tons of heat and it's pretty nice all day working near it.
Haha that does sound nice, especially in wintertime...

Nathan777

Found this calculator: Universal Dosage Calculatior for Red Light Therapy! Find your optimal time per session!
Power density at various distances is found here: LGS1: Orange & Red 610nm - 630nm - 670nm

So for instance at 8" you have 50mw/cm2, plug that into calculator, add whatever your dose goal is, say 3 Joules which I guess is sort of average, works out to 1 minute to reach dose. Can play around with desired dose as well as distances.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Administering red light primes the skin to receive more sun light?
According to him, yes!

The thinking goes that morning sunlight (which is richer in red) or just pure red light both help structure skin in such a way that it's easier to get tan while avoiding sunburns. Anecdotally this seems true.

Of course, Jack had a hyper-technical way of explaining this effect. I read about it in one of his blogs somewhere, maybe one of the ones about building the 'solar callus.'

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
According to him, yes!

The thinking goes that morning sunlight (which is richer in red) or just pure red light both help structure skin in such a way that it's easier to get tan while avoiding sunburns. Anecdotally this seems true.

Of course, Jack had a hyper-technical way of explaining this effect. I read about it in one of his blogs somewhere, maybe one of the ones about building the 'solar callus.'
Very cool. Thank you. :hattip

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Found this calculator: Universal Dosage Calculatior for Red Light Therapy! Find your optimal time per session!
Power density at various distances is found here: LGS1: Orange & Red 610nm - 630nm - 670nm

So for instance at 8" you have 50mw/cm2, plug that into calculator, add whatever your dose goal is, say 3 Joules which I guess is sort of average, works out to 1 minute to reach dose. Can play around with desired dose as well as distances.
Nice find! Will play around with this.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin